Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Romney has a hot-mic moment
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 11:29AM #1
Ironhold
link

Obama's hot-mic moment: he schemes to sell out America

Romney's hot-mic moment: he lays out his platform

Highlights:

*Hilary Rosen's comments about stay-at-home moms not being working women was a Godsend to the GOP, as the DNC has effectively alienated a large portion of America.

**Related to the above, Romney is looking to increase aid to welfare mothers so that they can afford daycare for their children, thereby allowing them the opportunity to find a job so that they can get back on their feet if they so desire.

*HUD is going down, and the Department of Education will be severely curtailed, perhaps even folded into another department.

*The GOP needs to assemble its own version of the DREAM Act

*Certain tax loopholes will be closed, such as the one that allows deductions for a person's second home. This will help finance a proposed across-the-board tax cut.

Say what you will, but at least we now have a platform to analyze, unlike Obama who is just promising more of the same.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 12:29PM #2
TemplarS

Good.

Some of these are encouraging, some are rather ridicuous (it will take a lot more than eliminating second mortgage deductions to fund all these tax cuts- so what else?).

But- if this is his platform, shouldn't he be talking about it in public, so the public has an idea what they are getting?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 7:13PM #3
REteach

I read an article in the paper about his plan for the upper 0.1% and Obamas.  My God. The upper 0.1% are freaking rich enough already. The idea that they need a tax break makes me want to puke. Talk about greed. It put me off Romney completely.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 11:51PM #4
jane2

Ironhold

I thought the most hillarious response to Hilary Rosen's piece was the hip-hip-hurray of the Romeny's. Good press assuredly, but Mrs. Romney didn't raise those five boys without extraordinary help, unavailable to most stay-at-home moms. One does doubt she did the laundry, cooked most meals, yada, yada. Surely she didn't clean.

I've been a stay-at-home mom and a working mom who enjoyed what she did in both realms.

Anne Romney is a bit of a joke. Few are buying what she thinks she won.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 10:21AM #5
mytmouse57

I don't know much about politics.

But I do know, I would not want to be President.

Too much responsibility. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 2:47PM #6
WannabeTheo

Apr 16, 2012 -- 11:29AM, Ironhold wrote:

link

**Related to the above, Romney is looking to increase aid to welfare mothers so that they can afford daycare for their children, thereby allowing them the opportunity to find a job so that they can get back on their feet if they so desire.

*Certain tax loopholes will be closed, such as the one that allows deductions for a person's second home. This will help finance a proposed across-the-board tax cut.

More welfare?  Immigration reform?  Closing tax loopholes?  So that's the sound a giant etch-a-sketch makes when it is shaken!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 5:47PM #7
TemplarS

This is the maddening thing about Romney.

Is he running on his record as Gov of Massachusetts, or running away from his record?

If you look at what he has done, and what he has said prior to this campaign, he can be quite a reasonable man. 

If you listen to what he has said during this primary season, he sounds indistinguishable from Messrs Santorum, Gingrich, Cain, etc.

A platform is all well and good, but you really need to look to the man.  The problem is, there are two of them.  Which one would end up inhabiting the White House?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 6:11PM #8
Ebon

Apr 16, 2012 -- 11:29AM, Ironhold wrote:

*Hilary Rosen's comments about stay-at-home moms not being working women was a Godsend to the GOP, as the DNC has effectively alienated a large portion of America.

And yet her comments were no worse than those of certain Republican mothpieces.

That one's actually a decent idea but I predict that any help will be A) woefully inadequete and B) the mothers will be forced out to work regardless of their wishes.

*HUD is going down, and the Department of Education will be severely curtailed, perhaps even folded into another department.

And here come the bad ideas. I know the Republicans tend to be anti-thought these days but getting rid of education entirely is breathtakingly short-sighted even for them.

That might be good or bad, depending on the details.

Since the Congressional GOP are now just the political arm of the aristocracy, I doubt that will pass. And the USA doesn't need yet another tax cut, it needs tax raises on the rich.

Say what you will, but at least we now have a platform to analyze, unlike Obama who is just promising more of the same.

So far. We're still a good six months out (and incidently, it boggles my mind how long your campaigns are. Campaigns here last four-to-six weeks) and Obama, as the incumbent, also has a record to run on.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 7:58PM #9
Ironhold

Apr 17, 2012 -- 6:11PM, Ebon wrote:

And here come the bad ideas. I know the Republicans tend to be anti-thought these days but getting rid of education entirely is breathtakingly short-sighted even for them.

Actually, the bulk of the primary education effort falls to the states; the DoE is an oversight board / ATM machine.

Thing is, the DoE - like a number of state and local education boards - has drawn a lot of fire over the past few years due to allegations that it's rotten through with incompetence, inefficiency, and cronyism. Thus, a number of conservatives would prefer hitting the "reset" button and starting over from scratch with a new organization and a new set of rules in place.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 8:03PM #10
Ebon

Apr 17, 2012 -- 7:58PM, Ironhold wrote:

Actually, the bulk of the primary education effort falls to the states; the DoE is an oversight board / ATM machine.

I keep forgetting that you're not a "normal" country.

Thing is, the DoE - like a number of state and local education boards - has drawn a lot of fire over the past few years due to allegations that it's rotten through with incompetence, inefficiency, and cronyism. Thus, a number of conservatives would prefer hitting the "reset" button and starting over from scratch with a new organization and a new set of rules in place.

But conservatives make those same allegations about virtually everything government does regardless of the actual evidence. The modern mainstream of conservatism is just anti-government on such a knee-jerk level that you could have the department led by Mahatma Gandhi, Dr. Barnado and Jesus and you'd still get the exact same allegations.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook