Page 1 of 20  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 8:06PM #1
solfeggio

The cruel seal-slaughtering season in Canada, in which helpless seal pups are shot and clubbed for their fur, has started - even though there is no market for the fur anymore.  

www.sealharvest.ca/site/

As demand continues low, seal skins are stockpiled and selling for only $18 apiece.  The biggist buyer of seal skins, Russia, has now banned their import. 

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamer...

Even the people of Newfoundland want the killing to stop.

www.hsi.org/world/canada/news/releases/2...   

The slaughter is horrible in the extreme.

www.hsicanada.ca/pdfs/inherently-inhuman...  

So, the question is: Why does the government want to continue with it?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 8:37PM #2
mountain_man

Apr 14, 2012 -- 8:06PM, solfeggio wrote:

The cruel seal-slaughtering season in Canada, in which helpless seal pups are shot and clubbed for their fur, has started - even though there is no market for the fur anymore....

I'll agree with you on this one. This is something that serves no real purpose.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 9:31PM #3
mytmouse57

It's about money.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 9:39PM #4
farragut

If I were living further north, I would love to have a seal parka.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 10:05PM #5
jane2

Apr 14, 2012 -- 9:39PM, farragut wrote:

You are sooo baaad............... ;)  ...........................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 10:14PM #6
mountain_man

Apr 14, 2012 -- 9:39PM, farragut wrote:

I have a pair of seal skin mukluks. Real ones made by native Yupik.  However, unlike clubbing baby seals to death for pure profit, these were made for use by natives and the whole animal was used. No part was wasted.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 10:55PM #7
teilhard

"Nuke" The Baby Seals ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 11:00PM #8
arielg

Many people indulge in seletive outrage about  this.  It is no more nor less barbaric than any other form of hunting that is  accepted as "necessary" or a "sport" in societies around the world. It seems worse because the cruelty is so obvious, but a  wolf or a bear, caught up in a trap or shot  is no different.

Not all those other  animals have the public relations of the  big puppy eyes staring as they are clobbered.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 11:24PM #9
solfeggio

This is true.  But, the fact that there actually is public outrage against this barbaric practise shows at least some evolution in thought in the general public.  After all, the seal hunts have gone on for years without anybody protesting until fairly recently.

The same thing holds true for whales.  The U.S. was still whaling as late as 1927, but public opinion has turned completely around since then, so that America is one of the many countries around the world steadfastly against killing whales.

You don't judge an animal's worth on its cuteness quotient.  All life is equal and all life is equally worth of respect.  There is no moral difference between killing a baby seal, a bear, or a wolf, but unfortunately the public in its ignorance often perceives this differently.

We should all strive for species egalitarianism - rather than anthropocentrism, which gives primary consideration to human interests above that of the animal.  All species have equal moral standing. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 11:28PM #10
teilhard

Is it okay, though, for Polar Bears and Killer Whales to kill-and-eat Baby Seals  AS  LONG  AS  they DON'T wear their Fur afterward ... ???

Apr 14, 2012 -- 11:00PM, arielg wrote:

Many people indulge in seletive outrage about  this.  It is no more nor less barbaric than any other form of hunting that is  accepted as "necessary" or a "sport" in societies around the world. It seems worse because the cruelty is so obvious, but a  wolf or a bear, caught up in a trap or shot  is no different.

Not all those other  animals have the public relations of the  big puppy eyes staring as they are clobbered.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 20  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook