Page 64 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 94 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cow Flees Slaughterhouse
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 3:53PM #631
arielg

May 7, 2012 -- 3:41PM, mountain_man wrote:

May 7, 2012 -- 3:29PM, arielg wrote:

Yes, that was their choice. If you don't want to do it, don't.  We souldn't preach, judge or make them feel morally inferior because of  their choices. Get it?

Yet judgements are being made about those that choose to eat meat and those that choose to eat something else are making those biased judgements. One such biased judgement is comparing those that choose to eat meat with drug addicts. Another biased judgement is the attempt to use a fallacious argument that eating people is no different than eating beef. It's all attacks on those that choose not to eat only veggies.

It is turning around the fallacious arguments some people use to justify their eating habits. Not all choices are on the same level.

Eating meat can be  the same as drug or any other addiction.  An addiction is a habit  that was strengthened by continual repetition  to the point of becoming  stronger than the individual's will power to control it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 3:55PM #632
rabello

There have been -- not many, but a few -- Human Cultures which DID engage in Cannibalism ...

Yes, that was their choice. If you don't want to do it, don't.  We souldn't preach, judge or make them feel morally inferior because of  their choices. Get it?

Bravo, arielg!  Take a bow!! 

Still, is does seem that there is a directly proportional relationship between glorifying hunting, industrial killing of animals for food and meat eating, and condemning cannabalism.  It comes down to one's assumptions about man as something other than animal, I think -- a hereditary prejudice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 3:57PM #633
mountain_man

May 7, 2012 -- 3:53PM, arielg wrote:

It is turning around the fallacious arguments some people use to justify their eating habits. Not all choices are on the same level.

What argument? It is the veggies here that are claiming all choices are on the same level and that they have chosen the only correct choice.

Eating meat is the same as drug or any other addiction.....

Which is an ad hominem. Got any better arguments? I've not seen any.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 4:30PM #634
mytmouse57

May 6, 2012 -- 11:54PM, solfeggio wrote:

That's an interesting point about gender politics, Rabello.  I hadn't thought of it that way, but it fits. 

As one author, Jacques Derrida, observed:

'In order to be recognized as a full subject one must be a meat-eater, a man, and an authoritative, speaking self.'

Another writer (Carol J. Adams) noted that meat eating was irreducibly linked to masculinity.  She goes on to say that 'what, or more precisely who we eat, is determined by the patriarchial politics of our culture, and the meanings attached to the meat eating include meanings clustered around virility.'

The message is that men are supposed to eat meat, and meat is associated with virility.

And at least one study backs that up.  According to a 1992 study by Vegetarian Times, of the 12 million Americans who call themselves vegetarians, 68% are female, while only 32% are male.  In other words, in the vegetarian world, women outnumber men two to one.

Women adopt vegetarianism at twice the rate of men, which may be due to the hierarchical way the gender roles are established.

OMG, solf, we agree on something! Wink

No doubt in my mind, a less patriarchal world will also mean less meat consumption -- more vegitarianism. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:07PM #635
teilhard

In one of my all Time favorite Sci-Fi Books, "Stranger in a Strange Land," Rob't. Heinlein discussed a Martian (Funeral) Custom of "Grokking" the Deceased, i.e., EATING her/him ... (In Traditional Aboriginal New Guinea, they actually literally DID this, and I suppose in the remote Areas, probably still do so ...)

There have been -- not many, but a few -- Human Cultures which DID engage in Cannibalism ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:08PM #636
solfeggio

Hi, mouse -

Wink  Actually, we are probably in agreement where many topics are concerned.  

But, thanks for being the only one to respond to my post, which I had thought just might give a new direction to this discussion.  I guess that isn't going to happen, though.

You have said in the past that you predict that vegetarianism is going to be the way of life for people in future, and I like that sort of thinking, because it gives us all hope.  I'm such a cynic that I lost hope for a better tomorrow a long time ago.

Maybe that's why older people are so often looked upon as grouchy.  We're just too jaded to be cheerful anymore.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:11PM #637
solfeggio

teilhard -

From what I've read, eating humans can lead to resistance to CJD.

www.nhs.uk/news/2009/11November/Pages/br...

Curiouser and curiouser.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:16PM #638
mytmouse57

May 7, 2012 -- 5:08PM, solfeggio wrote:

Hi, mouse -

Wink  Actually, we are probably in agreement where many topics are concerned.  

But, thanks for being the only one to respond to my post, which I had thought just might give a new direction to this discussion.  I guess that isn't going to happen, though.

You have said in the past that you predict that vegetarianism is going to be the way of life for people in future, and I like that sort of thinking, because it gives us all hope.  I'm such a cynic that I lost hope for a better tomorrow a long time ago.

Maybe that's why older people are so often looked upon as grouchy.  We're just too jaded to be cheerful anymore.

No problem, Solf. I think that mass meat consumption -- along with many other things in our society -- is essentially patriarchal. I think a true and actual balance between the feminine and masculine, actual equality of men and women, is in humanity's future.

Not only that, but the mass production/mass consumption of meat is untenable in the long run for three basic reasons.

Animal cruelty, environmental concerns, public health. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:18PM #639
arielg

Solfeggio:

You are an encyclopedia of interesting facts.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 5:18PM #640
mytmouse57

May 7, 2012 -- 5:11PM, solfeggio wrote:

teilhard -

From what I've read, eating humans can lead to resistance to CJD.

www.nhs.uk/news/2009/11November/Pages/br...

Curiouser and curiouser.

In a canablistic society, "Having a friend for dinner" takes on a whole new meaning.

Two canibals are eating a clown. One says to the other -- "Does this taste funny to you?"

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 64 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 94 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook