Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is No Place Fair or Safe to Be Gay in America?
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 2:35PM #1
Do_unto_others

Attorney’s Office Excluded Gay Jurors in Equality 9 Trial

Source: Attorney’s Office Excluded Gay Jurors in Equality 9 Trial | NBC San Diego

"the San Diego City Attorney’s office challenged one prospective juror after he acknowledged he was gay and dismissed another gay man from the jury pool."

So much for liberty and JUSTICE for ALL in America.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 3:44PM #2
Do_unto_others

Discuss.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 5:10PM #3
Abner1

Well, you see, gay people are all biased against straights, but straight people are not biased against gays.  Therefore it is right and proper for everyone to be judged by straights (since their judgment is right and normal), but wrong and improper for anyone to be judged by gays (since their judgment is evil and perverted).  This is not an example of bias, since straights are never biased against gays.  Keep telling yourself that until it makes sense or you have an aneurism - that's an order.

Oy.  *bangs head on table*

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 5:24PM #4
Do_unto_others

Was that an attempt at humor?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 5:27PM #5
farragut

"Discuss."

Was that a command?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 5:30PM #6
Do_unto_others

No. It was an invitation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 6:10PM #7
Abner1

Do_Unto_Others wrote:

> Was that an attempt at humor?

Yep, albeit so outraged that it probably wasn't very funny.  Sometimes you have to laugh because otherwise you'll have to cry ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 6:38PM #8
mainecaptain

May 2, 2012 -- 6:10PM, Abner1 wrote:

Do_Unto_Others wrote:

> Was that an attempt at humor?

Yep, albeit so outraged that it probably wasn't very funny.  Sometimes you have to laugh because otherwise you'll have to cry ...

This I agree with. Because so many times I do want to cry.

bigots are bastards

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 6:58PM #9
solfeggio

I was surprised that this happened in California, which we have always thought was one of the most liberal, open-minded states.

However, it should be noted that the judge scolded the prosecutor for dismissing the gay juror.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/...

However, there was a similar case in New York last year in which a gay man said he couldn't be impartial in a jury trial because he was a gay second-class citizen:

blogs.villagevoice.com/dailymusto/2011/0...

But, what is surprising, is that apparently it is legal to discriminate against LGBT jurors.

www.queerty.com/did-you-know-its-legal-t...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 9:37PM #10
mountain_man

He was dismissed because he could not be impartial, not because he was gay. This was about the art of jury selection, not gay rights. If he was dismissed from a trial that had nothing to do with protesters being arrested during a demonstration about gays, then that would be wrong.

At least that what I think it was about.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook