Post Reply
Switch to Forum Live View A Harvard Conference Which Actually Discussed Israel and the Real Issues
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 6:40PM #1
rocketjsquirell
Posts: 16,604
A Harvard Conference Which Actually Discusses Israel and the Real Issues

I do not know if this conference was in response to the Harvard anti-Israel hate fest (a.k.a. One State conference) earlier this year or not but this seems a much better way to discuss things. discussing reality is always better than dwelling on fantasies, especially sick and hateful fantasies. Don't you agree?

Contentions
The Next Campus Israel Advocacy
Matthew Ackerman | @MatthewAckerman 04.26.2012 - 9:20 AM

Last week, student leaders at Harvard, drawn from the undergraduate college, the Kennedy school, the business school, and the law school, held a conference about Israel. While the conference has attracted outside attention mostly as a result of another student-led conference at Harvard earlier this year that advocated the elimination of the Jewish state, campus supporters of Israel would do well to take note of the more recent event for another and better reason: its demonstration of an effective way to talk about Israel to campus audiences.

Drawing big names like Stanley Fischer, the governor of the Bank of Israel, and Dan Senor, probably best known for co-authoring the 2009 book Start-Up Nation, most of the content of the conference focused on Israel’s economic successes, particularly in high-tech and innovation. Senor’s book is itself responsible to a large degree for a widening appreciation in the United States for Israel’s extraordinary economic record during the past 15 or so years, popularizing eye-popping statistics like the number of Israeli companies listed on the NASDAQ stock index or that Israel’s less than 8 million people drew more venture capital in 2008 than the 145 million citizens of France and Germany combined.

. . .
Even an essay competition and accompanying session about the conflict were framed in terms of “innovating peace.”

The best thing of course about focusing discussions about Israel on its extraordinary record of innovation is that it’s all true.
. . .

full article:
www.commentarymagazine.com/2012/04/26/ne...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 8:03AM #2
Dostojevsky
Posts: 7,759

Quote:


'focused on Israel’s economic successes, particularly in high-tech and innovation. Senor’s book is itself responsible to a large degree for a widening appreciation in the United States for Israel’s extraordinary economic record during the past 15 or so years, popularizing eye-popping statistics like the number of Israeli companies listed on the NASDAQ stock index or that Israel’s less than 8 million people drew more venture capital in 2008 than the 145 million citizens of France and Germany combined. '


This is all well and good but I wonder whether any credit was given to US, Germany, France etc etc countries which have contributed to this Israeli achievements; contributed in educating many Jews who now live is Israel and do well, contributed financially, contributed in sharing techinical advances from sciences to medecine etc, also fundamentalist Christians who sincerely believe they are pleasing God in giving to Israel.


It would do well fo people of Israel to remember and acknowledge.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 11:53AM #3
LeahOne
Posts: 16,482


Dos, would you explain please just why you think Jewish *former* citizens of nations like Germany & France should THANK those nations for their education WHICH IS A BASIC RIGHT OF CITIZENS IN THOSE NATIONS??? 


Have you seen Nobel prize winners do that?  I'm curious....  What's the *principle* you are invoking there?


It certainly seems as though you view French or German Jews as somehow not as fully 'French' or 'German' as other citizens????   That is a truly bizarre concept to me as an American - and as a Jew.  I cannot fathom why you seem to think Jews should be *uniquely* grateful for having the rights that ALL citizens in most European nations have.


Shouldn't Egyptian intellectuals thank the US fior the foreign aid dollars, then?  How about everyone else thanking everyone else for their foreign aid from wherever?



Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 12:20PM #4
browbeaten
Posts: 3,230

Maybe we should just thank our lucky stars that the world allows the Jews to live and prosper?


Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 8:39AM #5
Dostojevsky
Posts: 7,759

May 1, 2012 -- 11:53AM, LeahOne wrote:


Dos, would you explain please just why you think Jewish *former* citizens of nations like Germany & France should THANK those nations for their education WHICH IS A BASIC RIGHT OF CITIZENS IN THOSE NATIONS??? 



Leah, my response was to Rocket's OP and still stands.


 




 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 8:41AM #6
Dostojevsky
Posts: 7,759

May 1, 2012 -- 12:20PM, browbeaten wrote:


Maybe we should just thank our lucky stars that the world allows the Jews to live and prosper?



They live and prosper in many countries all over the world.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 2:11PM #7
BDboy
Posts: 6,215

May 1, 2012 -- 11:53AM, LeahOne wrote:



Dos, would you explain please just why you think Jewish *former* citizens of nations like Germany & France should THANK those nations for their education WHICH IS A BASIC RIGHT OF CITIZENS IN THOSE NATIONS??? 


Have you seen Nobel prize winners do that?  I'm curious....  What's the *principle* you are invoking there?



>>>>>>>> I cannot speak on behalf of another member but here is my thought on these questions. It looks like "Common sense" to be. Albeit I do not support anyone should be "Force" to thank others for their awards or recognition. However it is nice.


Most countries of the world do not provide these "Basic rights", so it does not take anything away from anyone to say "Thank you" in return.


 


Yes, many noble prize winners do that. For example, Dr. Amartya Sen won the noble prize in economics and he is a naturalized US citizen. When he received his award, he ensured country of his birth (Present Bangladesh) and country who raise him (India) were represented when he received his award.


 


May 1, 2012 -- 11:53AM, LeahOne wrote:


It certainly seems as though you view French or German Jews as somehow not as fully 'French' or 'German' as other citizens????   That is a truly bizarre concept to me as an American - and as a Jew.  I cannot fathom why you seem to think Jews should be *uniquely* grateful for having the rights that ALL citizens in most European nations have.


Shouldn't Egyptian intellectuals thank the US fior the foreign aid dollars, then?  How about everyone else thanking everyone else for their foreign aid from wherever?






 


>>>>>>> I strongly feel Jews or people of any other faith should be treated as full citizens of their host countries. I do not think anyone should question that.


Yes, Egyptians, Indians or Israelis should thank the US for the support it received from tax payers of this country. That is the least they can do.


 


Just so no one misunderstand what I said here. I do not advocate anyone (Jews or otherwise) should be "Forced" to thank anyone but it is always nice to thank people or country which supported any person to "Make it".
 

Quick Reply
Cancel
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook