Page 15 of 20  •  Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20 Next
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 5:46PM #141
rabello

Apr 28, 2012 -- 2:54PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Yes and to support their families...

LOL.  You make it sound so honorable!  We might ask why they don't/won't use humane methods to quickly kill baby seals if it's to feed their families.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 5:52PM #142
rabello

Apr 28, 2012 -- 5:31PM, teilhard wrote:

No ... But LIKE Wild Cougars, not a few of them lived in The Outback North Woods and didn't HAVE enough $$$ to BUY all the Food they needed ... So they hunted, fished (occasionaly, "poached") and gathered to get FOOD ...

NOT everybody in North America is Rollin-in-Dollars, you see ...

Yep, and that's what food stamps if for.

But, as I said before, that ISN'T what's going on with the seasonal baby seal slaughter.    One might ask, if one is searching for truth, why these supposedly impoverished people don't/won't use humane methods to quickly kill baby seals if it's to feed their families for the food they can't afford to buy.  Unless you're going to argue that clubbing a baby seal that can't get away or defend itself in the head until it's head is crushed and it bleeds to death is the most humane way these supposedly impoverished hunters can think up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 6:04PM #143
belleo

I use to live on a farm . How did we kill the chickens and the beef and the pork ? It wasn't done with kid gloves . And I also know people who live close to the slaughter of baby seals . Yes they are very poor . And yes they eat the seal meat . Just like we do a great big steak and think nothing of it .

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 6:22PM #144
teilhard

Lots of People don't qualify for "Food Stamps" or are too proud to get them and use them or they simply don't know about them ... Many of these Families have been hunting, fishing (and occasionally, "poaching") and gathering for GENERATIONS before there WERE any "Food Stamp" Programs ...

In addition, Hunting-Fishing-Gathering is a Set of Practices/Ways-of-Life that are VERY Deep Aspects of many Traditional Communities ... They will continue their Traditional Lives no Matter the Programs and Urgings offered and urged by Technocrats and Bureaucrats in faraway D. C.  OR in closer nearby Duluth ...

Do you suggest that my (former) Congregants were WRONG to gather Wild HazelNuts, Wild Berries, and/or to make Maple Syrup from Trees on their Land ... ??? They ought to NEVER catch and eat Fish from nearby Lakes and Rivers ... ???

Apr 28, 2012 -- 5:52PM, rabello wrote:

Apr 28, 2012 -- 5:31PM, teilhard wrote:

No ... But LIKE Wild Cougars, not a few of them lived in The Outback North Woods and didn't HAVE enough $$$ to BUY all the Food they needed ... So they hunted, fished (occasionaly, "poached") and gathered to get FOOD ...

NOT everybody in North America is Rollin-in-Dollars, you see ...

Yep, and that's what food stamps if for.

But, as I said before, that ISN'T what's going on with the seasonal baby seal slaughter.    One might ask, if one is searching for truth, why these supposedly impoverished people don't/won't use humane methods to quickly kill baby seals if it's to feed their families for the food they can't afford to buy.  Unless you're going to argue that clubbing a baby seal that can't get away or defend itself in the head until it's head is crushed and it bleeds to death is the most humane way these supposedly impoverished hunters can think up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 6:29PM #145
rabello

Apr 28, 2012 -- 6:22PM, teilhard wrote:

Do you suggest that my (former) Congregants were WRONG to gather Wild HazelNuts, Wild Berries, and/or to make Maple Syrup from Trees on their Land ... ??? They ought to NEVER catch and eat Fish from nearby Lakes and Rivers ... ???

I would suggest that what your (former) Congregants do or did is not related to the annual, seasonal slaughter of baby seals, and that as human beings continue to evolve, one day they will seek other methods of finding food that using things like clubs and traps and snares.   Maybe even learn how to apply for food stamps if they are that impoverished!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 6:36PM #146
teilhard

People who "live off The Land" AREN'T necessarily "impoverished," no matter the Prejudices of Morally-Superior-Feeling City-Slickers to the contrary ... (Are Farm Families who practice Subsistence Agriculture ALSO "impoverished," and who SHOULD then INSTEAD rely on "Food Stamps" to get their Food at the Local Grocery Store ... ??? Why are COMMERCIALLY Produced Food Supplies to be preferrred over Traditional Sources of Food ... ???)

Apr 28, 2012 -- 6:29PM, rabello wrote:

Apr 28, 2012 -- 6:22PM, teilhard wrote:

I would suggest that what your (former) Congregants do or did is not related to the annual, seasonal slaughter of baby seals, and that as human beings continue to evolve, one day they will seek other methods of finding food that using things like clubs and traps and snares.   Maybe even learn how to apply for food stamps if they are that impoverished!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 6:36PM #147
rabello

Apr 28, 2012 -- 6:04PM, belleo wrote:

I use to live on a farm . How did we kill the chickens and the beef and the pork ? It wasn't done with kid gloves . And I also know people who live close to the slaughter of baby seals . Yes they are very poor . And yes they eat the seal meat . Just like we do a great big steak and think nothing of it .

OK, even if what you say is 100% true -- that baby seal hunters are very poor (people who trade in highly desired animal pelts are rarely "poor") -- but even if that's true, why aren't they clubbing adult seals to death, by hand, year round, and why do you suppose they don't/won't use more humane ways to kill the baby seals during the seasonal hunt?  

And there are people who do think about it when they ear a great big steak and there are even a lot of people who won't eat a great big steak because of what they think about.  

Doesn't anyone have an idea why they bludgeon them to death instead of just shooting them?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 6:38PM #148
farragut

" Maybe even learn how to apply for food stamps if they are that impoverished!"

Right, let the government pay, even if, with a modicum of freedom, you can fend for yourself.

The entitlement society.

Ya gotta love it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 6:44PM #149
solfeggio

This is ridiculous.  People of Minnesota are too poor to buy a bag of potatoes or rice or apples or oatmeal or canned corn or whatever - but they DO have enough money to buy guns, ammo, fishing gear, etc. and to buy petrol for their cars to take them to wherever it is they want to hunt or fish, not to mention paying for food and lodging at wherever it is they're going to do their hunting or fishing?

Give me a break!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 6:45PM #150
teilhard

***You're offering to provide FREE Rifles-and-Ammo to each of the Hunter Families ... ??? That's very generous of you ... !!! 

Apr 28, 2012 -- 6:36PM, rabello wrote:

Apr 28, 2012 -- 6:04PM, belleo wrote:

OK, even if what you say is 100% true -- that baby seal hunters are very poor (people who trade in highly desired animal pelts are rarely "poor") -- but even if that's true, why aren't they clubbing adult seals to death, by hand, year round, and why do you suppose they don't/won't use more humane ways to kill the baby seals during the seasonal hunt?  

And there are people who do think about it when they ear a great big steak and there are even a lot of people who won't eat a great big steak because of what they think about.  

***Doesn't anyone have an idea why they bludgeon them to death instead of just shooting them?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 15 of 20  •  Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook