Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View On bin Laden raid anniversary, Obama makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 5:23PM #1
rocketjsquirell
This just in

On bin Laden raid anniversary, Obama makes surprise visit to Afghanistan

President Barack Obama on Tuesday paid a surprise visit to Afghanistan, slipping into Kabul under a thick veil of secrecy to sign a long-term partnership deal meant to help bring down the curtain on America's longest war.

Obama, whose trip came one year to the day after elite American troops killed Osama bin laden in neighboring Pakistan, inked the deal in a ceremony with Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

"Neither Americans nor the Afghan people asked for this war, yet for a decade we've stood together," Obama said against the backdrop of marble columns at the stately presidential palace. "Together, we're now committed to replacing war with peace and pursuing a more hopeful future as equal partners."

full article:
news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/bin-laden-ra...

It will be a great day when the useless, expensive and ill advised war in Afghanistan is finally over.

Thank goodness we have President Obama cleaning up President George W Bush's messes and keeping us out of new ones.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 7:40PM #2
arielg

"Neither Americans nor the Afghan people asked for this war, yet for a decade we've stood together," Obama said against the backdrop of marble columns at the stately presidential palace. "Together, we're now committed to replacing war with peace and pursuing a more hopeful future as equal partners."

What pathetic crap.  Cleaning up the messes indeed.  More like a new 12 year plan:

peaceblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/musin...

There are now twice the number of troops that were there when he took office.  Just playing politics with his new found title of "warrior president". 

Since the whole point was (according to the official narrative) to get rid of Bin Laden, the whole thing should be over. 

But since the official  narrative is for fools who can't handle the truth, the thing will go on, because the reason we went there has nothing to do with the official narrative.

It has more to do with this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6afjdjjG1mI&feat...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 12:00AM #3
teilhard

I think this is a Good Time to review The Historical Record ...

Just Days after The un-Timely Death of Sheikh Osama bin Laden, David Letterman hosted a Report on "The Final Words of Osama bin Laden":

10. "My Horoscope says, 'Big Surprises are in store' ..."

9.   "See, this is why I normally don't answer the Door ..."

8.   "The one Time I give my Bodyguards the Day off to go to the Zoo ..."

7.   "What on earth could be interrupting 'Celebrity Apprentice' ...?"

6.   "I hear Brian Williams in on Dave to discuss my imminent Demise."

5.   "At least I'll be reunited with my dear departed Friend, Jack LaLanne."

4.   "I'm not sure I want to live in a World where 'Fast Five' is the #1 Movie."

3.   "Any Man with multiple Wives welcomes Death. Am I right, Fells?"

2.   "I need a House full of Navy SEALS like I need a Hole in the Head."

1.   "Oh, crap."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 12:25AM #4
rabello

May 1, 2012 -- 7:40PM, arielg wrote:

What pathetic crap.  Cleaning up the messes indeed.  More like a new 12 year plan:

There are now twice the number of troops that were there when he took office.  Just playing politics with his new found title of "warrior president". 

Since the whole point was (according to the official narrative) to get rid of Bin Laden, the whole thing should be over. 

But since the official  narrative is for fools who can't handle the truth, the thing will go on, because the reason we went there has nothing to do with the official narrative.

I wish he hadn't said that, either.   But he's always saying George Bush kinds of things.  And doing George Bush kinds of things. 

I'm sure the Afghan people did not ask to be collectively punished and have a full throated "war" (actually military invasion/occupation) to be rained down on their heads by the world's most lethal & militaristic superpower, for something some Saudi's and Pakistani's did,  I'm sure they didn't ask for it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 9:28AM #5
teilhard

Indeed, the BEST Thing that could happen for ordinary Afghanistan Folks would be that they would rise up and take positive Control of their own Country and Destiny and no longer ALLOW Groups like The Taliban and al Qaida to safe harbor and maneuver there ...

As a Wise Person once observed, "A Nation tends to get the Kind of Government it deserves ..."

If The People of Afghanistan ever want to BECOME a "Normal" Country, THEY will have to WANT to do that ...

May 2, 2012 -- 12:25AM, rabello wrote:

May 1, 2012 -- 7:40PM, arielg wrote:

I wish he hadn't said that, either.   But he's always saying George Bush kinds of things.  And doing George Bush kinds of things. 

I'm sure the Afghan people did not ask to be collectively punished and have a full throated "war" (actually military invasion/occupation) to be rained down on their heads by the world's most lethal & militaristic superpower, for something some Saudi's and Pakistani's did,  I'm sure they didn't ask for it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:33AM #6
Marcion

Surprise visit, really?

I just see it as a weak candidate grasping at straws.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:48AM #7
teilhard

LOL ...

President Barack O'Bama -- Commander-in-Chief of The U. S. Military -- visited and addressed Soldiers in a Battle Zone ...

Mitt Romney -- courageously (!!!) -- visited a Pizza Parlor and a FireStation in New York City ...

Yes ... I AGREE that Mitt Romney is a VERY "weak Candidate" desperately grasping at The Parmesan Vote and the Straw in his 16 oz. (Caffeine Free) Diet Pepsi ...

May 2, 2012 -- 11:33AM, Marcion wrote:

Surprise visit, really?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 1:53PM #8
vra

I have very mixed feelings about the plan, and it's one of those situations whereas if we had a crystal ball, then we'd know for certain what to do.  No matter which way we were to go on this, there would be problems.  Leaving too quickly could well let the Taliban back in to grow again, destabilize Pakistan, re-inviting a radical shari'a approach that puts women back into the dark ages, allow for a revenge-style bloodbath, etc.

OTOH, Afghanistan is a tough nut to crack because it's mostly tribal with no real central authority, the "government" is corrupt and has no real power much outside of Kabul, more of our troops will be killed, and more money will be spent at a time when we already have major economic problems. 

On today's "Morning Joe", two generals that were interviewed felt we should do the former, but then again, these are military men.  Again, I have mixed feeling about this, but I will say that by taking this action, we could always step up our withdrawal if needed, whereas doing it the other way would have been very difficult to pull off (withdraw and then re-deploy). 

We'll see.    

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 1:55PM #9
Nepenthe

May 2, 2012 -- 11:33AM, Marcion wrote:

Surprise visit, really?

This strategic campaign speech by Obama shows that he is not a weak candidate.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 6:02PM #10
vra

The agreement was months in the making and was and is very much a major policy announcement that has significant ramifications.  Whether one agrees with this decision or not, it had to be explained. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook