Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View when Oprah really blew it
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 11:23PM #1
withwonderingawe

Now don’t get all upset because this is coming from Rush, I was just wondering if any of you thought his observation is true?

“I'm gonna tell you when Oprah really blew it, and this is pure broadcast opinion. This is broadcast professional opinion. Oprah Winfrey, if you check Oprah's numbers... Why did Oprah give up that syndicated show? She gave it up because the numbers were declining and it's the old thing: You want to get out on your terms. You don't want to be Willie Mays dropping fly balls in short-center field a year or two beyond when you should be playing. So she made a wise choice; she got out before the bottom fell out. But why did she start getting out? It's very simple, folks. The minute Oprah endorsed Obama is when it ended for Oprah.

Because up until that time, Oprah did not have a racial identity about her. Oprah was whatever her audience wanted her to be. She was for women; she was concerned with women; she was a supporter of a calm shoulder for whatever. But when she endorsed Obama, well, then she's political. It's like why Michael Jordan doesn't say anything political. He's a big Democrat, but he's not gonna run around and get involved in politics for two reasons. A, the good press coverage will stop; and, B, Republicans will stop buying Nikes. And he can't afford that. He wants Republicans to buy tennis shoes too. Well, Oprah violated that. When she endorsed Obama, then that gave her an entirely different identity that she didn't have.

That's when a sizeable percentage of the audience just said, "Okay, Oprah, I'm gone."

She eventually said that political matters and racial matters mattered more to her than the stuff they thought mattered most to her, meaning her audience”

www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/04/24/wh...

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 11:41PM #2
Ironhold

A large part of the reason why the OWN is getting smoked in the ratings is because Oprah has no real competence as a programmer.

The general logic behind OWN was "Oprah's name on virtually anything is guaranteed to make it a hit, so why not give her her own network?".

Thing is, Oprah's shows were approved based on glitz factor rather than actual quality, and so even her core audiences are shunning the network in droves. Things are so bad for her that she actually took to Twitter to beg people to switch from the Grammys to a special she was running.

Rather than work to improve the quality of her shows, Oprah's instead developed an "up or out" policy in which shows that do poorly are automatically canned. This has actually led to a vicious cycle of the type that's been plaguing Fox, as few people want to risk getting involved with a show that might not be there next week.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 12:05AM #3
withwonderingawe

who really thinks Rosie O'Donnell has any thing important to say??Frown

They spend to much time admiring each other. 

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 12:35AM #4
rangerken

This thread is really about show business and entertainment. So if somehow it doesn't get on a US News and/or Politics 'track' soon it will have to be moved to the entertainment forum. I'm leaving it here now only because I think there may be something political here if members pick up on it.

Rangerken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:26AM #5
Unworthyone

Oprah endorsed Obama? When? I missed it.

And according to Rush, that's when Oprah became black?  Who knew?

Personally, I think Oprah was losing points because other shows were eating away at her market.  Ellen Degeneres, the View, even the Doctors were up against her in some markets.  And she moved to some obscure cable network that some cable systems don't even carry, and she wonders why her numbers are pale compared to national network syndication?

As always, I think Rush is simply blowing smoke, and people who listen to Rush inhale that smoke, killing what's left of their brain cells.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 9:22AM #6
withwonderingawe

Unworth; …she moved to some obscure cable network

I have to agree with that, isn’t it some sort of channel she owns herself.

I heard someone else talking about this several weeks ago, can’t remember who, they felt she needed to change her programming to include some conservatives on her line up. Perhaps something like the Five at Five on Fox, they generally have three conservatives facing off with two liberals and they argue.

I actual like Bob Beckel now, imagine that

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 11:01AM #7
Erey

I don't think Oprah blew it on any permanent level, I do understand that her new venture is struggling. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 11:14AM #8
arielg

Struggling?. For what?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 11:33AM #9
k-bearsmom

My perception...and mine ONLY...is that O started losing viewers when she became a legend in her own mind....not only the race thing, the religious stuff, the political stuff...many of her 'recommended' books were just junk.

However...she did launch some very good shows and people...my personal fav is Nate Berkus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 12:14PM #10
Unworthyone

Oprah is a billionaire, and as such, she will do just fine financially.  Of course, anyone who invested in her current cable network endeavor will probably take it in the shorts. The only thing Oprah will suffer is perhaps a bruised ego.

The only reason, I suspect, that Oprah has been successful is because while her competition in the far past was Geraldo, Jerry Springer, and those like them, she chose credibility over sensationalism.  Her politics probably has little to do with her recent decline.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook