Page 6 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 94 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cow Flees Slaughterhouse
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:00PM #51
farragut

Stick it in your ear. This is the kind of offensive hosreshit of which one quickly tires.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:03PM #52
rabello

Apr 16, 2012 -- 1:29PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Reminds me of a song..

"Cows with guns"

Sorry, sounds like the creator of this juvenile creation is first class human A-hole

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:10PM #53
rabello

Apr 16, 2012 -- 2:00PM, farragut wrote:

Stick it in your ear. This is the kind of offensive hosreshit of which one quickly tires.

Right back at ya!   There is nothing offensive about this thread topic.  Yet, here we are, yet again, hearing about what hurt feelings some meat eaters, hunters and gun lovers have.  That is quickly tiresome, I agree.  If one doesn't care about the cow who got away, one doesn't have to mock those who do.  In fact those who don't care about this topic don't have to participate here if it hurts their feelings so much. 

I can't recall many meat eaters/hunters/gun lovers saying they "respect" vegetarians and vegans, like Cesmom said, or that a vegetarian diet is probably healthier than a one that includes meat, like Cesmom said.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:10PM #54
mountain_man

Apr 16, 2012 -- 1:33PM, farragut wrote:

I think that what mom Ces reflects the position of most of us. But when we are spitefully used by the evangelists, we tend to talk back in kind.

That's right. We do not judge the vegetarians but they constantly judge us.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:26PM #55
mytmouse57

Apr 16, 2012 -- 1:56PM, rabello wrote:

I think that what mom Ces reflects the position of most of us. But when we are spitefully used by the evangelists, we tend to talk back in kind.

Apr 16, 2012 -- 1:34PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Actually, I would have to say the animal rights/vegan folks are the ones usually doing the berating and preaching -- often laced with misanthrophy and vicious characterizations of those who disagree.

Is that violins I'm hearing???

If there was any truth with such one sided statements, I'd say get a lawyer.  As it is, I'll say, cry me a river.

The defensiveness and aggression of some meat eaters, and of hunters and gun lovers on this board are the most striking characteristics of these threads.  There's nothing offensive about this thread.   Such aggressive defensiveness can be a sign of internal feelings of guilt. 

Who is crying?

Certainly not me. I've debated enough amimal rights zealots, vegans, anti-hunters and anti-firearm people over the years, it's like brushing something off my sleeve. 

I respect vegetarianism and veganism as noble, sound, thoughtful life choices.

I disagree with animal rights and think it requires a fundamental break from reality, but I don't begrudge the philosophy itself. 

What I don't suffer, and what I will call to task --- sometimes very bluntly -- is sanctimonious preaching of any of those things. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:27PM #56
rabello

Apr 16, 2012 -- 2:10PM, mountain_man wrote:

That's right. We do not judge the vegetarians but they constantly judge us.

I am not a vegetarian and I do not feel "judged" so what farragut sais isn't "right".  One can choose to feel offended by vegetarians, or pretend to be offended by vegetarians to get them to just shut up, but that's hardly honorable.

These threads are full of judgement against vegetarians and vegans for their passions.

As I said before, I don't recall many of the most aggressive defenders of meat-eating here saying they "respect" vegetarians and vegans, or that a vegetarian diet is healthier than a meat-eating diet.   I don't recall many of the most aggressive defenders of meat-eating saying they just enjoy their steaks too much to give them up in the interest of having a healthier diet.

There is nothing offensive about this particular thread topic.  The hurt feelings of meat eaters is misplaced on this thread.  Either you are glad for the cow that got away or you are not...that's all one has to address.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:33PM #57
teilhard

Having spent some Time in Farm Country, I AGREE that MANY Animals raised for Food ARE treated with needless Cruelty ... and I AGREE that we need MUCH better Protection of Animal Rights ...

But I DO eat "Meat," although not a LOT of it ...

Apr 16, 2012 -- 1:25PM, rabello wrote:

Apr 16, 2012 -- 12:16PM, teilhard wrote:

As It is Written, "Matters of Taste are not subject to Debate ... "

Matters of cruelty and/or suffering are subject to debate, though.

For all the talk of "instinct" and the "food chain" and such, what it comes down to is that humans have a choice in the matter and can choose not to be cruel, or use cruel practices that cause suffering...or they can choose not to.

The only reason humans are at the "top" of the food chain is their brains, not their adapted brawn, and just as those brains can lead them to choose cruelty, those same brains can lead them to choose the opposite.

There is no reason to berate vegetarians or vegans the way it is self-righteously done on this board.    I think Cesmon's answer is the best one on this thread!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:36PM #58
rabello

Apr 16, 2012 -- 2:26PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

What I don't suffer, and what I will call to task --- sometimes very bluntly -- is sanctimonious preaching of any of those things. 

And what, pray tell, "preaching" do you see on this thread?  Perhaps the honorable thing to do would be to ignore threads whose topics disgust you.

What you said works both ways, as you should know.   Some will "call to task -- sometimes very bluntly" -- self-righteous, overly aggressive, insulting "preaching" about the benefits of eating meat, of animal husbandry, of hunting, of gun ownership.  You sound like you "believe" that your side has some kind of "right" to be abusive of those you disagree with. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:38PM #59
arielg

Apr 16, 2012 -- 1:56PM, rabello wrote:

Apr 16, 2012 -- 1:34PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Actually, I would have to say the animal rights/vegan folks are the ones usually doing the berating and preaching -- often laced with misanthrophy and vicious characterizations of those who disagree.

Is that violins I'm hearing???

If there was any truth with such one sided statements, I'd say get a lawyer.  As it is, I'll say, cry me a river.

The defensiveness and aggression of some meat eaters, and of hunters and gun lovers on this board are the most striking characteristics of these threads.  There's nothing offensive about this thread.   Such aggressive defensiveness can be a sign of internal feelings of guilt. 

Be gentle, Rabello. We have to be careful with these sensitive people. They can shoot, cage and eat anything that moves without ever  a word about the value of any sentient being (except as food), but they are so sensitive about being "sanctimoniously  preached, judged, spitefully used by the evangelists, berated and  being  forced to believe", etc.

They are so afraid that  our  "offensive hosreshit of which they quickly tires" would force  them to change and eat cardboard instead of the juicy hamburgers. Can't blame them.  Someone  has to defend our predatory  habits.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 3:00PM #60
mytmouse57

Apr 16, 2012 -- 2:33PM, teilhard wrote:

Having spent some Time in Farm Country, I AGREE that MANY Animals raised for Food ARE treated with needless Cruelty ... and I AGREE that we need MUCH better Protection of Animal Rights ...

But I DO eat "Meat," although not a LOT of it ...

Apr 16, 2012 -- 1:25PM, rabello wrote:

Apr 16, 2012 -- 12:16PM, teilhard wrote:

As It is Written, "Matters of Taste are not subject to Debate ... "

Matters of cruelty and/or suffering are subject to debate, though.

For all the talk of "instinct" and the "food chain" and such, what it comes down to is that humans have a choice in the matter and can choose not to be cruel, or use cruel practices that cause suffering...or they can choose not to.

The only reason humans are at the "top" of the food chain is their brains, not their adapted brawn, and just as those brains can lead them to choose cruelty, those same brains can lead them to choose the opposite.

There is no reason to berate vegetarians or vegans the way it is self-righteously done on this board.    I think Cesmon's answer is the best one on this thread!

I've lived in the heart of farm/ranch country my entire life. There is always room for improvement. I think most of the blatant animal abuse takes when operations reach the scale of "agri-industry."

Eating a lot of meat isn't healthy. I've cut way back over the years. It's not unusual for me to go two or three days without any.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 94 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook