Page 62 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 94 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cow Flees Slaughterhouse
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 10:36PM #611
teilhard

I have long chosen NOT to eat "Veal" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 10:44PM #612
christine3

May 6, 2012 -- 10:36PM, teilhard wrote:

Good on you! I think it has been outlawed because of the inhumane way they were raised. Driving through the midwest once I looked down an embankment and saw hundreds of baby calves chained to studs in the ground.  I didn't know what it was for.  I was told that they also are hoisted up and live hanging by their bellies all their lives until slaughtered.  For the life of me, I can't understand why humans do such things.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 10:49PM #613
teilhard

Human Beings do LOTS of puzzling Things, yes ... ??? (NOT all of them healthy or good ...)

May 6, 2012 -- 10:44PM, christine3 wrote:

May 6, 2012 -- 10:36PM, teilhard wrote:

Good on you! I think it has been outlawed because of the inhumane way they were raised. Driving through the midwest once I looked down an embankment and saw hundreds of baby calves chained to studs in the ground.  I didn't know what it was for.  I was told that they also are hoisted up and live hanging by their bellies all their lives until slaughtered.  For the life of me, I can't understand why humans do such things.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 11:10PM #614
rabello

Well, people who hate vegetarians are both male and female.  Yet there is often the pungent aroma of gender politics behind the animosity, as if you personally, are demanding that the Marlboro Man -- or Rowdy Yates -- NOT feed Their Woman and Their Children, and that both are "designed" to be seen not heard.

Moderated by Merope on May 07, 2012 - 01:22AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 11:54PM #615
solfeggio

That's an interesting point about gender politics, Rabello.  I hadn't thought of it that way, but it fits. 

As one author, Jacques Derrida, observed:

'In order to be recognized as a full subject one must be a meat-eater, a man, and an authoritative, speaking self.'

Another writer (Carol J. Adams) noted that meat eating was irreducibly linked to masculinity.  She goes on to say that 'what, or more precisely who we eat, is determined by the patriarchial politics of our culture, and the meanings attached to the meat eating include meanings clustered around virility.'

The message is that men are supposed to eat meat, and meat is associated with virility.

And at least one study backs that up.  According to a 1992 study by Vegetarian Times, of the 12 million Americans who call themselves vegetarians, 68% are female, while only 32% are male.  In other words, in the vegetarian world, women outnumber men two to one.

Women adopt vegetarianism at twice the rate of men, which may be due to the hierarchical way the gender roles are established.

Moderated by Merope on May 07, 2012 - 01:24AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 12:18AM #616
mountain_man

May 6, 2012 -- 7:05PM, christine3 wrote:

"My chosen belief".  People can't have their chosen beliefs.  Now that's great.

Where did I say you cannot hold your chosen beliefs?

Moderated by Merope on May 07, 2012 - 12:32AM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 12:39AM #617
christine3

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_of_eating_m...

This is an interesting article.  I'm not the only one who sees killing animals to eat their meat is the same as killing humans to eat their meat, though was was surprised to see it in print.  I guess I'm not alone.

Meat is meat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 1:06AM #618
christine3

It just amazes me what the meat industry gets away with.  What's in our cows?  

www.opb.org/thinkoutloud/shows/whats-our...

And the poor cow doesn't have anything to do with it and doesn't want to be there anyway.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 1:32AM #619
Merope

Hi, all,

Heads-up that a number of posts have been removed.  Please keep discussion focused on topic rather than negatively on each other.  If you think a post has violated a ROC, please report it rather than accusing the poster of personal attacks, etc., so that the hosts can deal with it.  It's your community, though, so I know you have the ability and the desire to handle this topic without going off the rails Kiss

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 9:38AM #620
mountain_man

May 7, 2012 -- 12:39AM, christine3 wrote:

This is an interesting article.

Sophomoric, highly biased, but not interesting.

I'm not the only one who sees killing animals to eat their meat is the same as killing humans to eat their meat, though was was surprised to see it in print.

Very few people would believe anything like that. There is a difference between humans, cattle, pigs, birds, etc. Only one of those is our own species. Eating human flesh is pretty much a universal taboo.

Moderated by Merope on May 07, 2012 - 03:07PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 62 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 94 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook