Page 77 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 94 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cow Flees Slaughterhouse
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 10:23PM #761
Yavanna

May 12, 2012 -- 9:07PM, christine3 wrote:

May 12, 2012 -- 8:14PM, mountain_man wrote:

May 12, 2012 -- 2:56PM, Yavanna wrote:

There's nothing humanitarian about not eating animals. I swear, if veganism is ever properly classified as a religion you're going to have trouble with proselytizing here aren't you? ;)

As you can see here they preach and proselytize as a way to feel superior. It's all about them, not any animals they claim to care for.

I like to let people know what they are buying from the scary foods section (meat department).  They don't know.

www.peta.org/features/agriprocessors.asp...

Actually most of us do know. We simply don't care.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 10:46PM #762
mountain_man

I like to let people know what they are buying from the scary foods section....,

They do know, and that's not why you're here.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 11:49PM #763
teilhard

I DO agree with you that "Modern" Western People are too often VERY far remote from Awareness of HOW and WHERE their Daily Foods are produced ...

Having formerly "lived and moved and had my being" in rural Farm Country for about twelve Years as a Parish Pastor, I am VERY much aware of "Modern" Agricultural Practices -- not ONLY Livestock Production, but also of  Feed Stocks and Grains and Fruits and Vegetables ... I agree that MOST of our Industrial Agricultural Practices are in need of Reform ...

But THAT is a  D-I-F-F-E-R-E-N-T  Question than the Observed FACT that Human Beings ARE Omnivores, i.e., opportunistic Feeders who can and DO eat just about ANYTHING ...

May 12, 2012 -- 8:14PM, mountain_man wrote:

May 12, 2012 -- 2:56PM, Yavanna wrote:

There's nothing humanitarian about not eating animals. I swear, if veganism is ever properly classified as a religion you're going to have trouble with proselytizing here aren't you? ;)

As you can see here they preach and proselytize as a way to feel superior. It's all about them, not any animals they claim to care for.

I like to let people know what they are buying from the scary foods section (meat department).  They don't know.

www.peta.org/features/agriprocessors.asp...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 10:34AM #764
christine3

May 12, 2012 -- 11:49PM, teilhard wrote:

I DO agree with you that "Modern" Western People are too often VERY far remote from Awareness of HOW and WHERE their Daily Foods are produced ...

Having formerly "lived and moved and had my being" in rural Farm Country for about twelve Years as a Parish Pastor, I am VERY much aware of "Modern" Agricultural Practices -- not ONLY Livestock Production, but also of  Feed Stocks and Grains and Fruits and Vegetables ... I agree that MOST of our Industrial Agricultural Practices are in need of Reform ...

But THAT is a  D-I-F-F-E-R-E-N-T  Question than the Observed FACT that Human Beings ARE Omnivores, i.e., opportunistic Feeders who can and DO eat just about ANYTHING ...

Having gotten to know you, I we can agree on about everything except for that one thing.  As I pointed out before there are millions more cows, pigs and sheep in America than people, and unless one gets outside the cities they never see them.  People eat WAY TOO MUCH meat, dairy and processed foods, not enough raw.  

People should have gardens outside their homes.  They don't know food combinations and the food is not being digested properly.  It is going to take time for the system over hall, several hundred years, in fact, and people here need not worry that they are going to be deprived of what they want, because they won't in the short term.  If kindness prevails on one level towards animals, it carries over into other levels.  

Most of us are past 50 and have seen and done most everything we wanted.  Every generation has its secrets and lies that it leaves to the next.  The Indians had a good saying, "Live for the 7th generation out."  That is the we you must think about.  If we do that, everything will be okay.

I believe the modern world is sicker for all the modern technology.  There is the basic problem of people not knowing how to eat.  My son-in-law's grandparents came to visit his parents and by the time they left were off their blood pressure medications.  They had learned about food combinations that aid digestion rather than retard it.  Not only aid it, but are totally necessary for proper digestion.    

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 9:21PM #765
christine3

"Too many births cause great suffering." -- Gautama Buddha

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 10:16PM #766
mountain_man

May 13, 2012 -- 9:21PM, christine3 wrote:

"Too many births cause great suffering." -- Gautama Buddha

So what? Cliches don't make for a very good discussion.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 8:58AM #767
christine3

Not seen...not considered.

Each year in the U.S., 112 million pigs are slaughtered.    

www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-foo...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 8:59AM #768
teilhard

Yes ... "Pork" is very popular in The USA ...

Bacon, Ham, Pork Shops, Pork Roast, Pork Sausage, etc. ...

May 14, 2012 -- 8:58AM, christine3 wrote:

Each year in the U.S., 112 million pigs are slaughtered.    

www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-foo...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 11:00AM #769
mountain_man

May 14, 2012 -- 8:58AM, christine3 wrote:

PETA is well known for lying - and for killing animals. Got a more reliable source?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 1:38PM #770
farragut

That number is probably not unreasonable; my family eats at least the equivalent of a pig per year. Hams, pork shoulders, chops, bacon and sausage. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 77 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 94 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook