Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Pat Robertson said....
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 4:07PM #1
upsala81
This..... on his TV show, video on Daily Kos website.

www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/29/108641...

"God created the world; the laws of nature were created by God. True science tries to find out what God put in the world. The trouble is where scientists speculate about theology and they don’t know what they’re talking about because they weren’t there. They can’t speculate about the origins of life because they weren’t there. If they tell you observable phenomenon then we ought to believe them, and I tell you if you find a geologist who tells you something existed 300 million years ago then you better believe them because he knows what he’s talking about. We don’t want our religious theory go with flat earth."

What surprised me is the line "if you find a geologist who tells you something existed 300 million years ago then you better believe them because he knows what he is talking about.  We don't want our religious theory go with the flat earth.

What is he really saying?  Is he giving up on YECism?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 5:10PM #2
Ken

Apr 30, 2012 -- 4:07PM, upsala81 wrote:

This..... on his TV show, video on Daily Kos website.

www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/29/108641...

"God created the world; the laws of nature were created by God. True science tries to find out what God put in the world. The trouble is where scientists speculate about theology and they don’t know what they’re talking about because they weren’t there. They can’t speculate about the origins of life because they weren’t there. If they tell you observable phenomenon then we ought to believe them, and I tell you if you find a geologist who tells you something existed 300 million years ago then you better believe them because he knows what he’s talking about. We don’t want our religious theory go with flat earth."

What surprised me is the line "if you find a geologist who tells you something existed 300 million years ago then you better believe them because he knows what he is talking about.  We don't want our religious theory go with the flat earth.

What is he really saying?  Is he giving up on YECism?

He may be gaga.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 7:34PM #3
Blü

I conjecture a link between this and McAtheist's current thread on RATE findings.

Can it be the 6,000 yo earth is sinking and the rats are taking to the rafts?

What will iama do?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 7:34PM #4
MMarcoe

Well, he did recently advocate legalizing pot, so maybe he really is changing his tune.

More and more fundies are jumping the YEC ship.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 9:21PM #5
Midutch

Apr 30, 2012 -- 7:34PM, Blü wrote:

I conjecture a link between this and McAtheist's current thread on RATE findings.

Can it be the 6,000 yo earth is sinking and the rats are taking to the rafts?

What will iama do?

Nothing. She will be saddened that Pat Robertson has crossed over to the dark side and will burn in Hell with the rest of us "evilooshunists", but she will continue posting long and irrelevant tracts of Bible passages and the lies that she finds on "creationist" websites, thinking she is doing God's work.

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 9:24PM #6
Midutch

Apr 30, 2012 -- 7:34PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Well, he did recently advocate legalizing pot, so maybe he really is changing his tune.

More and more fundies are jumping the YEC ship.

Unlike Bill O'Reilly, maybe old Pat did take a vacation in Amsterdam.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPsFIsxM3w

On an offtopic note: Bill forgot to mention that in the Netherlands they are shutting down prisons because they are running out of criminals.

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 9:41PM #7
HouseofDavid

Apr 30, 2012 -- 7:34PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Robertson; no longer a poofer, but a puffer ?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:19PM #8
HouseofDavid

Seriously, even Pat Robertson, who has professed some kooky ideas in his lifetime, is capable of appreciating that acceptance of the overwhelming and corroborating multiple lines of evidence for an old earth does not mean that one has to reject God and/or the Christian faith. 

After all, Jesus professed one principle idea, that all people can be worthy of the kingdom of God; sinners, the poor, gentiles, Jews, and the religious elite.  That's it.  I'm sure that had he been asked on the 700 Club, he would respond that he didn't give a flyin' leap about the age of the earth - he had a more consuming agenda.    If more Christians would actually focus on Jesus' message, they could stop worrying about how to thread all these cockamamie pseudo-scientific stories together to make it sound like Genesis actually happened.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 8:20AM #9
Blü

HouseofDavid

even Pat Robertson [...] is capable of appreciating that acceptance of the overwhelming and corroborating multiple lines of evidence for an old earth

Apparently.  The question is why he's been for so long so vehement a vehicle of contempt for those same overwhelming and corroborating multiple lines of evidence; and what could dampen that mighty fire.

does not mean that one has to reject God and/or the Christian faith.

As our old creo friend 57 once explained it, if the bible is in error in the smallest detail then how can the promise of salvation and eternal life be believed?

Whilst the very great number of believers who have no such concern illustrates that this too is a silly proposition, the further question hangs in the air - why would Pat let that one go too?

On the old rule of cui bono, which loosely speaking is Latin for Follow the money, my own hypothesis is that Pat is changing because he sees his old market shrinking and a new one waiting to be tried.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 10:39AM #10
upsala81

For whatever reason.  Pat Robertson is highly regarded in evangelical circles and if he's off the YECism band wagon, it will "allow" many other to jump off as well.

If I had to guess.  Pat is getting old and hopefully a bit wiser.  At some time in a person's life he or she begins to give up the old battles that seem pointless or without much merit and just begin to say what they really think is right, instead of what they "should" say is right.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook