Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View 115 Years old and still going strong
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 6:29PM #11
jane2

Apr 22, 2012 -- 2:09PM, rabello wrote:

I don't see what there is to argue about, here.   Even those who prefer to die while they're still young and productive can be impressed by someone who makes it to 115 years of age, since it is such a rarity.   If he were being kept alive artificially, that would be another story.   Of course, one can take the "decline" factor too far, since we start to loose muscle and mental accuity in our 40s and really start to die the moment we are born.  I like "Live Long and Prosper" myself.

Once again discussion needn't be argument--it's discussion of various points of view. In many ways my forties brought me to a zenith :I loved selling high-end electronics, helping my customers make wise choices and bring home substantial remuneration. My youngest daughter, in her early forties is remaking her career because the housing market went south; she is doing well as a CFO and loves what she is doing.

Our life stories create our daily philosophy. I like that old Army recruiting slogan : Be the Best You Can Be. Life is a cycle, but that holds different meanings for different people.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 7:15PM #12
rabello

#5 strikes me as argumentative.  Who wouldn't be happy that somebody made it to age 115 years and is still "going strong"?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 8:07PM #13
IreneAdler

Jeanne Calment (oldest person ever) was known to have said: "God must have forgotten me." ( L'Oubliee de Dieu?).  

anson.ucdavis.edu/~wang/calment.html

Hafta wonder if this is a common sentiment of the very, very old.

She developed issues with her hearing and sight.  Not sure if I would be very upbeat with such issues. I know my grandmother- who had very little in the way of ill-health even in her 80's- began to express the notion that she was 'tired of living'.   Kinda sad to think anyone would harbor such thoughts.

I sometimes think about what I would do if I didn't have a full-time job and school to occupy my hours.  Wonder if I will be content when/if I retire?

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 8:40PM #14
jane2

Apr 22, 2012 -- 8:07PM, IreneAdler wrote:

Jeanne Calment (oldest person ever) was known to have said: "God must have forgotten me." ( L'Oubliee de Dieu?).  

anson.ucdavis.edu/~wang/calment.html

Hafta wonder if this is a common sentiment of the very, very old.

She developed issues with her hearing and sight.  Not sure if I would be very upbeat with such issues. I know my grandmother- who had very little in the way of ill-health even in her 80's- began to express the notion that she was 'tired of living'.   Kinda sad to think anyone would harbor such thoughts.

I sometimes think about what I would do if I didn't have a full-time job and school to occupy my hours.  Wonder if I will be content when/if I retire?

Irene.

I find retirement a blessing because I can pursue mainly intellectual interests of mine. I miss my husband who died 10 years ago but I have fantastic memories of our lives : we had circumnavigated the globe with many stops, most with our children and lived in Southeast Asia for 2 years by the time we were 33 !!. I have pictures of us on the White House lawn greeting Prince Charles and Princess Anne when we were thirty. And I have pix of our 40th Anniversay trip to Maine a few months before he died. My son and his family are going to Maine this summer.

I wish you well.................

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 9:03PM #15
farragut

"And I have pix of our 40th Anniversay trip to Maine a few months before he died. My son and his family are going to Maine this summer."

Vacationing on the coast I suppose? Coastal Maine is a delight, the seafood is to die for. But it seems to me that the Maine character is awfully diluted by the emphasis on tourism.

My own roots are in Frankln County, over in the west-central part of the state, in the foothills of the Appalachians, what they now call the mountains and lakes region. You can find some authenticity up there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 10:07PM #16
jane2

Apr 22, 2012 -- 9:03PM, farragut wrote:

"And I have pix of our 40th Anniversay trip to Maine a few months before he died. My son and his family are going to Maine this summer."

Vacationing on the coast I suppose? Coastal Maine is a delight, the seafood is to die for. But it seems to me that the Maine character is awfully diluted by the emphasis on tourism.

My own roots are in Frankln County, over in the west-central part of the state, in the foothills of the Appalachians, what they now call the mountains and lakes region. You can find some authenticity up there.

My mother-in-law grew up near Pres Quile (sp). In 1959, before we were married my husband and I stayed with Aunt Pearl and Uncle Johnny in Kennebunk in a farmhouse not up to code !!  Aunt Pearl baked bread everyday in a wood stove. When I caught a viscious cold she fixed me a huge glass of whiskey and sent me for a nap; recovery was complete.

My grandson and friends at MIT like a lake not on the coast. His dad's side of the family is totally New England : Mass. and Maine. My family is mid-Hudson valley not far from New England.

Coastal Maine is a law unto itself and so beautiful, an absolute haven for my husband and me who both grew up eating Maine lobster. I knew my m-i-l's family from Northern Maine. During WWII as a preschooler while his dad was a Capt. in the Signal Corps in Europe, my husband became friends  with German POW's working the potato fields there.

A salute to State of Mainers............

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 11:10PM #17
farragut

" Pres Quile "

Presque Isle. Pronounced, however, more like your spelling, not like the proper French.

Yes, it is great country. I may get up there this summer for the 55th reunion of my high school class.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 11:31PM #18
Erey

Here is a 100 year old Indian man completing a marathon (8 hours).you

colorlines.com/archives/2011/10/todays_l...

I think if you live long enough you can win #1 in your age group by default.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 2:20PM #19
mytmouse57

Apr 22, 2012 -- 1:05PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

My grandmother lived to be 102.  She outlived her husband by a good 30 years and outlived her only child - my mother - by ten.  She had cateracts and severe arthritis, and spent the last five years of her life in a "home."  The few letters I got from her (dictated to a cousin of my mom's) usually ended with, "I'm ready to meet my Maker, I hope He hasn't forgotten about me."

Is it possible to live TOO long?

I'm of the understanding that this life is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. In light of that, it is possible to live too long... so to speak. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 6:59PM #20
solfeggio

Life as a means to an end?  That's a curious way of looking at it. 

For all we puny, goofy humans know, when this life is over we all disappear into the ether and are nothing.

Or, perhaps, we are just born again and have another round of trying to make sense of existence.  It could be a never-ending story.

Maybe there are an infinite number of possible life scenarios, and we're just caught up in one of them at present - or we think we are.  For all we know we're just holograms, or projections of some far more advanced being's thoughts.  (I love that one.)

At any rate, whatever the reason we're around (or think we're around), I think we should try to do the greatest good we can.  The older I get, the more I feel the truth of that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook