Page 1 of 94  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 94 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cow Flees Slaughterhouse
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 8:46AM #1
christine3

You did good my brother. I hope the owner of the slaughterhouse is really honest and does what he says.  People must think about slaughterhouses and what they represent on an unthinking planet.  They represent murder for hire, although people will not see that unless they are told.  On this planet, how many deaths a year from war?  How many deaths a year from slaughter?  Killing by any other name.

globalgrind.com/news/cow-escapes-slaught...

Moderated by drawout on Apr 14, 2012 - 08:11AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 10:13AM #2
mytmouse57

Run, Bessie, run!!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 11:40AM #3
mountain_man

Apr 13, 2012 -- 8:46AM, christine3 wrote:

... People must think about slaughterhouses and what they represent on an unthinking planet.

Most adults in the USA know about slaughter houses.

They represent murder for hire....

Since it's not humans being killed it is not murder. They kill animals so that we can eat, and enjoy, their dead flesh.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 11:42AM #4
mountain_man

Apr 13, 2012 -- 10:13AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Run, Bessie, run!!!

She had better not run my way. I just bought a new BBQ.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 8:16PM #5
solfeggio

I'm sorry, but I could not get the link to work so could not read the story.  However, I found another link:

www.northjersey.com/news/Cow_runs_loose_...

So, why is this story important?  Who cares if one brave cow managed to escape the horrors of a slaughterhouse?  All a cow is good for is to make hamburgers and steaks, right?

Well, I vehemently disagree.  Slaughterhouses are chambers of horror where innocent creatures are forced to endure pain and suffering which we humans could not possibly imagine.

This cow that managed to get away is a hero and should be applauded for her bravery in doing this.  I only hope that the owner of the slaughterhouse really was serious when he said she would in future be spared.

If only all the other cattle and pigs and chickens and turkeys and sheep and lambs could be spared as well.  But humans' appetite for meat always overrides any and all considerations of what the getting of that meat entails.

Consider that an animal being forced into a slaughterhouse can not only smell the fear in the animals that are going on before her, but she can also hear their cries, and sometimes even see them being killed.

After all, our fellow animals have much better senses of smell and hearing than humans.

www.humanesociety.org/news/news/2009/11/...

It takes 25 minutes to turn a cow into a steak.  Even though the animals were supposed to be dead by the time they reached the second-legger (the slaughterhouse worker who cuts off the feet of the cow), too often they are still alive.

As one slaughterhouse worker described it:  'Their eyes are wide open and they blink.  They make noises.'  Some of them are still alive when they reach the tail puller, the belly ripper, and the hide puller.

They die piece by piece.

www.animalaid.org.uk/h/f/CAMPAIGNS/blog/...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhlhSQ5z4V4

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 9:30PM #6
mountain_man

Apr 13, 2012 -- 8:16PM, solfeggio wrote:

...So, why is this story important?...

It's not important at all. So what if one cow gets away. There are plenty more to eat.

Even though the animals were supposed to be dead by the time they reached the second-legger (the slaughterhouse worker who cuts off the feet of the cow), too often they are still alive.

The "bolt" to the brain effectively ends all brain functions. What the workers are seeing is nothing but reflex autonomic responses. They are not "alive" in any sense of the word.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 14, 2012 - 02:53AM

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 9:58PM #7
christine3

I'm sorry, but I could not get the link to work so could not read the story. 

I've tried to change the link on that post 6 times and don't know why I can't. Here is another link.

freefromharm.org/animal-cruelty-investig...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 10:06PM #8
christine3

Apr 13, 2012 -- 9:30PM, mountain_man wrote:

It's not important at all. So what if one cow gets away. There are plenty more to eat.

Even though the animals were supposed to be dead by the time they reached the second-legger (the slaughterhouse worker who cuts off the feet of the cow), too often they are still alive.

The "bolt" to the brain effectively ends all brain functions. What the workers are seeing is nothing but reflex autonomic responses. They are not "alive" in any sense of the word.

I'm telling you, there is no difference in pain.  Pain is pain. 

Moderated by Merope on Apr 14, 2012 - 02:57AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 10:38PM #9
jane2

Apr 13, 2012 -- 10:06PM, christine3 wrote:

Apr 13, 2012 -- 9:30PM, mountain_man wrote:

I'm telling you, there is no difference in pain.  Pain is pain.  

christine

Did you stop to think that much of which mm presents obtains?

Moderated by Merope on Apr 14, 2012 - 02:58AM
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 11:12PM #10
rangerken

What we'r seeing here is, in my opinion, some anthropomorphism. Anyway, like mountainman, I'll say if that cow ran onto my land it might end up filling my freezer with good things to eat from pats o it, and some excellent, new leather for oher uses.

A cow running away rom a slaughterhouse, or a pig, or chicken or turkey, is simply making its meat more lean.

Ken

Conservative, Libertarian, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 94  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 94 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook