Page 65 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 94 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cow Flees Slaughterhouse
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:22PM #641
rabello

May 7, 2012 -- 5:08PM, solfeggio wrote:

Hi, mouse -

Wink  Actually, we are probably in agreement where many topics are concerned.  

But, thanks for being the only one to respond to my post, which I had thought just might give a new direction to this discussion.  I guess that isn't going to happen, though.

You have said in the past that you predict that vegetarianism is going to be the way of life for people in future, and I like that sort of thinking, because it gives us all hope.  I'm such a cynic that I lost hope for a better tomorrow a long time ago.

Maybe that's why older people are so often looked upon as grouchy.  We're just too jaded to be cheerful anymore.

Actually, sofleggio, some posts from yesterday got deleted. 

What I'm hoping for is not so much a discussion of the connections between patriarchy and killing animals in order to eat them (such a discussion would require more than the black-and-white, i'm right/you're wrong, type of thinking that has been characteristic of the meat eating posters on this thread)...but....a substantive reason as to why meateating human beings shouldn't eat other humans, particularly those groups who are considered "enemies" or are in competition for limited resources.  I suspect the best that we'll hear is "we just don't do that" or some other nonsubstantive declaration, as opposed to persuasive argument.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:32PM #642
mountain_man

May 7, 2012 -- 5:18PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

In a canablistic society, "Having a friend for dinner" takes on a whole new meaning.

Two canibals are eating a clown. One says to the other -- "Does this taste funny to you?"

According to Thor Heyerdahl, in his book Fatu Hiva (great book by the way), the cannibals in that area preferred the female forearm as being the tenderest and tastiest. Be nice to cannibals, for the most part they only ate their enemies. And, most cannibalism was ritual, not for a protein source.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:36PM #643
mytmouse57

May 7, 2012 -- 5:32PM, mountain_man wrote:

In a canablistic society, "Having a friend for dinner" takes on a whole new meaning.

Two canibals are eating a clown. One says to the other -- "Does this taste funny to you?"

According to Thor Heyerdahl, in his book Fatu Hiva (great book by the way), the cannibals in that area preferred the female forearm as being the tenderest and tastiest. Be nice to cannibals, for the most part they only ate their enemies. And, most cannibalism was ritual, not for a protein source.

The ritualistic consumption of foes might serve well today for lawyers, politicans, CEOs and car salesmen. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 6:52PM #644
mountain_man

May 7, 2012 -- 5:36PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

The ritualistic consumption of foes might serve well today for lawyers, politicans, CEOs and car salesmen.

They ate their enemies to gain their "power." I don't think the "power" from those you mentioned, and including preachers, is something we want to propagate in this society. The power of those people is better left to the dead.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 7:16PM #645
teilhard

Lately, The GOP has been "Fratricidal-Cannibalistic" ...

May 7, 2012 -- 5:36PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

May 7, 2012 -- 5:32PM, mountain_man wrote:

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 10:58PM #646
christine3

Funny jokes, and I like to laugh as well as the next guy.  But cannibalism is something to think about.  Being animals ourselves, just is one step back and we'd be eating our foe.  In starvation situations we eat the neighbors.  I'd rather die than eat another person.

The mention of the cannibalistic society and that they get their power that way...  I think the tradition of eating other humans gets power, but not power from their foe's spirit as I was taught in school.  That contradicts their other traditions, of wanting the spirits not to be with them after people die, not talking about the deceased to attract them, etc.  The power that they are talking about is intimidating and outright terrifying their foe.  The more gruesome they were to their enemies, the more their enemies would leave them alone.  Carry a big stick sort of thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 11:30PM #647
teilhard

The OLD Tradition of Human Burial Custom was "pushing up Daisies" ... 

Maybe rather than direct immediate Consumption of our Deceased Loved Ones, we could render their Remains into Plant Food and eat them later on -- IN-directly as Carrots and Potatoes ...

May 7, 2012 -- 10:58PM, christine3 wrote:

Funny jokes, and I like to laugh as well as the next guy.  But cannibalism is something to think about.  Being animals ourselves, just is one step back and we'd be eating our foe.  In starvation situations we eat the neighbors.  I'd rather die than eat another person.

The mention of the cannibalistic society and that they get their power that way...  I think the tradition of eating other humans gets power, but not power from their foe's spirit as I was taught in school.  That contradicts their other traditions, of wanting the spirits not to be with them after people die, not talking about the deceased to attract them, etc.  The power that they are talking about is intimidating and outright terrifying their foe.  The more gruesome they were to their enemies, the more their enemies would leave them alone.  Carry a big stick sort of thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 9:21AM #648
Iwantamotto

rabello:  I suspect the best that we'll hear is "we just don't do that" or some other nonsubstantive declaration, as opposed to persuasive argument.

IIRC, eating other primates would be all bad an' stuff 'cause we're genetically similar and diseases spread rather well that way.  HIV used to be SIV, y'know, before someone decided that chimp brains were yummy.

christine3:   I'd rather die than eat another person.

Me too.  There's no telling where they've been.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 9:45AM #649
farragut

"Maybe rather than direct immediate Consumption of our Deceased Loved Ones, we could render their Remains into Plant Food and eat them later on -- IN-directly as Carrots and Potatoes ..."

Yeah, makes me think of that cute little tomato down the street. She always looked so tasty.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 9:49AM #650
teilhard

But ... Before to try to "pick" her, make sure she's "ripe" ...

May 8, 2012 -- 9:45AM, farragut wrote:

"Maybe rather than direct immediate Consumption of our Deceased Loved Ones, we could render their Remains into Plant Food and eat them later on -- IN-directly as Carrots and Potatoes ..."

Yeah, makes me think of that cute little tomato down the street. She always looked so tasty.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 65 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 94 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook