Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 12:42PM #11
teilhard

"There's just no pleasing some People (Dogs) ... "

Apr 22, 2012 -- 12:39PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I took my dogs out for a long mountain bike ride.

One of them puked in the back of the pickup on the way home.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 12:43PM #12
mytmouse57

Apr 22, 2012 -- 12:42PM, teilhard wrote:

"There's just no pleasing some People (Dogs) ... "

Apr 22, 2012 -- 12:39PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I took my dogs out for a long mountain bike ride.

One of them puked in the back of the pickup on the way home.

No big deal. It's one of the reasons I got a pickup for my outdoors activities. Keeps the dogs out othe interior of my Honda Civic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 7:14PM #13
mainecaptain

Apr 21, 2012 -- 10:16PM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 21, 2012 -- 8:16PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Very true, Also making your (generic, and in this instance mine) house more green. I do all I can to lower my impact on the Earth. I am very careful about the resources I use. Less energy and such.

I've done that too. After some changes, compact fluorescents, more insulation under the house, a pellet stove (the pellets are made from waste products from sawmills), changing an old air conditioner for an evaporative cooler (aka swamp cooler), and a gas stove, my electric bill is less than $30 per month. I cut my propane usage in half with a hybrid water heater.

I recycle as much as I can. It takes me months to fill up two garbage cans.

I take public transportation to work. I drive 10 miles to a Park And Ride then a regional transit bus takes me to the Park.

I spent this morning trying to talk people into working for the Park Service. It makes a great career for kids just starting out. You won't get rich working for the Park Service but you get to work in the most beautiful places in the world, help preserve those places, and work with a great bunch of people. Any you get to wear a cool hat.

Wish I'd know you sooner. I would have loved to work for the Park Service. And wear a cool hat Wink. I love nature.

We burn wood, downed trees, old wood, not cutting down trees. I have converted all my light bulbs, and am switching over to LED as well.  We have lowered the electric bill considerably.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 8:53PM #14
mountain_man

Apr 22, 2012 -- 7:14PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Wish I'd know you sooner. I would have loved to work for the Park Service. And wear a cool hat . I love nature.

One of the great things about the Park Service is that, if you want, you can switch parks every 6 or so years. I think they pay moving costs or something. You can even live in the park, but you have to pay rent at something close to the local market rate unless it's an isolated park. And you get to wear that cool hat.... which is actually not very well ventilated and hot.

We burn wood, downed trees, old wood, not cutting down trees. I have converted all my light bulbs, and am switching over to LED as well.  We have lowered the electric bill considerably.

When I had a wood burning stove I bought fruit wood, mostly almond, that came from orchards that were taken out. One thing to remember about burning wood is that the carbon in plants is "short cycle" carbon and adds nothing to the atmosphere. Fossil fuel is "long cycle" carbon that has been locked away for millions, or more, years and is an addition to the carbon that's already there. Burning wood, while contributing to smog, doesn't contribute to Climate Change.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 9:09PM #15
farragut

"One thing to remember about burning wood is that the carbon in plants is "short cycle" carbon and adds nothing to the atmosphere. Fossil fuel is "long cycle" carbon that has been locked away for millions, or more, years and is an addition to the carbon that's already there. Burning wood, while contributing to smog, doesn't contribute to Climate Change"

Thanks, Dave, for that very useful item of information. I have fairly efficient wood-burning systems on both floors, but do not use them often. Partly because I was unaware of this fact. Next year, by gracious, we will do so much more.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 9:14PM #16
mountain_man

Apr 22, 2012 -- 9:09PM, farragut wrote:

Thanks, Dave, for that very useful item of information. I have fairly efficient wood-burning systems on both floors, but do not use them often. Partly because I was unaware of this fact. Next year, by gracious, we will do so much more.

That's not a license to burn all you want. It still contributes to local smog problems. Try that fruit wood. It's no more expensive than forest cut wood and since it is a denser wood gives more heat per pound.

In Yosemite Valley, especially in the morning, all the campers get up and start a campfire. That often causes unhealthy air quality in the "pristine" valley. If there is a wildland fire going on near the Valley, it can get even worse.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 10:21PM #17
costrel

I've done that too. After some changes, compact fluorescents, more insulation under the house, a pellet stove (the pellets are made from waste products from sawmills), changing an old air conditioner for an evaporative cooler (aka swamp cooler), and a gas stove, my electric bill is less than $30 per month. I cut my propane usage in half with a hybrid water heater.

I take public transportation to work. I drive 10 miles to a Park And Ride then a regional transit bus takes me to the Park.

The East and West Coasts seem so civilized compared to the rural farm and ranch country Great Plains. Out where I live, there is no public transportation and no recycling services besides centers for aluminum cans and scrap metal in the larger towns. I really need to get the hell off of these barbaric Great Plains and move someplace else. (Now, if I could only figure out how to land a job, and particularly one that would pay a decent wage, on one of the coasts....)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 10:51PM #18
mountain_man

Apr 22, 2012 -- 10:21PM, costrel wrote:

The East and West Coasts seem so civilized compared to the rural farm and ranch country Great Plains. Out where I live, there is no public transportation and no recycling services besides centers for aluminum cans and scrap metal in the larger towns. I really need to get the hell off of these barbaric Great Plains and move someplace else. (Now, if I could only figure out how to land a job, and particularly one that would pay a decent wage, on one of the coasts....)

Like I've been saying.... try the Park Service. Many start with a seasonal job, you get 1039 hours which comes out to 6 months. Then when other jobs open up you apply for those. Any reasonably intelligent person can get a job at the entrance stations. That job is not as boring as it sounds. It's really a fun job. The only benefit though is working in the park.... and a really cool hat. Uniforms are paid for.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 3:39PM #19
TemplarS

Apr 22, 2012 -- 8:53PM, mountain_man wrote:

One thing to remember about burning wood is that the carbon in plants is "short cycle" carbon and adds nothing to the atmosphere. Fossil fuel is "long cycle" carbon that has been locked away for millions, or more, years and is an addition to the carbon that's already there. Burning wood, while contributing to smog, doesn't contribute to Climate Change.

Well, it depends.

Provided the tree that gets burned is replaced, that is true. 

But, say, if a developer clearcuts a lot to build a strip mall, and sells the wood as firewood- then those trees are not going to be replaced, and the CO2 from the burned wood is not going to get re-incorporated into a new tree.  Parking lots do not remove carbon from the atmosphere.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 3:58PM #20
mytmouse57

Apr 22, 2012 -- 10:21PM, costrel wrote:

Like the huge coastal metropolis areas have done wonders for the environment?

I live in one of those "barbaric" areas --  right up against some of the most pristine wild country in the world. Millions upon millions of acres of it. All teeming with wildlife. I've also spent considerable time on the Great Plains, and don't have a clue what you're going off about. It's some of the most breathtaking topography on the planet. Much of it, also, teeming with wildlife. 

You want the coasts? Hey, knock yourself out. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to live in one of those over-run rat traps. (but hey, at least they have subways and recycling centers, eh?) 

I think I'll stick with these here "barbaric" places.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook