Post Reply
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View The Republican party - no safe place for gays
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 1:51PM #21
mountain_man
Posts: 39,147

May 7, 2012 -- 1:40PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

There were 4 topics I  wanted to begin discussions on. Get over it.


Good topics too. The thing is that if someone doesn't like a topic they are not forced to participate in it. Complaining about a topic is bad form.


May 6, 2012 -- 2:39PM, Marcion wrote:

Then you must be new here (or have an extremely selective memory) because I've encountered scads of it - much of it from so-called "Christians". I could make you a list.


I too have seen quite a bit of venom towards homosexuals. Not all from christians though, some bahai have joined in.


There are many from both those religions that have no problem with homosexuals and actually support their causes. It's only the fringe that are homophobic and I have no doubt that many of them do so out of fear of their own homosexuality.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 2:31PM #22
mainecaptain
Posts: 21,783

May 6, 2012 -- 3:46PM, mountain_man wrote:


 Why would any self respecting LGBT want to be a Republican anyway? Why would they want to be a part of a hate filled group that puts considerable amount of energy to take AWAY rights from gays?




That surprises me as well. I can see having some conservative views, but actually being a republican makes no sense.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 3:50PM #23
REteach
Posts: 14,450

This is an election year.  Romney was not enough of a mensch to stand behind a guy he hired, knowing the guy was gay.  Ballessness.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 4:27PM #24
TemplarS
Posts: 6,721

May 7, 2012 -- 1:51PM, mountain_man wrote:


There are many from both those religions that have no problem with homosexuals and actually support their causes. It's only the fringe that are homophobic and I have no doubt that many of them do so out of fear of their own homosexuality.





What I see is a major shift in prevailing attitudes.


When I was young, you did not need to be a bigot to feel uncomfortable about homosexuality.  There was both a general ignorance about homosexuality, and a lack of genuine contact between gays and straights (in part because most gays would not dream of "coming out").


Nowadays there is no excuse for ignorance, and everybody has some exposure to gays, if nothing else but through the media. It is no longer possible to put forward homophobic views and be anything other than part of the fringe.  Indeed, most people in recent polls favor same-sex marriage.


How a major party candidate can put himself in diametric opposition to these realities not just by his political positions (which are always going to be encumbered by politics and hence ethically suspect) but in his personal relations with his staff is beyond belief.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 6:55PM #25
Marcion
Posts: 2,883

May 7, 2012 -- 1:40PM, Do_unto_others wrote:


May 6, 2012 -- 2:39PM, Marcion wrote:


Do unto others


If you want a soapbox for gay issues why not create one thread rather then shotgunning all over the hot topics zone.



There were 4 topics I  wanted to begin discussions on. Get over it.


May 6, 2012 -- 2:39PM, Marcion wrote:

I haven't encountered much anti-gay sentiments on BNet so I find your exagerated hysteria puzzling.





Then you must be new here (or have an extremely selective memory) because I've encountered scads of it - much of it from so-called "Christians". I could make you a list.




The behaviour of so-called christians doesn't surprise. The problem is they don't know they are Paulists.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 7:29PM #26
Fodaoson
Posts: 11,149

May 7, 2012 -- 6:55PM, Marcion wrote:


May 7, 2012 -- 1:40PM, Do_unto_others wrote:


May 6, 2012 -- 2:39PM, Marcion wrote:


Do unto others


If you want a soapbox for gay issues why not create one thread rather then shotgunning all over the hot topics zone.



There were 4 topics I  wanted to begin discussions on. Get over it.


May 6, 2012 -- 2:39PM, Marcion wrote:

I haven't encountered much anti-gay sentiments on BNet so I find your exagerated hysteria puzzling.





Then you must be new here (or have an extremely selective memory) because I've encountered scads of it - much of it from so-called "Christians". I could make you a list.




The behaviour of so-called christians doesn't surprise. The problem is they don't know they are Paulists.




The behaviour of so-called christians doesn't surprise. The problem is they don't know they are Paulists.


Marcion, you are correct. Most Christians don’t realize that  the “Christ“  is from Paul, A Greek speaking Roman Jew and that an itinerant Israeli rabbi or his immediate followers would  have never used the term Christ. 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 8:38PM #27
mountain_man
Posts: 39,147

May 7, 2012 -- 4:27PM, TemplarS wrote:

What I see is a major shift in prevailing attitudes.


That's what gives me hope for the future. Attitudes in this area are changing for the most part. It's only a few hold outs, a few Archie Bunkers, that maintain archaic views of homosexuality. Many of those hold outs seem to rely upon extremist religious claims for support.


When I was young, you did not need to be a bigot to feel uncomfortable about homosexuality.  There was both a general ignorance about homosexuality, and a lack of genuine contact between gays and straights (in part because most gays would not dream of "coming out").


Nowadays there is no excuse for ignorance, and everybody has some exposure to gays, if nothing else but through the media. It is no longer possible to put forward homophobic views and be anything other than part of the fringe.  Indeed, most people in recent polls favor same-sex marriage.


I've seen the same thing over time. For me the sexual activities of others seemed to be none of my business. Homosexual activities never interested me, nor did they bother me. I could never be homosexual. I was born straight. But that doesn't mean I have to judge others or lack empathy for their sexuality. I can't see what all the fuss is about. So what if someone is attracted to the same sex? Why work up such a hatred, an anger, and violence over it? Why can't they just mind their own business?


How a major party candidate can put himself in diametric opposition to these realities not just by his political positions (which are always going to be encumbered by politics and hence ethically suspect) but in his personal relations with his staff is beyond belief.


It's all about votes, not about what's right.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 12:16AM #28
rangerken
Posts: 16,406

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 16, 2012 - 10:42AM #29
headhuntersix
Posts: 63

Wow.  The level of stereotyping in here knows no bounds.  First, you stereotype republicans:  All republicans are homophobic.  Then you stereotype homophobes: All homophobes are republicans.  Then you stereotype homosexuals:  Like blacks, women, and latinos, they're all democrats, and if they aren't, then there's something wrong with them (above and beyond what's wrong with straight white male republicans, I mean).  Then voters:  They're all one-issue voters, dividing on the issue of gay marriage. 


Some day, when all else is hunky dorey, this issue may decide an election.  This year, it's the economy, stupid.  How is a pro-life gay man who happens to belive in free market capitalism, strong national defense, border security, and all that, supposed to vote?  Is he supposed to set all that aside?


And when you talk about republicans taking rights away from gays, you're either ignorant or disingenuous.  What has not been granted cannot be taken away.  Regardless of how you feel about gay marriage, the fact is that there's no natural right to marriage because it's a man-made (to keep religion out of it for the sake of discussion) institution.   For there to be a right to get married, it would have to be a civil right.  So it's not a matter of taking a right away, it's a matter of failing to grant a right.  You can opine till the cows come home that gay marriage should be a right, but when you say that it is one, you're wrong.


And, of course, because it doesn't fit well with the talking point that you're pushing, you ignore the gay sexual predator at the top of the NC democratic party who paid off the victim and stayed on the job, altar boy style, and only shout the louder that republicans are poison for gays, and democrats salvation. 


The truth of the matter is that, on the federal level, at least, gay rights are going nowhere because it's nothing more than a political tool in the democrats' kit bag.  They can't win a national election under the banner of gay rights, or with gay rights even scribbled in the corner, which is why Obama played coy with the issue until Hollywood (I don't think Biden's buffoonery was unintentional, this time, although he may have been a little premature) held ~$15 million in campaign funding for ransom and forced him to get off the pot.  They don't give two farts about gay rights, but they're happy to have your deluded  votes.  It's as bad as the Kurds supporting the US in Iraq in the hopes that we'll help them establish and independent state, when Ray Charles can see that, with Turkey being a NATO member, it's never going to happen. 


The gay rights agenda is winning the propaganda war, but it's getting crushed, and consistently so, at the polls.  Hell, even the DPRK (alifornia) has banned gay marriage.  Three times! (AB 607, Prop 22, Prop 8)  A ridiculous number of Americans have been cowed into stating in public that they're neutral-leaning-gay-rights, when in fact they vote against gay marriage in the privacy of the voting booth.  So I answer "according to polling, most Americans support gay marriage" with "according to the historical record, they've banned it outright in 32 states, and continue to vote against it, regardless of the coerced support that they voice in public."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 16, 2012 - 5:05PM #30
REteach
Posts: 14,450

May 16, 2012 -- 10:42AM, headhuntersix wrote:

And when you talk about republicans taking rights away from gays, you're either ignorant or disingenuous.  What has not been granted cannot be taken away.



I guess that would mean you are either ignorant or disingenuous?  REPUBLICANS are trying to take the legal right to marriage away from gays in Iowa, where the right HAS BEEN GRANTED. Try getting your facts straight if you want someone to take you seriously.


Regardless of how you feel about gay marriage, the fact is that there's no natural right to marriage because it's a man-made (to keep religion out of it for the sake of discussion) institution.  



Odd, the US Supreme Court disagrees with you. So do I.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook