Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 7:00PM #1
solfeggio
This week-end is the 42nd anniversary of Earth Day:

www.earthday.org/2012

Well, as Ed Norton explains, it's not just about tree-hugging anymore.

www.huffingtonpost.com/ed-norton/earth-d...

Norton feels that people of his generation (he's in his early 40s) are simply going to have to face up to the fact that we have shown 'heedless degradation of the global environment'  and that we're all going to have to answer to that in the near future.

He goes on to say that Earth Day is about waking people up and showing them that we can all affect change by thinking about the products we buy, the way we vote, and by supporting environmental organisations.

More comments about Earth Day were voiced by environmentalist Peter Rugh who talks about the Occupy Wall Street activists.

www.commondreams.org/view/2012/04/21-3

As Rugh puts it:

'If we are to avoid further ecological meltdowns, our society must move away from dirty, deadly and ecocidal forms of power - these include coal, natural gas, uranium and corporate power - and towards a sustainable world.'

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 7:51PM #2
TemplarS

I think we may disagree about some details- yet on the whole I certainly agree.

The major problem today is of course political.  There is, to tell the truth, all sorts of political bulls__t being put out there about how pro-environmental policies will wreck the economy.  Almost all of this is fabricated by corporate interests and large landholders; but it is believed by millions, who do not stop for a minute to think about it,  under the guise of this flag-waving teabag-sucking "conservatism".

People who get understandably passionate about the impact of deficits on their grandchildren  have been somehow hoodwinked into expressing contempt for those who show the same sort of concern for the type of world we will leave to those same grandchildren.  Idiots.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 8:06PM #3
mountain_man

Instead of talking about, or posting about, Earth Day, I spent most of the day staffing a table at an Earth Day event. Talking does little. Volunteering and actually getting involved does a lot more.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 8:16PM #4
mainecaptain

Apr 21, 2012 -- 8:06PM, mountain_man wrote:

Instead of talking about, or posting about, Earth Day, I spent most of the day staffing a table at an Earth Day event. Talking does little. Volunteering and actually getting involved does a lot more.

Very true, Also making your (generic, and in this instance mine) house more green. I do all I can to lower my impact on the Earth. I am very careful about the resources I use. Less energy and such.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 10:16PM #5
mountain_man

Apr 21, 2012 -- 8:16PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Very true, Also making your (generic, and in this instance mine) house more green. I do all I can to lower my impact on the Earth. I am very careful about the resources I use. Less energy and such.

I've done that too. After some changes, compact fluorescents, more insulation under the house, a pellet stove (the pellets are made from waste products from sawmills), changing an old air conditioner for an evaporative cooler (aka swamp cooler), and a gas stove, my electric bill is less than $30 per month. I cut my propane usage in half with a hybrid water heater.

I recycle as much as I can. It takes me months to fill up two garbage cans.

I take public transportation to work. I drive 10 miles to a Park And Ride then a regional transit bus takes me to the Park.

I spent this morning trying to talk people into working for the Park Service. It makes a great career for kids just starting out. You won't get rich working for the Park Service but you get to work in the most beautiful places in the world, help preserve those places, and work with a great bunch of people. Any you get to wear a cool hat.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 11:47PM #6
teilhard

I observed "Earth Day" today with a brief Foray into "The North Woods," with a few SnowFlakes falling ... Yesterday my Sweetie-Spouse and I hiked a nearby National WildLife Refuge ...

I THANK  "God" for Mother Nature ... !!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 1:18AM #7
solfeggio

Snowflakes in April?  Interesting.

I, too, am thankful for Mother Nature.

My husband and I observed Earth Day by taking a long walk around our suburban neighbourhood but, since we do that all the time, that was no big deal.  We try to do more walking than driving, if we can.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 10:17AM #8
teilhard

Northern Minnesota, you see ... The forecast was for a couple inches overnight ...

Apr 22, 2012 -- 1:18AM, solfeggio wrote:

Snowflakes in April?  Interesting.

I, too, am thankful for Mother Nature.

My husband and I observed Earth Day by taking a long walk around our suburban neighbourhood but, since we do that all the time, that was no big deal.  We try to do more walking than driving, if we can.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 11:15AM #9
TemplarS

Well, Teilhard, you expect that in Minnesota, maybe-

but today they're also supposed to get something over a foot of snow in western Pennsylvania...

with leaves on the trees, that is not good (we had a similar storm here in northern NJ last October). 

Just a reminder that with all of our modern technology, we're still no match for the power of nature.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 12:39PM #10
mytmouse57

I took my dogs out for a long mountain bike ride.

One of them puked in the back of the pickup on the way home.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook