Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Connecticut Abolishes Death Penalty
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 2:34PM #1
Merope

Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy quietly signed a bill Wednesday repealing Connecticut's death penalty.  The state has had the death penalty since the colonial era, when a Native American named Napauduck was hanged for murder in 1639.  Stories here and here.

The new legislation makes life in prison without the possibility of release the highest form of legal punishment in Connecticut.  It applies only to future cases, so the 11 men already on death row will remain there and could be put to death (pending outcomes of appeals, clemency, etc.).

The low-key bill-signing came the same day as a new Quinnipiac University poll showing nearly two-thirds of Connecticut voters support capital punishment.  But the same poll found opinions were far more divided when respondents were asked to choose between the death penalty and life in prison without the possibility of release.  Given that choice, 46% chose the death penalty while 46% chose life in prison without possibility of release.

Connecticut joins 16 other states and the rest of the industrialized world in abolishing the death penalty.  Illinois, New Mexico, and New Jersey have all abolished capital punishment in recent years, and a court declared New York's death penalty law unconstitutional in 2004.  California will have a capital punishment referendum on the ballot in November.

Your thoughts?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 6:58PM #2
mountain_man

Apr 29, 2012 -- 2:34PM, Merope wrote:

Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy quietly signed a bill Wednesday repealing Connecticut's death penalty....

That makes 17 states now. We have a long way to go to bring the rest to civility and the 21st Century.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 7:50PM #3
teilhard

Minnesota quit the Death Penalty about 100 years ago after a botched Hanging ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:39AM #4
TemplarS

I expect much of the public opinion in Connecticut is simply a gut response to the home invasion case in that state where two men burned a home down with a woman and her two daughters inside.

So it may have taken a bit of political courage on the part of the legislature and governor to pass this bill.

As it happens, since the new law is not retroactive, those men may still wind up leaving the planet prematurely courtesy of the state.  While I am not in favor of the death penalty in the vast majority of cases-  I will not be mourning them if that happens.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 1:15PM #5
mytmouse57

Life in prison is probably more harsh anyway. 

Many people who commit these sorts of crimes are young when they do. Who wants to spend 50 years, or more, in a cage?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 2:29PM #6
mainecaptain

I think this is great. Very civilised.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 2:34PM #7
vansdad

This is excellent IMHO.  I don't think anyone has a right to take a life, including the State.  And we all know how money, lawyers and politics plays a huge role in it too.  No doubt many innocent people have been put to death.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 3:53PM #8
Do_unto_others

This is good news. When will the other 33 States catch up, I wonder?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 4:45PM #9
teilhard

A Reasonable universal Change would be to take "The Death Penalty" out of the States' Hands and have ALL "Capital" Cases tried in the Federal Courts ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 6:21PM #10
Roodog

Right now crimes committed in Connecticut can stll be punished by death under US law. We need a FEDERAL ban on capital punishment. (But don't hold your breath.)

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook