Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View Gay, Bullying, and Suicide
2 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 9:50PM #51
mountain_man

May 11, 2012 -- 9:36PM, mainecaptain wrote:

This is how I view his behaviour as well.
It was physical assault, he should have been arrested for it.

This was not a prank like ringing door bells. It was a criminal assault.

Funny thing is (Not ha ha funny)

By saying he does not remember, he is being more insulting to the victim, because he is saying the person and the event was not important enough to remember them. That actually makes it even worse.

Further, has he assaulted so many, he has forgotten who they are? No I don't believe that, but that is how he comes off, of course you never know do you?

He has assaulted many people since then and shows no remorse at all. Those companies his corporation took over and closed down, all those people out of a job, and he shows not one bit of remorse for that. Romney is not someone I'd care to get to know.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 10:00PM #52
rangerken

I graduated from high school in 1961. I had several fights. I broke one boy's nose and another boy's arm. They were 'fair fights', but I was not exactly a 'pacifist' as a teenager. I was suspended from school for a week for the nose break. The two of us just didn't like each other. The other boy got suspened also. For the arm break nothing happened to me because the other boy came at me with a baseball bat first. He was upset about my going out with his girl friend...LOL.

Today, no doubt, the police would be involved. In 1961 it was a boys being boys thing...period!

I didn't know if any of my classmates were homosexual. They certainly would have kept it secret if they were...1961,!!!...get it? If any were and we knew would we have attacked them?... probably not BUT, would we have called them names like queer or fag, absolutely yes. Again, 1961!!!!!

I discovered at my 50th high school reunion this past October that one of my classmates had indeed been homosexual. He died of AIDs. He was a good guy, a friend, and I never knew he was gay.

Once again...1961!!!!!!

Different world, different mores, different attitudes...simple as that.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 10:30PM #53
farragut

Yeah, Ken. They were different times, but also, apparently, different areas. I was class of '57 in a small school in northern New England. There were at least four gay fellows in school with us, though none in my class, that I know of. Yet little was said about it. Common knowledge that generally was none of our business.

Had a couple of friends in nearby dorm rooms in college that were quite open about their lives. Always enjoyed chatting with them, learning about their concerns as to how their lifestyle would affect their careers. For the cellist it was no big thing; for the Air Force officer it was a bit different. Regrettably, we lost contact and I have no follow-up at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 10:17AM #54
REteach

But Ken

a) you are citing a one on one fight, not leading a "posse" of kids to assault another. (This incident was independently verified by 5 witnesses, all but one of whom were willing to speak on the record.)

b) you do not seem to be dismissing it as "pranks and hijinks"

Yes, high school and college kids can do stupid stuff. Leadiing a mob to attack an individual and then dismissing it as a "prank and hijinks" does not show a current level of maturity to me. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 1:00PM #55
mainecaptain

May 12, 2012 -- 10:17AM, REteach wrote:

But Ken

a) you are citing a one on one fight, not leading a "posse" of kids to assault another. (This incident was independently verified by 5 witnesses, all but one of whom were willing to speak on the record.)

b) you do not seem to be dismissing it as "pranks and hijinks"

Yes, high school and college kids can do stupid stuff. Leadiing a mob to attack an individual and then dismissing it as a "prank and hijinks" does not show a current level of maturity to me. 

Exactly.

Funny isn't it how he led a "posse" must be because he was wealthy. Inner city kids would have been called a "gang". And assaulting by someone with a "gang",  if he had not been "wealthy" he would have been arrested, and at least been fined for the assault.

One on one fight is not a gang assaulting you. A one on one fight would probably gotten him suspended from school as well, but attacking and assaulting another student while leading a "gang", got him nothing. He can strut around like a peacock because of it.

He has no morality, he has no conscience. He really shows strong sociopathic signs.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 4:43PM #56
karbie

I knew who many of the gay guys were in high school--1970's. I could relax and be myself because all they wanted was my company. I dated one guy for months--to all intents and purposes we were a "couple", although we actually had a crush on the same guy. He did trot out one of the more unique reasons for sex--that he'd been with guys but for me he thought he could go bi. (Didn't work, by the way.)

Lady Gaga and her mother have launched the Born This Way Foundation, and when they had the launch at Harvard, she said that we needed to focus on the bullies as well as the victims if we were going to anywhere.

It was part of an in-depth interview with Oprah, and  she told of an incident that happened to her in middle school. A group of guys and 'popular" girls attacked her, lifting her and putting her head-first into a trash barrel. When they decided to let her out, she was crying. One of the girls dismissed her tears as not being able to see that the whole thing was a joke. Being humiliated is never a joke. Being deliberately cruel is never a joke.

Shipping jobs, shutting plants, and destroying the stability of thousands of former employees lives and the communities they live in isn't  being Mr. Wonderful. Of course, he's fine.

His posse just does business this way. High spirits and all that.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 8:24PM #57
mountain_man

May 12, 2012 -- 1:00PM, mainecaptain wrote:

....He has no morality, he has no conscience. He really shows strong sociopathic signs.

Uh... who is "he"? You just described every Republican president since Reagan. Surprised

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 8:26PM #58
mainecaptain

May 12, 2012 -- 8:24PM, mountain_man wrote:

May 12, 2012 -- 1:00PM, mainecaptain wrote:

....He has no morality, he has no conscience. He really shows strong sociopathic signs.

Uh... who is "he"? You just described every Republican president since Reagan.

LOL, You are right .

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 1:49PM #59
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook