Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Family Locked in Restaurant for Refusing to Pay Tip
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 8:44AM #1
Girlchristian
www.click2houston.com/news/Family-says-r...

Jasmine Marks said she was trying to enjoy dinner recently with several friends at La Fisherman, located at 1935 Highway 6 South. She said the service was less than stellar; the wait staff was rude, their drinks didn't get refilled and they didn't receive their entire order.

When the bill came, Marks said there was a problem. The restaurant added an automatic 17 percent gratuity because their party had more than five people in it, but Marks didn't feel like the staff earned the full tip so she asked to speak to a manager.

The gratuity policy was clearly marked on the restaurant's menus. But Marks said when they questioned it the workers wouldn't let her or her friends leave; she claims they locked the door and called the police.

While as someone that has waited tables, I completely understand the automatic gratuity policy on larger policies, I don't agree with the fact that tip is part of the bill and refusing to pay a tip or a 17% tip is the same as refusing to pay one's bill. Every restaurant I ever worked at had the automatic tip policy, but would remove the tip if the patron felt the waitstaff did a poor job. As a waitress, I certainly didn't expect a good tip if I knew my service, for whatever reason, was bad. Thoughts?

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 10:23AM #2
rocketjsquirell

The tip (To Insure Prompt Service) is voluntary and is not part of the bill. Customs about tipping change from place to place but no one should ever be forced to pay a tip. Just so you know, we here in the Philaadelphia metro area have the highest average tip percentage (@ 20%) in the country. I do not know if we get the best service  in the country. Most people pay the full tip (when the service is ok or better) but leave less or nothing when the service is poor or worse.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 10:39AM #3
arielg

Tipping is an extra to reward  specially good service.  That is the idea. Bringing the food or going through the movements is included in the price.

Automatic tipping is absurd.  If it is going to be automatic, it should be included in the  prices.

In many European and South American countries they  add it automatically and now the custom is to leave a small extra amount on top of that anyway. (That is the real tip) 

Automatic tipping  is a distortion of a concept.  Owners  use it to pay the waiters less than they should.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 11:14AM #4
mytmouse57

Whatever happened to just making people do the dishes if they didn't pay/tip?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 11:56AM #5
Cesmom

How completely ridiculous!  I have waitressed before.  I know that most restaurants will automatically add gratuity to parties of 8 or more.  But I have never heard of a restaurant who wouldn't drop the tip and go out of their way to appease a customer who was unhappy with their service.  This place obviously knows nothing of customer service and won't be in business for long, I'm sure.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 12:23PM #6
Fodaoson

May 3, 2012 -- 8:44AM, Girlchristian wrote:

www.click2houston.com/news/Family-says-r...

Jasmine Marks said she was trying to enjoy dinner recently with several friends at La Fisherman, located at 1935 Highway 6 South. She said the service was less than stellar; the wait staff was rude, their drinks didn't get refilled and they didn't receive their entire order.

When the bill came, Marks said there was a problem. The restaurant added an automatic 17 percent gratuity because their party had more than five people in it, but Marks didn't feel like the staff earned the full tip so she asked to speak to a manager.

The gratuity policy was clearly marked on the restaurant's menus. But Marks said when they questioned it the workers wouldn't let her or her friends leave; she claims they locked the door and called the police.

While as someone that has waited tables, I completely understand the automatic gratuity policy on larger policies, I don't agree with the fact that tip is part of the bill and refusing to pay a tip or a 17% tip is the same as refusing to pay one's bill. Every restaurant I ever worked at had the automatic tip policy, but would remove the tip if the patron felt the waitstaff did a poor job. As a waitress, I certainly didn't expect a good tip if I knew my service, for whatever reason, was bad. Thoughts?

Thanks for the post,  I live just off of  Hiway  6 about 100 miles north of Houston ; now I Know a place NOT to eat at.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 12:28PM #7
REteach

Even rotten wait staff have to pay taxes on tips they don't receive.  I think we should get rid of tips and should just have the cost as part of the meal.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 2:12PM #8
Ironhold

Can we say "kidnapping"?

If I was a cop, that's what I'd consider charging the restaraunt staff with.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 7:45PM #9
Fodaoson

Attempting to leave a restaurant without paying the bill is shoplifting and a suspected shop lifter can be detained,  

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 11:09PM #10
Ironhold

May 3, 2012 -- 7:45PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Attempting to leave a restaurant without paying the bill is shoplifting and a suspected shop lifter can be detained,  

There's a difference between that and "we object to paying a tip because we feel the service was poor."

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook