Switch to Forum Live View Muslims no fans of Al Qaeda
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 9:44PM #1
Miraj

What do you think?

Poll: Muslims no fans of Al Qaeda

A whopping 98 percent of Muslims in Lebanon have an unfavorable view of the terrorist group, while in Egypt, Jordan and Turkey more than 7 in 10 Muslims feel likewise, according to the Pew Research Center. In Pakistan, a slight majority of the Muslim community, 55 percent, have an unfavorable view, versus 13 percent favorable.

. . .

The Pew Research Center poll, with margins of error ranging from 4.2 to 5.2 percentage points, was conducted March 19-April 13 among 1,000 Muslims in Egypt, Jordan and Lebanon, 1,206 Muslims in Pakistan and 1,001 Muslims in Turkey.

Continued at the link.
Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 12:38AM #2
rangerken

I do not know of anyone who despises al queda along with any and all raddical islamist terrorists groups than my Muslim neighbors! They take it as a personal insult, and a defamation of their faith.

Of course my neighbors are Americans, the men are all veterans or now serrving, and I don't recall ever seeing the women walking around town in burquas, veils, or head scarves!

The key thing is, in my opinion, how Muslims in the Middle East view al Queda, and related groups. So the report in the link is very encouraging. I'd be even happier if it included groups like Hamas and Hezbollah in the same category as al queda.

Anyway, the report is a good thing and I hope it is accurate (no reason to think otherwwise).

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 9:29AM #3
rocketjsquirell

This poll should come as no surprise. I do not know anyone, Muslim or non-Muslim who supports Al Qaeda. Do you? Does anyone here?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 3:31PM #4
KindredSai

No surprise here of course.

The majority of Muslims, Jews, Christians and so forth will condemn any form of terrorism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 11:19PM #5
JAstor

May 2, 2012 -- 9:29AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

This poll should come as no surprise. I do not know anyone, Muslim or non-Muslim who supports Al Qaeda. Do you? Does anyone here?

Yet, Al Qaeda's agenda is so similar to Hamas, Hezbollah and many others in the Middle East who have been brainwashed with radical Islam. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 11:21PM #6
JAstor

May 2, 2012 -- 12:38AM, rangerken wrote:

I do not know of anyone who despises al queda along with any and all raddical islamist terrorists groups than my Muslim neighbors! They take it as a personal insult, and a defamation of their faith.

Glad you included all radical Islamist groups. 

Do you think the poll would produce the same percentages if instead of Al Quaeda the Arag-Muslim Middle East was asked about?

-- Hamas?

-- Hezbollah?

-- Islamic Jihah?

-- Iran?

-- Etc.?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 9:53AM #7
KindredSai

May 3, 2012 -- 11:21PM, JAstor wrote:

May 2, 2012 -- 12:38AM, rangerken wrote:

Glad you included all radical Islamist groups. 

Do you think the poll would produce the same percentages if instead of Al Quaeda the Arag-Muslim Middle East was asked about?

-- Hamas?

-- Hezbollah?

-- Islamic Jihah?

-- Iran?

-- Etc.?

Considering Al Qaeda and Hamas belong to the same Pan-Islamist global movement, I think the poll would produce similar results.

Hezbollah and Iran belong to an Islamist branch that is Shia which is a minority of Muslims, in fact the ME only represents 12% of the Islamic world and Shia branch consists of less than that, not to mention the vast majority of Shia are against extremist thought too.

The support and popularity for Islamist groups in circumstances such as Gaza is not necessarily that they want see Jews driven into the sea, it's due to the fact that Hamas provides better services such as hospitals, schools, electricity - compared to their corrupt counterweights.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook