Page 50 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 94 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cow Flees Slaughterhouse
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:28AM #491
mountain_man

Apr 30, 2012 -- 1:36AM, solfeggio wrote:

Humans are not obligate or natural omnivores.

A patently false statement not backed up by human biology. Leave out the word 'obligate" since it is not part of any argument except a fallacious, and dishonest, one. Humans are omnivores. We evolved to take advantage of a wide variety of foods - including meat.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:40AM #492
christine3

Christine:  If humans were worked so that their life span dropped down to 15-20 years, one might rethink if they want to endorse or not.

ChristZen:  Newsflash.Milking cows don't exist at all without the need of man for their milk,or flesh.They are a domesticated type of animal that no longer lives in the wild.

Christine:  That's not the point.  If you were a woman would you rather live 1/4 your lifespan from being shot up with milk enhancing hormones to produce 20 times what you would normally, have your bosoms milked with machines as many times a day as will allow, and live in a captive environment?  I'm only putting it to a human experience so it can be understood better.  Walk a day in their shoes...

Christine:  If you are talking to me, I never said such a thing.  You have me confused with somebody else.  I'm relatively new here on the animal rights boards.

ChristZen:  Sure you did.In the post I quoted.You guys don't even perceive the insults I guess.You said a higher life form is coming.In a discussion of animal rights and vegans,it is clear this refers to vegans,which implies meat eaters are a lower evolved life form.

Christine:  What's a higher life form to you?  To me it is a planet with less suffering.  Higher life form means to me means there will not be this mass suffering.  I hope you don't have a problem with that because it's coming.  I was part of this mass suffering also.  I choose to curtail it.  I let go of the unnecessary and do the necessary.  That's my judgment call.  Going to cleaner energy is a necessary.  It's not a matter of being more evolved, but a matter of what's better for the planet.  I'd pick up a discarded empty bottle on the road side and throw it into the nearest trash bin or take it home to recycle.  If you want to call it talking down to you, go ahead.  It was you who was calling attention to whiners here.  It is not my intent to put anybody down. 

ChristZen: But yes,others have said the same thing,and admitted  to it.You are not alone.

Christine: Now I'm not going to have an argument who is most evolved here, okay? So please don't turn this thread into that debacle.  That *is* going to be problematical.

BTW, doesn't your thumb work after commas and periods? Or are you trying to be annoying? It is difficult reading your posts. 

Christine:  Reference to divination.

ChristZen: Whatever.Drug induced hallucinations don't qualify as divine revelations to most people.

Christine:  Oh boy, divination has nothing to do with drugs.  The word "divine revelations", assuming from God, is not in my repertoire.  The word "divine" historically comes from the word "divination", so don't knock it until you've tried it.  I.e., if you want immediate contact, use divination.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:47AM #493
christine3

Apr 30, 2012 -- 10:28AM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 30, 2012 -- 1:36AM, solfeggio wrote:

Humans are not obligate or natural omnivores.

A patently false statement not backed up by human biology. Leave out the word 'obligate" since it is not part of any argument except a fallacious, and dishonest, one. Humans are omnivores. We evolved to take advantage of a wide variety of foods - including meat.

Omnivores have evolved over millions of years to only require 8% meat, and there is NOTHING in meat (in the 21st century) that can't be gotten from plant sources.  

There is even evidence that historically at one time people did not eat meat (the Bible) and then went to meat.  

So what I am saying is not so far off.  So, when that small percentage is compared to the amount of animals slaughtered on this planet to eat, it only makes sense from meat producers' lifestyles to see it as economically desirable to themselves as meat suppliers and nothing else.  We live in a society that is dependent upon making money to survive and that should change also in the future.

Also, slaughter for meat-eating and humans killing humans are two closely linked and closely intertwined behaviors.  Both have to do with dominance and mindlessness; humans should be letting that go by now.  It's too late in the game. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:00AM #494
mytmouse57

I don't think anybody is arguing with the fact that in general, Americans need to eat far less red meat.

I've cut way, way down on my red meat consupmtion. I'll go days at a time without any. And I try to eat wild game meat only.

What's at issue is people trying to deny that we should eat meat at all. We can and do. We're omnivores. As a biological species, we evolved as omnivores. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:08AM #495
mountain_man

Apr 30, 2012 -- 10:47AM, christine3 wrote:

Omnivores have evolved over millions of years to only require 8% meat, and there is NOTHING in meat (in the 21st century) that can't be gotten from plant sources.

That is not true. Omnivores do not "require" anything. They have the ABILITY to thrive on a VARIETY of foods.

Omnivore: Omnivores (from Latin: omni, meaning "all, everything"; vorare, "to devour") are species that eat both plant and animal material as their primary food sources. They often are opportunistic, general feeders not specifically adapted to eating and digesting either meat or plant material in particular. Many omnivores depend on a suitable mix of animal and plant food for long-term good health and reproduction. (source; Wikipedia)

An omnivore is a kind of animal that eats either other animals or plants. Some omnivores will hunt and eat their food, like carnivores, eating herbivores and other omnivores. Some others are scavengers and will eat dead matter. Many will eat eggs from other animals.

Omnivores eat plants, but not all kinds of plants. Unlike herbivores, omnivores can't digest some of the substances in grains or other plants that do not produce fruit. They can eat fruits and vegetables, though. Some of the insect omnivores in this simulation are pollinators, which are very important to the life cycle of some kinds of plants. (source)

Go to that last site and you'll see some pictures of omnivores that might help those with a problem understand what an omnivore really is. 

Changing the definition of a word never makes for a good argument.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 30, 2012 - 03:27PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:22AM #496
teilhard

And ... so ... that's what we DO ...

Moderated by Merope on Apr 30, 2012 - 03:35PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:24AM #497
christine3

Apr 30, 2012 -- 11:08AM, mountain_man wrote:

That is not true. Omnivores do not "require" anything. They have the ABILITY to thrive on a VARIETY of foods.

That suits me fine, lol.

Teilhard, I lived in Southern California where sesame seeds were grown there.  Besides, sesame seeds don't require refrigeration.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 30, 2012 - 03:32PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:32AM #498
teilhard

Apr 30, 2012 -- 11:24AM, christine3 wrote:

Teilhard, I lived in Southern California where sesame seeds were grown there.  Besides, sesame seeds don't require refrigeration.

They're sure NOT grown in Minnesota ... And they DON'T "migrate" here on their own ...

I know that there are also lots of Almonds grown in California, too ... (Almond Trees don't need to ingest Vitamin B-12 Capsules, either) ...

BTW, both "Sesame" and "Almond" are FOREIGN Species that were carried here by the ULTIMATE Invasive Species, Homo sapiens ...

So ... Do Vegans not CARE about the Problem of Invasive Species and their terrible Effects in NATURAL Ecosystems Globally ... ???

Moderated by Merope on Apr 30, 2012 - 03:34PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:41PM #499
christzen

Apr 30, 2012 -- 10:40AM, christine3 wrote:

Christine:  That's not the point.  If you were a woman would you rather live 1/4 your lifespan from being shot up with milk enhancing hormones to produce 20 times what you would normally, have your bosoms milked with machines as many times a day as will allow, and live in a captive environment?  I'm only putting it to a human experience so it can be understood better.  Walk a day in their shoes...

No ma'am,that IS the point.Without humans needing cows,they don't exist AT ALL.Your complaint of a shortened life is irrelevant when your solution would effectively make the species extinct except for zoo specimens.

If you want to call it talking down to you, go ahead.  It was you who was calling attention to whiners here.  It is not my intent to put anybody down. 

I personally don't care if you use this language.My point is...don't talk about vegetarians and higher life forms and then act innocent  when some here take offense (as some have).If you wish to portray meat eaters as not part of the coming "higher life form",then fine.I will not be offended by someone's weird ideas about eating anymore than I would be about having a beer or having sex if I were talking to a teatotaler or a celibate.I am completely comfortable with them all being a part of my life.Just be honest about your opinion of meat eaters instead of making such statements and then protesting "who,ME?I never meant any offense!"

BTW, doesn't your thumb work after commas and periods? Or are you trying to be annoying? It is difficult reading your posts. 

I have no clue what you are talking about.If you find them annoying,don't read them.No skin off my nose.

Christine:  Oh boy, divination has nothing to do with drugs.  The word "divine revelations", assuming from God, is not in my repertoire.  The word "divine" historically comes from the word "divination", so don't knock it until you've tried it.  I.e., if you want immediate contact, use divination.

Um...think I'll stick with reality.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:54PM #500
christzen

Apr 30, 2012 -- 10:14AM, christine3 wrote:

Getting enough calcium in a vegan or vegetarian diet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIKyBqExr80

For instance, 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds is 90 mg, 1/4 cup almonds 95 mg, 1/2 cup tofu 258 mg, and here is a link for 10 top vegetable sources of calcium

www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high...

Another problem with milk...the fossel fuel it takes to ship milk and keep milk cold.  It doesn't add up.    

As has been pointed out by others,a nutritionally complete vegan diet is largely the result of modern transportation of foods around the country,with a very few local exceptions.It is not the historical diet of most humans.Therefore,there is nothing wrong or immoral about eating the way nature created you to eat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 50 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 94 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook