Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View AP: U.S. Soldiers Promised Massacre
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:56PM #11
teilhard

I FULLY agree that it IS indeed in the BEST Interests of ALL The People of Afghanistan to BECOME -- FINALLY !!! --  a "Normal Country" that is NOT dominated by the likes of The Taliban, al Qaida, The Opium Growers, et al. ...

Apr 30, 2012 -- 11:49PM, ted08721 wrote:

Apr 30, 2012 -- 9:41PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Apr 30, 2012 -- 12:23PM, ted08721 wrote:

...They lived in relative peace before we got there...

Say WHAT?

Ted, just how familiar are you with Afghan history?

Yes I am familiar do you want to go over all the details of innocent people being killed, those that have been wounded, those that have been displaced, the water, electrical, and sanitation systems that have been destroyed in a decade of violence against the innocent people of Afghanistan, do you really want to get into it all the atrocities and war crimes commtited, I already had posted a few weeks back about how the people are living on land that is ozzing with waste.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 12:43AM #12
Mlyons619

Say WHAT?

Yes I am familiar do you want to go over all the details of innocent people being killed, those that have been wounded, those that have been displaced, the water, electrical, and sanitation systems that have been destroyed in a decade of violence against the innocent people of Afghanistan, do you really want to get into it all the atrocities and war crimes commtited, I already had posted a few weeks back about how the people are living on land that is ozzing with waste.

Clearly not as familiar as you should be - clearly it's selective at best - propaganda at worst. 

The last THOUSAND years of Afghan history has been a continuous record of Afghan tribes conducting violent feuds against other Afghan tribe, interspersed with Afghan tribes temporarily uniting against foreigners, but the violence level pretty much remains the same.  We're pretty tame as "aggressors" when compared with the likes of other interlopers in the country, most recently the Soviets.

Also, a goodly number of the deaths you attribute to us are actually at the hands of the Taliban.  There is no accurate casualty count.

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 1:48AM #13
teilhard

Afghanistan has NEVER been a "Normal Country" ... THAT is one of the (VERY unfortunate) Reasons it was/is a HAVEN for misfit Outfits like The Taliban and al Qaida ...

May 1, 2012 -- 12:43AM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Say WHAT?

Clearly not as familiar as you should be - clearly it's selective at best - propaganda at worst. 

The last THOUSAND years of Afghan history has been a continuous record of Afghan tribes conducting violent feuds against other Afghan tribe, interspersed with Afghan tribes temporarily uniting against foreigners, but the violence level pretty much remains the same.  We're pretty tame as "aggressors" when compared with the likes of other interlopers in the country, most recently the Soviets.

Also, a goodly number of the deaths you attribute to us are actually at the hands of the Taliban.  There is no accurate casualty count.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 7:57AM #14
ted08721

Say WHAT?

The last THOUSAND years of Afghan history

Do you understand what the word relative means?
Prior to our invasion and other subversive actions the country was at reative peace,, violence shoots through the roof when powers be it Russia or the United States get involved; you cannot compare the violence and damage we have done to any tribal violence that was taking place before our invasion; and as you point out violence by the Talaban has risen since our invasion, instead of going down, we have done zero in the way of lowering such violence including the violence against women, we have made the whole situation worst in that country unless one is foolish to believe the generals and president that we are winning the war.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 9:46AM #15
teilhard

Well, YEAH ...

The Taliban and their al Qaida Buddies indeed imposed a HORRIBLE "Kind" of "Peace" in Afghanistan ... (duh) ...

May 1, 2012 -- 7:57AM, ted08721 wrote:

Say WHAT?

The last THOUSAND years of Afghan history

Do you understand what the word relative means?
Prior to our invasion and other subversive actions the country was at reative peace,, violence shoots through the roof when powers be it Russia or the United States get involved; you cannot compare the violence and damage we have done to any tribal violence that was taking place before our invasion; and as you point out violence by the Talaban has risen since our invasion, instead of going down, we have done zero in the way of lowering such violence including the violence against women, we have made the whole situation worst in that country unless one is foolish to believe the generals and president that we are winning the war.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 11:30AM #16
Roodog

Let's face it:

Afghanistan is a sh*thole.

They would be better off under a Saudi style monarchy than under any form of representative government.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 12:32PM #17
teilhard

I think that is True ... And let's not forget that The Saudi Monarchy was ESPECIALLY despised by Osama bin Laden ...

May 1, 2012 -- 11:30AM, Roodog wrote:

Let's face it:

Afghanistan is a sh*thole.

They would be better off under a Saudi style monarchy than under any form of representative government.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 12:36PM #18
Mostyn32

Ted, I recommend that you read Rudyard Kipling on the subject of Afghanitan. He spent time there in the 19th centrury with the army of the British Raj and even the Brits, the most powerful military force on the planet in those days, couldn't subdue, confine or conquer the Afghanis. The last general to win a battle in Afghanistan was Alexander the Great!

And your idea of 'relative peace' sucks! But then, you're not a woman, so the well-known subjugation of women under the Wahabe Muslim Taliban regime probably seems peaceful to you. As long as women/girls do what they're told, nobody throws acid in their faces. Yep, relatively peaceful!

Finally, stop assuming that its only US troops in Afghanistan. The invasion of Afghanistan in 2002 was a NATO initiative (albeit a Bush-requested NATO initiative, following the events of September 11, 2001). I give thanks to God that Canadian troops have come home, although a number remain as training personnel, so no more Canadians are being sacrificed in a hopeless cause. Maybe your Occupy Movement could give itself focus by working to get all US troops back stateside, from whereiver they are!

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook