Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "Octomom" Nadya Suleman
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 2:22PM #1
christine3

www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,19...

I saw single mom Nadya Suleman on Dr. Drew last night.  I generally like Dr. Drew but I felt he was talking down to her, telling her to stay focused and interrupting her constantly.  She was COMPLETELY focused and didn't need that.  She, on the other hand, was extremely acquiescing and also accommodating to callers, as they criticized her for having too many children. 

I think Nadya is an amazing woman, way above average intelligence.  She talks so fast because her brain is on overdrive and she has to split herself 14 ways.  Because she is so principled, she accepts only food stamps, even though she is eligible for more money.  She is going into TV to make her own money to support her family.  I wish her the best of luck!  I had one child and was barely able to handle it.  I can't imagine 14.  She should be applauded, not denigrated by the public.  She has had death threats.

'Octomom' Nadya Suleman: I use the media to help my children

Edit: added current new link which OPs at HTZ need to have.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Apr 27, 2012 - 05:06PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 2:59PM #2
Girlchristian

She should be applauded for having invitro when she was unemployed and already had six children that she couldn't provide for without assistance?

And what about this, newsfeed.time.com/2012/04/27/octomom-inv....

The anonymous individual who filed the complaint said there was only one functioning toilet in the home and that the children went to the bathroom outside, KTLA News reported. (Most reports say the complaint came from her hairdresser, who also allegedly called Suleman out for spending $520 on hair care while receiving government assistance for her large family.)

She appeared on Good Morning America yesterday to defend herself against what she called “a set-up” and explaining that the money she paid the traitorous hairdresser was from her own pocket, not welfare.

So, as long as she's spending a lot of money on hair care from her own pocket, not welfare money that's okay? Even though she can't provide adequately for her children?

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 3:24PM #3
arielg

I wish her the best of luck!  I had one child and was barely able to handle it.  I can't imagine 14.  She should be applauded, not denigrated by the public.  She has had death threats.

Maybe she shouldn't be denigrated, but why  applauded?  She may be sharp, but I doubt she is very intelligent. Why would anyone have  14 children in today's world?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 3:27PM #4
farragut

This is, unfortunately, one of the results of an entitlement society.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 3:49PM #5
christine3

Apr 27, 2012 -- 2:59PM, Girlchristian wrote:

She should be applauded for having invitro when she was unemployed and already had six children that she couldn't provide for without assistance?

The anonymous individual who filed the complaint said there was only one functioning toilet in the home and that the children went to the bathroom outside, KTLA News reported. (Most reports say the complaint came from her hairdresser, who also allegedly called Suleman out for spending $520 on hair care while receiving government assistance for her large family.)

She appeared on Good Morning America yesterday to defend herself against what she called “a set-up” and explaining that the money she paid the traitorous hairdresser was from her own pocket, not welfare.

So, as long as she's spending a lot of money on hair care from her own pocket, not welfare money that's okay? Even though she can't provide adequately for her children?

How is that article condemning? The investigation yielded nothing out of the ordinary in the household.  The "squalor" turned out to be nothing.  This is a single head of household with 14 children.  I doubt anybody reading this post could handle that.  Today's price for haircuts is $35.  $520 is about right for 14 children.  If she paid the money from her own pocket, the more compliment to her.   

I'll bet she has a lot of toilet problems with that many kids.  In the interview on the Dr. Drew show she said the leaky toilet was fixed the next day.  In the interview she said she had the older kids watching the younger kids so that they wouldn't pee outside, but they did it anyway. Peeing outside is a regular event for little kids. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 3:59PM #6
teilhard

This whole Story richly illustrates Medical Technology OUT-of-Control ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 4:00PM #7
christine3

Apr 27, 2012 -- 3:27PM, farragut wrote:

This is, unfortunately, one of the results of an entitlement society.

I agree, but would you rather not live in an entitlement society?  This was an in vitro pregnancy that went wrong.  I assume she means "went wrong" because in hindsight, she states she would never do this.  

Her reason for having as many eggs implanted as possible, was because she was afraid they would be disposed of.  Apparently there is a time limit.  Also, apparently, implanting more than one egg is normal procedure because not all take.  She had 6 implanted.  Her physician had not only done that with her.  He has lost his license, which I think is appropriate.  

In America people can criticize as they want.  She has had her share of criticism, and she states she is exhausted from defending herself.  But that's not the only reason.  She gets 3 hours of sleep a night.  Who here could function on that?  She functions.  I got 3-4 hours of sleep a night with 1 child while I was going to school.

When I first watched her years back, I was sorry for her, not hating or condemning her as so many do.  She was clearly running on exhaustion.  Since yesterday, I am struck that she is, indeed, a remarkable person, even though she has made mistakes.  She is no sloucher.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 4:06PM #8
christine3

Apr 27, 2012 -- 3:59PM, teilhard wrote:

This whole Story richly illustrates Medical Technology OUT-of-Control ...

Yes, not adequate monitoring.  She is the victim of this.  All of her pregnancies were in vitro.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 4:12PM #9
christine3

Apr 27, 2012 -- 3:24PM, arielg wrote:

I wish her the best of luck!  I had one child and was barely able to handle it.  I can't imagine 14.  She should be applauded, not denigrated by the public.  She has had death threats.

Maybe she shouldn't be denigrated, but why  applauded?  She may be sharp, but I doubt she is very intelligent. Why would anyone have  14 children in today's world?

I applaud her from a struggling single mom's point of view.  I was there.  I don't know how she does it.  

She knows she did not make the wisest of choices in this in vitro debacle.  Some people have an adamant position that each one of these eggs are potential children, and she didn't want them disposed of.  That's all I know.     

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 4:18PM #10
Girlchristian

Apr 27, 2012 -- 3:49PM, christine3 wrote:

Apr 27, 2012 -- 2:59PM, Girlchristian wrote:

How is that article condemning? The investigation yielded nothing out of the ordinary in the household.  The "squalor" turned out to be nothing.  This is a single head of household with 14 children.  I doubt anybody reading this post could handle that.  Today's price for haircuts is $35.  $520 is about right for 14 children.  If she paid the money from her own pocket, the more compliment to her.   

$35 if you go to a salon...between $7 (kids) and $12 (adult) if you go to someplace like Great Clips. I've been broke and I sure as heck wasn't spending $35/haircut while asking others to help me...

If she were paying her own way and taking care of her children on her own, I'd have no issue with it, but the fact that she CHOSE to have more kids (not just get pregnant, but actively pay to go through invitro) when she was already unemployed and not able to support the six she had is not something that should be applauded.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook