Page 5 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View US Pastor Terry Jones Burns Qur'an Again
2 years ago  ::  May 05, 2012 - 3:58PM #41
BDboy

May 3, 2012 -- 4:29PM, farragut wrote:

I am keenly aware of the recent past, and I am persuaded that those who do not do so risk repeating it. At the same time, I recognize that those who worship the concept of an all-powerful government may see no value in a free press.

>>>>>>>> It is not a zero sum game.

As I mentioned I like to see strong "Public Media" IN ADDITION to private media. In the US you have CNN and Fox in the private sector. You also have NPR and PBS which are partly funded by tax payers and partly by viewers.

Beside with internet, you can see and read Iranian Newspapers, Saudi papers and Chinese papers etc.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 05, 2012 - 4:12PM #42
karbie

What creatures like Pastor Terry and the congregation of the Westboro church need is a media shut-out. No coverage of any of their antics on television, etc.

If his purpose was to try to get a Christian released from Iran, he chose the exact wrong way to go about it. All he wanted was to get his face/name in the news. There are several Islamic countries where trying to proselytize Christianity carries a death sentence--in Afghanistan under the Taliban, a woman showing her face could be killed.

Terry is an idiot. I have little use for book-burners in the first place, but doing so with someone else's holiest book to attempt to get leniency is lunacy.

Perhaps he should offer to trade places instead.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 1:10PM #43
BDboy

May 5, 2012 -- 4:12PM, karbie wrote:

What creatures like Pastor Terry and the congregation of the Westboro church need is a media shut-out. No coverage of any of their antics on television, etc.

>>>>>>> Then he will play the "Victim card". He is a selfish opportunist who is willing to do anything for HIS own name on newspapers. He should be exposed!!     Smile

If his purpose was to try to get a Christian released from Iran, he chose the exact wrong way to go about it. All he wanted was to get his face/name in the news. There are several Islamic countries where trying to proselytize Christianity carries a death sentence--in Afghanistan under the Taliban, a woman showing her face could be killed.

Terry is an idiot. I have little use for book-burners in the first place, but doing so with someone else's holiest book to attempt to get leniency is lunacy.

Perhaps he should offer to trade places instead.

>>>>>>>> I don't think he had much concerns about Iran or safety of servicemen stations in many Muslim countries all over the world.

He is a self-absorbed ignorant person, who did not even follow "Biblical Jesus" in showing his "Alledged" concerns.

go figure....

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 6:06PM #44
CharikIeia

Doesn't work in this time and age, karbie...

We need to cope with the mixed blessings of a fully connected world, information-wise. Whatever moron X1 in village Y1 in nation Z1 does, it will potentially offend and outrage moron X2 in village Y2 in nation Z2.

It is not the media that can do the job for us, but we ourselves must learn to ignore what morons do to grab the attention of other morons.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 10:02PM #45
Roodog

Has Jones burnt a Quran? (past tense)

Or is Jones burning Qurans? (presently and continually)

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 1:21PM #46
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.  It's kind of old news but an interesting topic IMO for our forum. 

What do y'all think of Terry Jones - or any Christian clergy - burning a copy of another faith's sacred text?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 3:38PM #47
karbie

Well, if I want to be bitchy, I'd go straight to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". He'd go incandescent if anyone burned a Bible. Muslims don't do this because the Old Testament is sacred to them as well. Judaism, Christianity and Islam have at least this history in common.

I assume he got his diploma from one of the same places that churned out papers confirming someone was a licensed minister the guys I knew bought trying to escape Viet Nam.

Burning someone elses' holy book shows contempt and an inability to understand that others may suffer for their actions. It's a publicity stunt, not a demonstration of faith to me. (What it does demonstrate is that the show-off yelling "Watch me do this!" has an I.Q. measured to the right of the decimal point.)

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 6:37PM #48
Theo

Burning someone elses' holy book shows contempt and an inability to understand that others may suffer for their actions. It's a publicity stunt, not a demonstration of faith to me.

Perhaps, but while I do not agree with Terry Jones for the things he's done to offend Islam, frankly I do not much like the things Muslims Fundamentalists have done to offend Christians and Jews either. Islamists are the provocateurs for the most part, and they stage despicable things and blow innocent people up every day to generate terror as well as media attention... in Western terminology it's called... "raising public awareness." And it works, everybody in the world knows that Iranian Muslims, and most other Muslims are pissed off at the rest of the world, especially Israel and the United States.

In the case of Terry Jones, apparently he is trying to raise public awareness about the plight of this Christian pastor Youcef Nadarkhani being held in Iran. I hope you know that in Iran you and I would be murdered for our blasphemous beliefs... they don't much like anybody over there who is not united in lock step with them... including other Muslims who do not agree with them. Sure, much can be said about the antics of Terry Jones... but would you know that Iran has a Christian minister held in jail waiting to be executed for his Christian beliefs... if pastor Jones had not burned a Quran???

My question to you is this - do you care about his plight?

Or is it more important to you that Terry Jones did something to stir up a hornet's nest of nutcase Islamists, which might result in them targeting innocent people in revenge?

Personally, I side with Christians who are being persecuted for their faith in Christ, like pastor Youcef Nadarkhani, who might have to pay the ultimate sacrifice for obeying the command of His Lord, to go into all nations, make disciples, and teach them to observe everything Christ taught.

What you seem to not understand is that there is no way to get along with a hornets' nest, Islamists are aggressive and invasive and they will sting you one way or another. Of course stirring them up on purpose is not the best way to deal with them... aka Terry Jones. Even so, the only way to deal with some hornets' nest is to call in the exterminator, either that or its damned if you do something yourself, or damned if you don't.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 6:53PM #49
Iwantamotto

Theo:  And it works, everybody in the world knows that Iranian Muslims, and most other Muslims are pissed off at the rest of the world, especially Israel and the United States.

What gets lost in the arguing, though, is that Muslims are pissed for a reason.  Sure, a lot of it is BS, just as pissed off Christians are usually full of crap.  However, when the US is preferential to Israel for nothing but sick reasons (either the normal political "we use all our friends" stuff or the blatantly stupid "Jayzus comes back if we kiss Israel's ass ... oh, and He kills them all at the end, our bad"), or just tramps over countries' sovereignity just for oil or to piss off Russia or China, why can't they be upset?  People in the US don't like it when it's done to us.  We should grant the same to others.

I hope you know that in Iran you and I would be murdered for our blasphemous beliefs... they don't much like anybody over there who is not united in lock step with them

And pissing them off more helps how?

but would you know that Iran has a Christian minister held in jail waiting to be executed for his Christian beliefs... if pastor Jones had not burned a Quran???

Well, thanks to him, we'll probably be seeing that guy's head on a stake any day now.

Personally, I side with Christians who are being persecuted for their faith in Christ, like pastor Youcef Nadarkhani, who might have to pay the ultimate sacrifice for obeying the command of His Lord, to go into all nations, make disciples, and teach them to observe everything Christ taught.

Christ was bad about vandalizing other people's stuff, but He never went over to a centurion's base or whatever and firebombed it.  That kind of thing would ENSURE His people's destruction, which is incredibly dumb.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 7:39PM #50
Theo

motto:

What gets lost in the arguing, though, is that Muslims are pissed for a reason. 

Oh, I hardly think that message gets lost at all... that is all liberals in government, the media and academia want to talk about. And frankly I agree, Muslims are pissed off at the US for many reasons, one of the biggest is because our government has been meddling in their affairs. But if you want to know whatz really eating  them, it's because they, (i.e. Islam) once presided over the largest Empire on Earth... but because of the West, (the Brits, Europe and America) they have been reduced to warring tribes and divided into secular nations, instead of Islamic Nations, and they want to sit at the head of the table again, they want to be the ones calling the shots... they want to rule the world.

So, I have to ask - which would you prefer? If the USA takes a back seat to Iran, and lets them have their way in the middle east and the rest of the world... Are you prepared for a world dominated by Muslims or more likely, the Chinese?

Personally I have a lengthy laundry list of things the US Government does that I am absolutely opposed to - but we ( the USA) are not the only bad-guys out there; none of our detractors are any better than US. And right now, we have a huge tactical advantage over Iran and the rest of the Muslim world, while we, for the most part, show our civility and humanitarianism (admittedly among other things not so noble) by not rubbing them out and enduring their insults and provocations.

So who would you prefers rule the world?

As a Christian my prayer is for God's kingdom to come and for His will to be done, on earth as it is in heaven. I only favor the USA as the lesser of many evils... "this world with devils filled..."

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook