Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Connecticut Abolishes Death Penalty
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 7:04PM #11
teilhard

The SCOTUS has fairly consistently upheld the Constitutionality of The Death Penalty ...

Apr 30, 2012 -- 6:21PM, Roodog wrote:

Right now crimes committed in Connecticut can stll be punished by death under US law. We need a FEDERAL ban on capital punishment. (But don't hold your breath.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 7:34PM #12
solfeggio

A recent survey has shown that 62% of the people surveyed approved of the death penalty for people convicted of murder.

www.people-press.org/2012/01/06/continue...

Nevertheless, this is the lowest level of support since 1972.

www.gallup.com/poll/150089/support-death...

But still, with the majority of the people still in favour of the death penalty, I wouldn't count on it being abolished completely in America any time soon.

A map shows which countries still execute people -

www.theatlantic.com/international/archiv...

BTW:

According to Amesty International, 139 countries have abolished the death penalty.

www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777460.html

They include Austalia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Panama, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and Venezuela.  I am pleased to see that my country outlawed it in 1961, and Britain in 1973.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 8:40PM #13
mountain_man

Apr 30, 2012 -- 7:34PM, solfeggio wrote:

A recent survey has shown that 62% of the people surveyed approved of the death penalty for people convicted of murder.

They approve until themselves, or a loved one, is sentenced to death.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 9:09PM #14
TemplarS

Moreover (here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_capital_pun... ) it turns out that many countries where the death penalty is still legal have not actually executed anybody for years.  Only 20 countries executed people in 2011; and only 7 executed more than 10 people.

BTW, China is the Texas of the world here, executing far more people than the rest of the world combined (actual number unknown, but in the thousands). Enlightened Iran, unsurprisingly, is a distant second with 360.  Embarassingly the US was fifth. More embarassingly, if Texas were a country, it would be 8th.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 9:30PM #15
Roodog

Apr 30, 2012 -- 7:04PM, teilhard wrote:

The SCOTUS has fairly consistently upheld the Constitutionality of The Death Penalty ...

Apr 30, 2012 -- 6:21PM, Roodog wrote:

Right now crimes committed in Connecticut can stll be punished by death under US law. We need a FEDERAL ban on capital punishment. (But don't hold your breath.)

If the wrong people get in, SCOTUS may even strike down the capital punishmen ban.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 2:03PM #16
vra

The fact that we have seen people on death-row released after d.n.a. testing should give anyone pause to continue the death penalty, especially since it is unnecessary and hasn't proven to be a deterrent to homicides.  Here in Michigan, a 1st degree murder conviction is automatic life imprisonment with no parole, and does anyone want to take a guess as to why we were the first state to eliminate the death penalty?   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 2:37PM #17
Girlchristian

May 3, 2012 -- 2:03PM, vra wrote:

The fact that we have seen people on death-row released after d.n.a. testing should give anyone pause to continue the death penalty, especially since it is unnecessary and hasn't proven to be a deterrent to homicides.  Here in Michigan, a 1st degree murder conviction is automatic life imprisonment with no parole, and does anyone want to take a guess as to why we were the first state to eliminate the death penalty?   

I support the death penalty in two instances (both of which, there should be clear proof or a confession--nothing circumstantial) and that's 1st degree murder and child molestation/rape. However, if both of those were guaranteed life in prison with no possibility for parole then I'd be willing to drop my support of the death penalty.

In my state right now, we have a child molester (middle school/HS swim coach) that received 8 years (how on earth only 8 years seems right, I don't know) who is now getting out after 2 years because of a loophole in our system that allows convicted criminals to go free if they earn degrees while in prison. Problem is, the college he got his degree from counted all of his college credits from prior to incarceration and he was given a shorter sentence for 'good behavior.' The young girl that he molested is still a child and she has to now deal with him getting out of jail. Needless to say, some of our legislators are trying to fix this. BUT, as far as I'm concerned, he should have received life in prison with no possibility for parole for molesting a child, period.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 3:43PM #18
teilhard

Yes ... Sometimes a Police Officer in using Deadly Force in a public Place shoots and kills an innocent Person ... That doesn't lead us to dis-arm The Police, but rather to trying very hard to improve all Police Processes ...

May 3, 2012 -- 2:03PM, vra wrote:

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 10:47AM #19
vra

Gc, I thought you might agree.  To me, the only justification that warrants the death penalty is a situation whereas a given society has no prison system. 

As far as why I take this position, let me explain further.  Another reason, besides the possible error of executing the wrong person and that it hasn't shown to be effective in lowering homicide rates, has to do with costs that are higher, that extradition may be discouraged, and the fact that murder is often a crime of passion whereas the victim may have been at least somewhat complicit. 

The bttom line for me: I see no advantage to have capital punishment but I do see several disadvantages. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 11:01AM #20
Eat Cake

Unfortunitly the criminal justice system does make mistakes.

The criminal recitivism rate for murder and rape in 2005 was:

Within 3 years, 2.5% of released rapists were arrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for homicide. These are the lowest rates of re-arrest for the same category of crime.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recidivism

These mistakes by the criminal justice system are as abhorrent as any death penalty mistake.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook