Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View People and the Planet
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 8:01PM #1
solfeggio
Posts: 8,921

The Royal Society has just published the results of a major new study showing that it is urgent that humanity works for the common goal of equity of consumption, and slowing population growth, if we are all to avoid drifting into what is described as a 'downward vortex of economic, socio-political, and environmental ills leading to a more unequal and inhospitable future.'

royalsociety.org/policy/projects/people-...

The chair of the report, Sir John Sulston, urged that we must learn to rebalance the use of resources to a more egalitarian pattern of consumption, and 'to reframe our economic values to truly reflect what our consumption means for our planet...'

royalsociety.org/policy/projects/people-...

Can reduced consumption truly be made compatible with our capitalistic ideology?

Would governments plan for the future?

And, would people accept the necessary changes?         

   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 12:41PM #2
mytmouse57
Posts: 9,782

Humanity's current problems require a fundamental change in how we think.


There can be no more "us and them." Instead, there can be only "we."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 10:20PM #3
Swim4fun
Posts: 24

Apr 26, 2012 -- 8:01PM, solfeggio wrote:

The Royal Society has just published the results of a major new study showing that it is urgent that humanity works for the common goal of equity of consumption, and slowing population growth, if we are all to avoid drifting into what is described as a 'downward vortex of economic, socio-political, and environmental ills leading to a more unequal and inhospitable future.'

royalsociety.org/policy/projects/people-...

The chair of the report, Sir John Sulston, urged that we must learn to rebalance the use of resources to a more egalitarian pattern of consumption, and 'to reframe our economic values to truly reflect what our consumption means for our planet...'

royalsociety.org/policy/projects/people-...

Can reduced consumption truly be made compatible with our capitalistic ideology?

Would governments plan for the future?

And, would people accept the necessary changes?         

   


Equity of consumption, and slowing population growth should be our common goal right now. Let "us"  together work for the common goal is urgent. But, diffrent peolpe, diffrent nations and diffrent social ideology make the things more complicated and difficult to accomplish.



The biodegradable, such as Shenling biodagradable tableware is on the rise, becauce it do help us produce and consume in an eco-friendly way. Maybe that we think more for the environment from everyday products or small things is a practical sollution.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 11:20PM #4
teilhard
Posts: 50,014

There are simply too many of us ...  7,000 Million Humans far exceeds the carrying Capacity of Mother Earth ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 11:40PM #5
christzen
Posts: 6,330

Apr 27, 2012 -- 11:20PM, teilhard wrote:


There are simply too many of us ...  7,000 Million Humans far exceeds the carrying Capacity of Mother Earth ...




 


I thought we would all fit in Jacksonvile,Fl.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 9:56AM #6
arielg
Posts: 9,116

The biodegradable, such as Shenling biodagradable tableware is on the rise, becauce it do help us produce and consume in an eco-friendly way. Maybe that we think more for the environment from everyday products or small things is a practical sollution.



It probably takes more energy, time and  resources from the environment to produce  disposable, biodegradable tableware and other stuff than making a good one that will last a long time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 11:39AM #7
IreneAdler
Posts: 2,849

Apr 27, 2012 -- 11:40PM, christzen wrote:


Apr 27, 2012 -- 11:20PM, teilhard wrote:


There are simply too many of us ...  7,000 Million Humans far exceeds the carrying Capacity of Mother Earth ...




 


I thought we would all fit in Jacksonvile,Fl.




As long as no one wishes to sit down.


Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 11:43AM #8
IreneAdler
Posts: 2,849

Apr 28, 2012 -- 9:56AM, arielg wrote:


The biodegradable, such as Shenling biodagradable tableware is on the rise, becauce it do help us produce and consume in an eco-friendly way. Maybe that we think more for the environment from everyday products or small things is a practical sollution.



It probably takes more energy, time and  resources from the environment to produce  disposable, biodegradable tableware and other stuff than making a good one that will last a long time.





Yes and no.  Gotta take into account all the resources used to clean reusable tableware that is not expended on the biodegradable tableware. Not saying that automatically tilts the scale in favor of the biodegradable.  


Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 7:57PM #9
solfeggio
Posts: 8,921

The idea of reuseable grocery bags is a good one.  Our supermarkets do not automatically give out a plastic bag at check-out now.  They ask if you want one, but many people say 'no,' because we all have the green bags now. 


This harks back to another time, when I was a kid, and when people always took their own bags to the shops. 


Also, I remember the days when people got their milk in reusable bottles.  The milkman delivered the milk, and when people had drunk it, they just put the bottles back out to be collected.


A lot of products that we buy that come in various sorts of plastic containers could just as easily be dispensed at the store into a bottle somebody would bring from home.  For instance, you would bring your plastic bottle that you owned to the store, and you'd go to the syrup dispenser, put your bottle under the spigot, and let the syrup go into your bottle.


You'd turn off the tap, cap your bottle, and take it to the check-out.


Also, people could bring their own containers to buy all sorts of things from apples to nuts.  You'd scoop them out of bins, and they could be weighed at the check-out.


There must be any number of ways in which we could all generate less garbage.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 8:21PM #10
teilhard
Posts: 50,014

"Glass Bottles" BREAK easily ...



Apr 28, 2012 -- 7:57PM, solfeggio wrote:


The idea of reuseable grocery bags is a good one.  Our supermarkets do not automatically give out a plastic bag at check-out now.  They ask if you want one, but many people say 'no,' because we all have the green bags now. 


This harks back to another time, when I was a kid, and when people always took their own bags to the shops. 


Also, I remember the days when people got their milk in reusable bottles.  The milkman delivered the milk, and when people had drunk it, they just put the bottles back out to be collected.


A lot of products that we buy that come in various sorts of plastic containers could just as easily be dispensed at the store into a bottle somebody would bring from home.  For instance, you would bring your plastic bottle that you owned to the store, and you'd go to the syrup dispenser, put your bottle under the spigot, and let the syrup go into your bottle.


You'd turn off the tap, cap your bottle, and take it to the check-out.


Also, people could bring their own containers to buy all sorts of things from apples to nuts.  You'd scoop them out of bins, and they could be weighed at the check-out.


There must be any number of ways in which we could all generate less garbage.





Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook