Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View US Pastor Terry Jones Burns Qur'an Again
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 9:07AM #1
BDboy
Mr. Terry Jones now hooked into "Stardom". The infamous "Burning" of the Qur'an made his name known world over, now he is at it again. I have a feeling he is going do it again with some new "Causes" to stir the pot again .....

US pastor Terry Jones burns Quran again

MIAMI (AFP) - Controversial United States (US) pastor Terry Jones has burned more copies of the Quran and a depiction of the Prophet Muhammad to protest the imprisonment in Iran of a Christian clergyman, The Gainesville Sun reported.

The newspaper said Mr Jones and another pastor, who carried out their protest in front of their church in Gainesville, Florida on Saturday, demanded the release of Christian pastor Youcef Nadarkhani from an Iranian prison.

Mr Jones said Mr Nadarkhani faces execution.

According to the report, the Pentagon urged Mr Jones to reconsider, expressing concern that American soldiers in Afghanistan and elsewhere could be put at greater risk because of the act.

Source: www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/World/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:40AM #2
mytmouse57

I support free expression.

I support any person's right to publicly make an idiot of themselves. 

I would, however, love to see the look on Pastor Terry's face when his time comes to cross over, and Jesus introduces him to his good friend, Muhammed. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:42AM #3
mountain_man

As long as those Korans are his, he can burn them. It's a stupid thing to do, but we don't have laws against stupidity. If Muslims would stop it with the feigned indignation Jones would stop acting out in public.

It's kind of like flag burning; it only gets a bunch of extremists upset, no one else cares.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:47AM #4
Girlchristian

Apr 30, 2012 -- 10:42AM, mountain_man wrote:

As long as those Korans are his, he can burn them. It's a stupid thing to do, but we don't have laws against stupidity. If Muslims would stop it with the feigned indignation Jones would stop acting out in public.

It's kind of like flag burning; it only gets a bunch of extremists upset, no one else cares.

Agreed.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:50AM #5
mytmouse57

I agree on that point. As long as an item is your personal property -- be it a flag, Bible, Koran, statue of Elvis -- whatever, you should be free to do with your property as you see fit.

Moderated by Merope on May 18, 2012 - 01:02PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:12AM #6
TemplarS

Apr 30, 2012 -- 10:50AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I agree on that point. As long as an item is your personal property -- be it a flag, Bible, Koran, statue of Elvis -- whatever, you should be free to do with your property as you see fit.

I agree with these statements.

I would only add:  if this is simply the private act of one of the 300+ million citizens of the US-  why is it news?   Is not the press equally responsible for lending credence to this clown?

Moderated by Merope on May 18, 2012 - 01:04PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:23AM #7
Fodaoson

NO,NO NO, Please do not burn an Elvis StatueCool  thank you very much 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:33AM #8
Girlchristian

Apr 30, 2012 -- 11:12AM, TemplarS wrote:

Apr 30, 2012 -- 10:50AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I agree with these statements.

I would only add:  if this is simply the private act of one of the 300+ million citizens of the US-  why is it news?   Is not the press equally responsible for lending credence to this clown?

Absolutely. The press should be ignoring him and not giving him ANY recognition just as they should do with the Westboro group.

Moderated by Merope on May 18, 2012 - 01:05PM
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 12:30PM #9
mountain_man

Apr 30, 2012 -- 11:33AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Absolutely. The press should be ignoring him and not giving him ANY recognition just as they should do with the Westboro group.

The press is doing what it was created to do, it's only purpose, what it does best; make a profit. They are not there to bring you news, or even the truth. The press exists to make a profit. Burning Korans sells soap.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 6:00PM #10
TPaine

Apr 30, 2012 -- 9:07AM, BDboy wrote:

Mr. Terry Jones now hooked into "Stardom". The infamous "Burning" of the Qur'an made his name known world over, now he is at it again. I have a feeling he is going do it again with some new "Causes" to stir the pot again .....

US pastor Terry Jones burns Quran again

MIAMI (AFP) - Controversial United States (US) pastor Terry Jones has burned more copies of the Quran and a depiction of the Prophet Muhammad to protest the imprisonment in Iran of a Christian clergyman, The Gainesville Sun reported.

The newspaper said Mr Jones and another pastor, who carried out their protest in front of their church in Gainesville, Florida on Saturday, demanded the release of Christian pastor Youcef Nadarkhani from an Iranian prison.

Mr Jones said Mr Nadarkhani faces execution.

According to the report, the Pentagon urged Mr Jones to reconsider, expressing concern that American soldiers in Afghanistan and elsewhere could be put at greater risk because of the act.

I was under the impression that if you were trying to get a someone to do something you want him or her to do, you make your case in a positive way. Burning Qur'ans is the best way to insure that the Mullahs who run Iran will execute Mr Nadarkhani. Then again Terry Jones is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

The United States economy is like a poker game where the chips have become concentrated in fewer and fewer hands, and where the other fellows can stay in the game only by borrowing. When their credit runs out the game will stop. -- Marriner Eccles: Beckoning Frontiers (1951)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook