Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Disgrace at the GSA
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 6:21PM #1
TemplarS
www.cnn.com/2012/04/16/politics/gsa-hear...

What these guys are doing with your money:

A government official at the center of lavish spending at a Las Vegas conference claimed his Fifth Amendment rights against testifying at a congressional hearing Monday.

Jeff Neely, the General Services Administration official who organized the 2010 conference that cost $800,000, repeatedly refused to answer questions, saying more than five times: "I respectfully decline to answer any questions here today based on my Fifth Amendment constitutional privileges."

...more than $6,000 for commemorative coins for conference attendees... $75,000 for a team-building exercise... the hiring of a mind reader as entertainment ...bypassing a staff event planner to pay outsiders to prepare the conference... repeated "scouting visits" to Las Vegas by officials and family members... videos of another GSA administrator mocking congressional oversight and joking about spending too much and avoiding investigation...

Budgets of useful programs are being cut everywheres, and they pull this s__t?

"I want indictments," Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-South Carolina, said.

Damn straight.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 7:11PM #2
jane2

Apr 16, 2012 -- 6:21PM, TemplarS wrote:

www.cnn.com/2012/04/16/politics/gsa-hear...

What these guys are doing with your money:

A government official at the center of lavish spending at a Las Vegas conference claimed his Fifth Amendment rights against testifying at a congressional hearing Monday.

Jeff Neely, the General Services Administration official who organized the 2010 conference that cost $800,000, repeatedly refused to answer questions, saying more than five times: "I respectfully decline to answer any questions here today based on my Fifth Amendment constitutional privileges."

...more than $6,000 for commemorative coins for conference attendees... $75,000 for a team-building exercise... the hiring of a mind reader as entertainment ...bypassing a staff event planner to pay outsiders to prepare the conference... repeated "scouting visits" to Las Vegas by officials and family members... videos of another GSA administrator mocking congressional oversight and joking about spending too much and avoiding investigation...

Budgets of useful programs are being cut everywheres, and they pull this s__t?

Damn straight.

Indeed...................................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 7:13PM #3
REteach

I thought the director already stepped down.  Stupidity. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 10:19PM #4
Erey

I don't automaticaly assume that all Vegas confereces are lavish high dollar events. In fact if you are putting together a national meeting where most people are going to be flying in from around the country Vegas is probably a very reasonable option.  I am refering to airfare, hotel, meals, and meeting space. Those things can be economical at Vegas.  Alternately they can be lavish and top-dollar. 

This other comemorative coins and mind readers is ridiculous. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 6:02PM #5
Ebon

Apr 16, 2012 -- 6:21PM, TemplarS wrote:

While I'd normally agree (for the first and possibly last time with a Republican), it's unclear from the details supplied whether any actual laws were broken or whether it's just gross stupidity.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 6:38PM #6
TemplarS

If Mr. Neely (who should know) feels compelled to take the fifth, that's a pretty good indication that  laws were broken someplace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 7:23PM #7
jane2

Apr 17, 2012 -- 6:38PM, TemplarS wrote:

If Mr. Neely (who should know) feels compelled to take the fifth, that's a pretty good indication that  laws were broken someplace.

Many of us are inclined to think so. What I havent seen is much serious analysis on-line or in broadcast news. I'm curious, too, about the length of the ongoing probe.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 7:48PM #8
Ebon

Apr 17, 2012 -- 6:38PM, TemplarS wrote:

Point. But I thought you weren't allowed to read anything into silence. Or does that just apply to actual legal procedings in the States (our laws work entirely differently in this area)?

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 7:53PM #9
Fodaoson

Strange reasoning, guilt by using constitutional rights, If I was subpoenaed before congress, I would evoke the fifth. Misspeaking, recalling a detail wrongly, omitting some information   could give the opposition party a reason for an indictment for perjury to congress.  It has happened.  Evoking the fifth amendment is not an admission of guilt but is exercising a constitutionally  guaranteed right of an American.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 10:38PM #10
TemplarS

Judges and juries aren't allowed to read anything into somebody's silence.

When it's my money going down the tubes, I can read into it anything I like.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook