Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Separate Water Fountains in Iran for Baha'is; Shades of Segregation!
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 10:32AM #11
mytmouse57

May 8, 2012 -- 9:56AM, Ken wrote:

May 8, 2012 -- 1:24AM, in_my_opinion wrote:

Get to know the Bahá'ís in your own locality. (We are the second most widely distributed Faith (after Christianity) on the planet, it should be easy.)

Not really. There are fewer than 170,000 Baha'is in the United States. Many communities have none. In my area there are so few that they're still meeting in private homes. 

But, you're aware of them... which sort of proves IMO's point.

I've lived in teeny rural Western communities most of my life, and always found other Baha'is.

In the town I'm in now, I'm the only one. However, just down the road, there is a Baha'i community, so I'm able to attend events from time to time. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 3:45PM #12
mainecaptain

None around here, living openly anyway. And oddly my area is fairly diverse. So they would have nothing to fear being open, So I really doubt there are any .

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 3:53PM #13
Thetwofish

I have never met anyone who stated that their faith or religion was Baha'i.  I have lived on this planet and in this country for 52 years.

I can understand why I never met anyone in my early years due to the fact that I was raised in an extremely predominant Christian area...the Bible Belt.

But...I have lived in California for 30+ of those years and I have never met a Baha'i here either and this is a distinctly multi-cultural area.

Just my two cents.

Peace

<'{{><

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 3:55PM #14
Thetwofish

Addition:  The only information that I have ever gleaned on the Baha'i religion is here.  Never even heard of it until I joined BN.

Peace

<'{{><

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 4:13PM #15
mytmouse57

May 8, 2012 -- 3:55PM, Thetwofish wrote:

Addition:  The only information that I have ever gleaned on the Baha'i religion is here.  Never even heard of it until I joined BN.

Peace

<'{{><

You're never going to see something, if you're not looking for it.

There are complex and vibrant Hispanic communities all over my part of the country. But many people who have lived here for most, or all, of their lives aren't aware of it, because they never bothered to look.

Trust me, there are probably very big and active Baha'i communities in your part of Cali. You should be able to locate one easily, if you wish. 

Also, while the Baha'i Faith encourages "teaching" to those who wish to know, we're forbidden from agressive prosthelytizing. 

And, you might very well know, or know of people who are Baha'i, but the subject never came up, so they never felt compelled to tell you.

Granted, I'm a exceptionatly private person, in my personal life, at least. Some days, my idea of a whopping good time is being out somewhere with nobody but my dogs, and they don't talk much religion.

But my job is actually quite public. And there are people who have known me for years, who have no clue I'm Baha'i. I don't think any of my current co-workers do. 

If somebody asks me about my religon, I'll tell them. I'm hardly ashamed of it. Or, if I'm in a situation where religion is the topic -- such as in a loosey organized interfaith discussion group we have here -- I'll talk volumes about it.

But -- Think about it. In day-to-day, regular casual social or business contact, how common a question is "what's your religion?"  

So, forgive me for being long-winded, but there's a good chance you might already know a Baha'i or some Baha'is.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 4:31PM #16
mytmouse57

May 8, 2012 -- 3:45PM, mainecaptain wrote:

None around here, living openly anyway. And oddly my area is fairly diverse. So they would have nothing to fear being open, So I really doubt there are any .

What I told twofish. I'd almost be willing to bet you might already know a Baha'i or some Baha'is. But the occassion to ask those particular people about religion never came up.

It's not like we walk around wearing T-shirts that say, "I'm Baha'i."

Plus, my Grandma told me (as maybe yours told you), "There are three things other people really don't want to hear about. Your religion, your politics and your health problems."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 5:02PM #17
mainecaptain

Peace

<'{{><

I had already heard of their existence because I met a person who travelled the entire country in his youth and he had either met or heard about them, but I have never met one in person that ever said. And I have travelled quite about both in this country and a couple of others. 

I had no idea what they were about or what they actually believed until I  came to bnet. But since so many Baha'i,  on other boards claim to have been every other faith at one time or another, or understand every other faith on the planet, I still don't know what those here stand for.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 5:03PM #18
Ken

May 8, 2012 -- 10:32AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Get to know the Bahá'ís in your own locality. (We are the second most widely distributed Faith (after Christianity) on the planet, it should be easy.)

Not really. There are fewer than 170,000 Baha'is in the United States. Many communities have none. In my area there are so few that they're still meeting in private homes.

Actually, I'm not aware of them. I had to google them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 5:09PM #19
mainecaptain

May 8, 2012 -- 5:03PM, Ken wrote:

May 8, 2012 -- 10:32AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Actually, I'm not aware of them. I had to google them.

I am aware of many things, that does not make those things important, or a force for anything

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 7:12PM #20
mytmouse57

May 8, 2012 -- 5:02PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Peace

<'{{><

I had already heard of their existence because I met a person who travelled the entire country in his youth and he had either met or heard about them, but I have never met one in person that ever said. And I have travelled quite about both in this country and a couple of others. 

I had no idea what they were about or what they actually believed until I  came to bnet. But since so many Baha'i,  on other boards claim to have been every other faith at one time or another, or understand every other faith on the planet, I still don't know what those here stand for.

Those are some broad, and unfair statements, you've made.

Baha'is come from many backgrounds. You can find those who have never been any religion -- and some who came from some sort of previous religious background.

I happen to have been Christian during my early life, and atheist a little later on -- before going on a long quest of sorts, that eventually led me to the Baha'i Faith. 

That's not made up or some attempt to make myself look better. It's just a simple fact, that I would hope to help frame some of my perspective, for people who don't know me. 

As to us claiming to know all the religions better than anybody else, that's pure poppycock. I think some of us know some very well. I myself have stated, I simply don't know enough about Buddhism to make any sort of informed commentary related to that partiular religion.

Hence, when the common objection comes up that Buddah could not have been -- as the Baha'i Faith claims -- a Manifestation of God, because he supposedly did not claim any God(s), I simply stand aside and ask that people try to find either a Baha'i from a Buddhist background, or one with a good understanding of Buddhism, to have those discussions with.

Lilwabbit, on the other hand, seems to understand Buddhism very well, and is better at adressing those points.

Likewise, I know a little more about Islam, but am far from an expert in it.

Having been Christian, and being well-versed in it, I can hold an intelligent and informed discussion/debate on Christian subjects. For example, I can take on questions related to the Trinity, or Jesus' supposed status as literally God in the flesh. 

So, anyway, please try to be honest, and stick with what people have actually said. 

And, for the record, you might not know what I "stand for," becuase you've never bothered to ask. 

So... perhaps try suspending the hostility and... ask me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook