Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 6:16PM #21
vra

By American law, unions are democratic entities, which is not to say that everything they do is right.  The idea of "right to work" is strictly a way to bust unions and really has nothing to do with "freedom" per se.  By destroying unions, workers are left more and more at the whim of owners, and they essentially lose their rights as contributors to the success of business.

I would suggest that if one thinks unions should be eliminated because some don't do things the right and proper way, then they should also want to eliminate the great many businesses that use various shady methods as well.  Instead, let me suggest that, if there's been some illegal or unethical activity, that only those responsible should be gone after and not the entire union or business.

Is it any wonder that as union membership has decreased that so many families in the middle class are more and more suffering?  If one wants a dictatorial type of system, go for the elimination of unions; but for those who truly believe in democracy, let me suggest that unions give workers a say, which is a democratic model.  The idea that some seem to have that it's only the owners that make a business successful is simply not true because without the workers the business will not succeed.  If they contribute, they should have a say.    

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 8:56PM #22
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook