Switch to Forum Live View EPA official forced to resign
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:15PM #1
Ironhold
A senior EPA official has resigned after video surfaced in which he seemingly confessed to deliberately making examples out of companies in order to terrify entire industries.

Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) has already pounced on the video, proclaiming it to be "proof" that the EPA is a group of bullies rather than a government oversight organization.

Anyone else wondering how many more skeletons are going to emerge from different federal closets in the lead-up to Election Day?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 12:05AM #2
mountain_man

Apr 30, 2012 -- 10:15PM, Ironhold wrote:

...Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) has already pounced on the video, proclaiming it to be "proof" that the EPA is a group of bullies rather than a government oversight organization.

Well... DUH! What would you expect a Regressive to say? They believe that not being able to poison our planet is an undue burden on business.

Anyone else wondering how many more skeletons are going to emerge from different federal closets in the lead-up to Election Day?

As many as the Regressives can make up.

As for Inhofe; the guy is a nutcase... or getting rich from the companies that reward him handsomely for lying about climate change. No one takes the guy seriously.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 12:59AM #3
MysticWanderer

An interesting and revealing quote from the article has Mr. Amanderez (the "senior EPA official" in question) saying, "He added that the EPA, similarly, makes "examples out of people who are not complying with the law ... you make examples out of them, use it as a deterrent method."

IN other words innocent companies are not being targeted but companies that violated the laws are being made examples of.  Gee, I thought that was what punishments were supposed to do to deter crime.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 9:10AM #4
TemplarS

The problem was not in the point Mr. Armendariz was making; it was in the language he used to make the point.  These guys should know better, or be forced to take a course in sensitivity in public relations.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 11:33AM #5
Fodaoson

Mr. Inhofe is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 12:50PM #6
vra

Inhofe picks and chooses the "evidence" according to a rather select criteria, such as ignoring scientific evidence while claiming he believes only in "sound science".  IOW, non-partisan he is not.

Let me also mention that the previous administration had more people involved in established illegal activities than any other over the last 100 years.  And does anyone here actually believe that Scooter Libby acted on his own without Cheney's knowledge dealing with the Valerie Plame incident?  And Cheney refused to testify to a grand jury dealing with that as well, plus he also refused to disclose what he told the oil companies in a private meeting sometime prior to the BP spill.

OTOH, I certainly am not saying we should ignore alleged scandals.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 12:53PM #7
Ironhold

May 1, 2012 -- 9:10AM, TemplarS wrote:

The problem was not in the point Mr. Armendariz was making; it was in the language he used to make the point.  These guys should know better, or be forced to take a course in sensitivity in public relations.

That would be to admit that Big Business has the right idea, though.

I doubt too many government types would appreciate that particular implication.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 2:01PM #8
MysticWanderer

May 1, 2012 -- 12:53PM, Ironhold wrote:

May 1, 2012 -- 9:10AM, TemplarS wrote:

?????

What right idea?   Sensitivity training?  Political correctness?  I've seen more than one CEO make an ass of himself in public before.  Do you mean that companies that break the law should be prosecuted more gently than the average street thug?  Why?  They often hurt many more than any kid with a saturday night special looking for money for drugs.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 9:55PM #9
mountain_man

May 1, 2012 -- 11:33AM, Fodaoson wrote:

Mr. Inhofe is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

He fell out of the chandelier long ago. It was funny when he set up a table/booth/whatever at the last Climate Change Conference. Everyone ignored him, laughed at him, and the press ridiculed him. His campaign donors:

Koch Industries $44,600

Murray Energy $31,100

Devon Energy $28,000

Contran Corp $21,500

Robison International $21,300

That's 3 energy companies and 2 Wall Street lobbying firms. They make good use of their little ventriloquist dummy.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 9:57PM #10
mountain_man

May 1, 2012 -- 12:53PM, Ironhold wrote:

The ONLY idea that Big Business has is to make more profits. They don't care if they ruin the economy to do so.

They've been bought off by Big Business.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook