Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Family Locked in Restaurant for Refusing to Pay Tip
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 3:41AM #11
Ebon

May 3, 2012 -- 2:12PM, Ironhold wrote:

Can we say "kidnapping"?

If I was a cop, that's what I'd consider charging the restaraunt staff with.

IIRC, the victim has to be moved to constitute a charge of kidnapping. Keeping the victim in one place against their will would seem more likely to be a charge of "false imprisonment".

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 7:13AM #12
costrel

May 3, 2012 -- 12:28PM, REteach wrote:

Even rotten wait staff have to pay taxes on tips they don't receive.  I think we should get rid of tips and should just have the cost as part of the meal.  

I agree. Get rid of tips and pay servers at least minimum wage. None of this pay servers two and a half dollars an hour and expect them to make the rest up with tips. When I lived in Japan, there was no such thing as tipping, and the service was always excellent, no matter where I ate. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 12:03PM #13
Girlchristian

May 4, 2012 -- 7:13AM, costrel wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 12:28PM, REteach wrote:

Even rotten wait staff have to pay taxes on tips they don't receive.  I think we should get rid of tips and should just have the cost as part of the meal.  

I agree. Get rid of tips and pay servers at least minimum wage. None of this pay servers two and a half dollars an hour and expect them to make the rest up with tips. When I lived in Japan, there was no such thing as tipping, and the service was always excellent, no matter where I ate. 

As a former waiter, there were many nights where I made WAY more than minimum wage because of tips. I wouldn't agree with doing away with tips and just going to minimum wage.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 7:59PM #14
REteach

You should not have been paid the minimum wage. They should have figured in a tip into the cost of the meal. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 8:08PM #15
arielg

What has be done away with is the mandatory part of tipping. A good waiter will always get good tips.  It is the ones who are not good and expect a tip anyway, that irritates people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 4:18AM #16
shmuelgoldstein

May 3, 2012 -- 8:44AM, Girlchristian wrote:

www.click2houston.com/news/Family-says-r...

...  But Marks said when they questioned it the workers wouldn't let her or her friends leave; she claims they locked the door ...

If this is true, it sounds like they are guilty of kidnapping.

Much more serious than a question about a bill.

Ah, read the other posts. OK, then, false imprisonment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 3:34AM #17
Swim4fun

May 3, 2012 -- 8:44AM, Girlchristian wrote:

www.click2houston.com/news/Family-says-r...

Jasmine Marks said she was trying to enjoy dinner recently with several friends at La Fisherman, located at 1935 Highway 6 South. She said the service was less than stellar; the wait staff was rude, their drinks didn't get refilled and they didn't receive their entire order.

When the bill came, Marks said there was a problem. The restaurant added an automatic 17 percent gratuity because their party had more than five people in it, but Marks didn't feel like the staff earned the full tip so she asked to speak to a manager.

The gratuity policy was clearly marked on the restaurant's menus. But Marks said when they questioned it the workers wouldn't let her or her friends leave; she claims they locked the door and called the police.

While as someone that has waited tables, I completely understand the automatic gratuity policy on larger policies, I don't agree with the fact that tip is part of the bill and refusing to pay a tip or a 17% tip is the same as refusing to pay one's bill. Every restaurant I ever worked at had the automatic tip policy, but would remove the tip if the patron felt the waitstaff did a poor job. As a waitress, I certainly didn't expect a good tip if I knew my service, for whatever reason, was bad. Thoughts?

I agree that satisfied service deserves a good tip and poor service does not.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 12:34PM #18
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 5:35AM #19
Estacia

Some things in life need to be "let go" this is one of them.The staff should of let this one slide due to "bad" service.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook