Page 48 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 94 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cow Flees Slaughterhouse
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 11:09PM #471
christine3

"The cow poem of compassion." -- Mohandus Gandhi

Cows call for days even weeks when their calves have been taken from them.

Here is an article on cows.

www.think-differently-about-sheep.com/Se...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 12:00AM #472
teilhard

Today I bought a Container of some very nice Vanilla Yogurt ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 1:14AM #473
solfeggio

And your point would be, teilhard?????

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 2:21AM #474
christine3

The more I read, the more I realize that cows are among the worst abused animals on the planet. 

To quote author Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson, in The Face on Your Plate, “John Webster, Emeritus professor of animal husbandry at Bristol Universit’s Clinical Veterinary Science Department, who is widely considered the world’s leading authority on dairy cows, acknowleges that the removal of her calf is the single worst incident in the life of a dairy cow.” And this trauma happens repeatedly to cows on dairy farms.

The whole article:

dairycowdiary.wordpress.com/faq/dairy-op...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 6:31AM #475
teilhard

My Point is that this Thread has gone SILLY ...

Apr 29, 2012 -- 1:14AM, solfeggio wrote:

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 9:04AM #476
christine3

Apr 29, 2012 -- 6:31AM, teilhard wrote:

Actually I don't think so.  There is a higher order of man coming.  I hate to go religious on you, but a change is coming.  It is already here but will become more apparent as time goes by.  My personal opinion, there will be a decline from eating animals because it involves suffering.  A new cycle has been prophesied in many cultures.  The holy man of the Wintu tribe says it is here and is getting stronger day by day.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 9:34AM #477
christine3

Guardian Environment Network

Greener Pastures:  How Cows Could Help Fight Climate Change.

Conservation: What goes on in the stomachs and under the hooves of cows might be the key to turning deserts back into grasslands. 

......But a growing number of soil and agricultural scientists are also discussing a low-tech, counterintuitive approach to the problem that depends on a group of unlikely heroes: cows......

I think this is a step in the right direction.  

www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jul/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 10:33AM #478
christzen

Apr 29, 2012 -- 9:04AM, christine3 wrote:

Actually I don't think so.  There is a higher order of man coming.  I hate to go religious on you, but a change is coming.  It is already here but will become more apparent as time goes by.  My personal opinion, there will be a decline from eating animals because it involves suffering.  A new cycle has been prophesied in many cultures.  The holy man of the Wintu tribe says it is here and is getting stronger day by day.  

It really has nothing to do with religion and silly end times type prophesying.It has to do with modern technology,both the good and the bad.The bad is that mass production of food no doubt does lead to some unintentional cruelty.Cattle become a product,not a life to be concerned about.The good,from the animls rights POV,is the ability to video these instances and put them on the net for wide dissemination.No doubt this influences peoples opinions.Some,who choose to accept what they see as the unvarnished truth,accept such offerings without questioning it.Others,more educated in the area of beef production,know that much of what is claimed is BS.This is not to say that improvements in the whole process aren't needed,but the picture of a cow leading a tortuous life following by a hideous and painful death is simply caca.Most cattle live contented lives in a pasture somewhere until they are moved to a feedlot for fattening,where they again live contented lives doing what cattle love to do.Eat.And chew cud.Then they are herded into an area where they are rendering unconscious,then killed and processed.If people have issues with this,then fine,don't eat beef and thereby increase the need for killing more cattle.No skin of my, or any other omnivore's, nose.

But this will have little impact on beef and other food animal consumption,despite the hopes of animal rights groups.

BTW,your portrayal of vegans as a higher live form,thereby implying that omnivores consist of lower evolved life forms,is why those like MM take such umbrage at you for the slightest things.Voice that opinion if you wish.It is your right to do so,and it does not bother me,Mother Nature designed me to eat vegetables AND meat.But you shouldn't act so surprised when others are offended by you and get adversarial with you when you voice such beliefs.

Besides,if old Indian prophesies are really to be given any serious weight,we won't be here next year anyway. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 10:36AM #479
christzen

Well,I think the kindergartener teacher put an end to all the whining and "you are hurting my wittle feewings" stuff.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 11:17AM #480
christine3

Christine: I hate to go religious on you, but a change is coming.   

ChristZen:  It really has nothing to do with religion and silly end times type prophesying.It has to do with modern technology,both the good and the bad.The bad is that mass production of food no doubt does lead to some unintentional cruelty.Cattle become a product,not a life to be concerned about.

Christine:  You may be right, but because the Mayan calendar has predicted change (along with other cultures) in 2012, people are thinking that it will happen and it helps to cause it to happen.  Granted, the Mayan Calendar phenomenon as shown on TV is a lot of hype to make money (what else is new?), but every 26,000 years there is a 1 degree precession, along with smaller cycles of change 2,150 years.  That the Mayan Calendar ended 12/21/12 doesn't mean end of the world or going out of time, because there will always be time no matter where we are.  It just means the end of the cycle and the beginning of a new one.  People will fear the worst.

ChristZen: The good,from the animls rights POV,is the ability to video these instances and put them on the net for wide dissemination.No doubt this influences peoples opinions.Some,who choose to accept what they see as the unvarnished truth,accept such offerings without questioning it.Others,more educated in the area of beef production,know that much of what is claimed is BS.This is not to say that improvements in the whole process aren't needed,but the picture of a cow leading a tortuous life following by a hideous and painful death is simply caca.Most cattle live contented lives in a pasture somewhere until they are moved to a feedlot for fattening,where they again live contented lives doing what cattle love to do.Eat.And chew cud.Then they are herded into an area where they are rendering unconscious,then killed and processed.If people have issues with this,then fine,don't eat beef and thereby increase the need for killing more cattle.No skin of my, or any other omnivore's, nose.

Christine:  Hmm, there is plenty of evidence to disagree with what you've said.  For instance, that milking cows live a third the amount of years, and less (depending on what they are used for).  They are processed into meat starting at 4 years of age because they are no longer prime milk producers.  Rethinking what people do to animals and how they are used as a matter of conscience.  If humans were worked so that their life span dropped down to 15-20 years, one might rethink if they want to endorse or not.

ChristZen:  But this will have little impact on beef and other food animal consumption,despite the hopes of animal rights groups.

Christine:  I'd personally rather be on the side of change and trying to make it happen.

ChristZen:  BTW,your portrayal of vegans as a higher live form,thereby implying that omnivores consist of lower evolved life forms,is why those like MM take such umbrage at you for the slightest things.Voice that opinion if you wish.It is your right to do so,and it does not bother me,Mother Nature designed me to eat vegetables AND meat.But you shouldn't act so surprised when others are offended by you and get adversarial with you when you voice such beliefs.

Christine:  If you are talking to me, I never said such a thing.  You have me confused with somebody else.  I'm relatively new here on the animal rights boards.

ChristZen:  Besides,if old Indian prophesies are really to be given any serious weight,we won't be here next year anyway. :)

Christine:  Indigenous have ways of knowing what is to come; we haven't all lost our divination techniques.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 48 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 94 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook