Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Scratch a homophobe and find a racist
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 2:31PM #1
Do_unto_others

North Carolina Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment 1 Reportedly Written To Protect 'Caucasian Race'

""The reason my husband wrote Amendment 1 was because the Caucasian race is diminishing and we need to uh, reproduce."

"Pressed on whether she had used the word "Caucasian," she said, "I probably said the word," but that she hadn't used it in a race-related manner."

More at:

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/02/north-...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 3:45PM #2
Do_unto_others

Hey, Christians, care to reply?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 4:56PM #3
mytmouse57

May 2, 2012 -- 3:45PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Hey, Christians, care to reply?

Probably not. Unless they are members of the KKK, which considers itself a "Christian" organization. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 6:45PM #4
solfeggio

Well, I am not a Christian (thank goodness), but I'll reply anyway, because I am a big fan of Huffpost and think they tell it like it is. 

I think mytmouse is on to something when he makes the reference to the KKK.  Because this sort of incredibly idiotic rhetoric sounds not just homophobic but racist as well.

Under what rocks do they find these people like this North Carolina state senator and his crackbrained wife?

Moving right along...one person who replied to the piece in Huffpost noted that 'all of this increased hostility towards immigration, assault on reproductive rights, and the push to legislate sexual behavior are really based on the GOP's fear of changing demographic in the U.S.'

The comments after a piece are sometimes more telling than what you read in the piece itself.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 9:40PM #5
mountain_man

Now that I think about it, yes, homophobia, racism, and christian extremism are often found in the same person. The disconcerting part is that they vote in a bloc and have more power than they deserve.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 12:09PM #6
mytmouse57

May 2, 2012 -- 9:40PM, mountain_man wrote:

Now that I think about it, yes, homophobia, racism, and christian extremism are often found in the same person. The disconcerting part is that they vote in a bloc and have more power than they deserve.

The most vehmently hateful people I've known haven't been particularly religious.

In fact, I think I've heard more than one of them say things such as "church is for pussies."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 12:22PM #7
REteach

Hadn't used it in a race related manner?  ROTFLMAO!  Freudian slip!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 10:32PM #8
mountain_man

May 3, 2012 -- 12:09PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

The most vehmently hateful people I've known haven't been particularly religious.

I live out in the country where the majority are Republican, christian, ultra right wing, and bigots. Many of them spew hatred in every discussion. It makes me embarrassed to be of the same "race" as them. They recently had a Civil War reenactment here. They had to force some of the reenactors to be on the USA side.

In fact, I think I've heard more than one of them say things such as "church is for pussies."

Nope. Not one of them would ever say that. They'd look down on you for not believing or going to church.

As Mark Twain said; "Christians are only good for two hours a week... while in church."

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 4:27PM #9
mytmouse57

May 3, 2012 -- 10:32PM, mountain_man wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 12:09PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I live out in the country where the majority are Republican, christian, ultra right wing, and bigots. Many of them spew hatred in every discussion. It makes me embarrassed to be of the same "race" as them. They recently had a Civil War reenactment here. They had to force some of the reenactors to be on the USA side.

Nope. Not one of them would ever say that. They'd look down on you for not believing or going to church.

As Mark Twain said; "Christians are only good for two hours a week... while in church."

I live "out in the Country" too. Have all my life. And I've spent considerable time in cities as well. There are ignorant, hateful people wherever one goes. Again, in my experience, religion didn't seem to affect that much either way. And some of the more vehmently hateful people I've encountered were as hostile toward religion as they were everything and everybody else.

You love to imagine things and cast people according to your own biased views. And Christianity and political conservatives are your favorite targets. You type-cast, and you judge.

Which is ironic and irrational.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 4:43PM #10
farragut

"

religion didn't seem to affect that much either way"

So, it has no effect on people?

Doesn't improve them?

Are we surprised?

Quick Reply
Cancel