Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View Scratch a homophobe and find a racist
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 7:46PM #51
mainecaptain

May 7, 2012 -- 5:27PM, Ken wrote:

May 7, 2012 -- 3:15PM, farragut wrote:

May I comment on a point of this dialogue? Yes, there still are a few responsible conservative Republicans. I consider myself to be one in the tradition of the late great Margaret Chase Smith. My fundamental positions include limited government, fiscal responsibility, strong national defense, respect for the Constitution, and individual freedom.  That last point is most pertinent to this discussion, for individual freedom means that the government must stay to hell out of people's bedrooms, their wombs, their doctor's offices, and their personal contracts.

I had almost forgotten about Margaret Chase Smith. Nowadays she's not called a "conservative" Republican - she's called a moderate Republican or even (strange as it may sound) a liberal Republican. Back in the day, she was simply a Republican. I'm just old enough to remember when that kind of Republican wasn't unusual. They were well-educated, well-bred, generous, public-spirited, and religiously tepid (Episcopalian). Nice people.

I think people like her,cared about the country and its people. And people on both sides could probably have been dexribed that way.

Now those is power don't give a flying (bad word). They are in it for themselves and what they can get out of it. Not people not the country.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 12:30AM #52
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2012 - 9:47PM #53
klm

[

[/quote]

I live "out in the Country" too. Have all my life. And I've spent considerable time in cities as well. There are ignorant, hateful people wherever one goes. Again, in my experience, religion didn't seem to affect that much either way. And some of the more vehmently hateful people I've encountered were as hostile toward religion as they were everything and everybody else.

[/quote]

I agree.    Those I encountered with the most biased miserable outlook weren't Christians, (not that there aren't any)   To say that Christians are hateful is prejudiced statement.    I know many, many practicing Christians.   This people would be there for anyone with words of encouragement if your down, food, furniture, help in paying your rent etc..    Ive never, ever come across a practicing Christian who said hateful, mean things to another.   With that being said, yes there  are some but they have their own brand of Christianity.   Not the Christianity I know.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2012 - 9:50PM #54
klm

or to say any religion is filled with hateful people...just wanted to clarify.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook