Page 63 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 94 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cow Flees Slaughterhouse
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:39AM #621
mindis1

When I last looked at this thread, at least a couple of people mentioned “research” that is somehow supposed to defend meat-eating by humans. But no one was able to present any such research. I take it no one has cited any such “research” yet. Here I ask for the third time for that research that supposedly defends meat-eating by humans.

The fact is that without some sort of logical scientific defense of meat-eating by humans, there is no defense of human meat-eating.  Obviously one cannot justify the torturing and killing of animals on aesthetic grounds.  

I believe GC said this:

I provided the numerous vitamins and proteins that one gets from meat, some of which, can't be gotten from a plant-based diet

These “numerous vitamins and proteins” would be such an easy list to provide, at least by anyone who had done any research into the issue, if there were such “numerous vitamins and proteins” that humans need to acquire and can only be gotten from animal flesh. (BTW: humans synthesize proteins.)

In case I have not made myself clear here, the only non-stupid response to this post from anyone who contends that there is some kind of scientific evidence by which to defend meat-eating by humans is to cite that evidence and make that argument.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:50AM #622
mountain_man

May 7, 2012 -- 9:39AM, mindis1 wrote:

.....In case I have not made myself clear here, the only non-stupid response to this post...

Not an unexpected ploy. It is known by everyone here that certain nutrients are EASIER to get from meat than by veggies alone. If one pays attention and gets educated in proper vegetarian diets then these nutrients can be obtained without eating meat.

I do not recall anyone claiming that these nutrients cannot be had from a vegetarian diet. If they did, then politely explain how the claim was wrong. I also do not recall anyone saying that anyone that chooses should not maintain a vegetarian diet or that such a diet cannot be a healthy one.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 10:22AM #623
christine3

May 7, 2012 -- 9:38AM, mountain_man wrote:

May 7, 2012 -- 12:39AM, christine3 wrote:

This is an interesting article.

Sophomoric, highly biased, but not interesting.

I'm not the only one who sees killing animals to eat their meat is the same as killing humans to eat their meat, though was was surprised to see it in print.

Very few people would believe anything like that. There is a difference between humans, cattle, pigs, birds, etc. Only one of those is our own species. Eating human flesh is pretty much a universal taboo.

This is about everybody, animals included.  The American economic system is and has always been like a ring where humans get in and have at it.  It is called capitalism.  It leads to winners and losers, the obscenely rich (this is a mental disorder by the way just like obesity or any other system out of control), and the equally obscenely poor.  The planet overall has had its destruction of species, ecosystems, and threatens the human race, to make a buck.  Oh isn't that AWFUL ?!?!  Nothing is done until it threatens the human race.  Nevermind the slaughter that is happening up until that time.  The slaughter planet, where everybody but the insanely rich live well.  They live in bordered properties to protect themselves.  As for the rest of the world (the majority who are just getting by, or NOT), it takes years to organize and mobilize.  It takes overcoming the separateness such a system enforces, overcoming fear, and facing death, most of the time having only their bodies, sticks and stones.  This is the prison planet, slaughter planet, and cannibalistic planet (in more ways than one).  The capitalistic system is just that.

Moderated by Merope on May 07, 2012 - 03:10PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 10:26AM #624
mountain_man

All except for a tiny minority of people in this world do not equate eating a cow with eating a human. They realize that cows are not human. To equate the two is preposterous.

Moderated by Merope on May 07, 2012 - 03:10PM

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 10:42AM #625
christine3

May 7, 2012 -- 10:26AM, mountain_man wrote:

All except for a tiny minority of people in this world do not equate eating a cow with eating a human. They realize that cows are not human. To equate the two is preposterous.

Realizing cows are not human is not getting at the essence of the behavior.

If you don't see the connection between it all (oh and I went back and added a few sentences at the end), that's your problem.  It is all connected.  

Meat is meat, muscle is muscle, blood is blood.  When you make it alright to eat animal parts which are the same as human parts, and separate and compartmentalize off from each other the different categories so that the essence of the behavior is not clear, then it is a problem.  Since the development of industry, slaughter has gone up 100% (at the same time put it out of sight).  This is all done for money.  Money money money.  Last century every family had a cow.  Cows were treated humanely for the most part.  We should go back to that as one step in the right direction, lessen the population, take care of the land equal rights for all, live as a supportive community, not be fed by monopolies.  Light bulb goes on -- IDEA!  Come to think of it, the way we treat cattle is the way we think of ourselves and treat ourselves as well...the way we allow our leaders (captors who hold us) to treat us.  Humans are herded around just like cattle, lied to and kept in the dark.  Only one lone human per million escapes the brainwash and is able to climb out of the pen.

Moderated by Merope on May 07, 2012 - 03:12PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 10:50AM #626
arielg

Meat is meat, muscle is muscle, blood is blood.  When you make it alright to eat animal parts which are the same as human parts, and separate and compartmentalize off from each other the different categories so that the essence of the behavior is not clear, then it is a problem.

That is a good point.  If meat is meat, why not eat people? 

Maybe biology is not all there is to the problem, eh?. 

Some  people seem to reduce it to studies about biological facts (usually conducted by meat eating scientists at the service of the meat industry) and refuse to consider the human aspects of the problem, like empathy, respect for the life of other beings, love, ethics, etc.  They are  even more important than the aquired benefits of the habit of eating meat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 12:19PM #627
mountain_man

May 7, 2012 -- 10:42AM, christine3 wrote:

Realizing cows are not human is not getting at the essence of the behavior.

A "behavior" you choose not to participate in.

Moderated by Merope on May 07, 2012 - 03:13PM

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 3:16PM #628
teilhard

There have been -- not many, but a few -- Human Cultures which DID engage in Cannibalism ...

May 7, 2012 -- 10:50AM, arielg wrote:

Meat is meat, muscle is muscle, blood is blood.  When you make it alright to eat animal parts which are the same as human parts, and separate and compartmentalize off from each other the different categories so that the essence of the behavior is not clear, then it is a problem.

That is a good point.  If meat is meat, why not eat people? 

Maybe biology is not all there is to the problem, eh?. 

Some  people seem to reduce it to studies about biological facts (usually conducted by meat eating scientists at the service of the meat industry) and refuse to consider the human aspects of the problem, like empathy, respect for the life of other beings, love, ethics, etc.  They are  even more important than the aquired benefits of the habit of eating meat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 3:29PM #629
arielg

There have been -- not many, but a few -- Human Cultures which DID engage in Cannibalism ...

Yes, that was their choice. If you don't want to do it, don't.  We souldn't preach, judge or make them feel morally inferior because of  their choices. Get it?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 3:41PM #630
mountain_man

May 7, 2012 -- 3:29PM, arielg wrote:

Yes, that was their choice. If you don't want to do it, don't.  We souldn't preach, judge or make them feel morally inferior because of  their choices. Get it?

Yet judgements are being made about those that choose to eat meat and those that choose to eat something else are making those biased judgements. One such biased judgement is comparing those that choose to eat meat with drug addicts. Another biased judgement is the attempt to use a fallacious argument that eating people is no different than eating beef. It's all attacks on those that choose not to eat only veggies.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 63 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 94 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook