Post Reply
Page 24 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 94 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cow Flees Slaughterhouse
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 12:27AM #231
mountain_man
Posts: 39,105

Apr 18, 2012 -- 11:50PM, jane2 wrote:

The cow escaping the slaughter house was a one-day story.


It wasn't even a story, just a bit of fluff to fill news time that could have been put to better use.


Eat and live as you wish. Let those of us with other concerns do likewise. If I could change a bit of what goes on with the slaughter of animals I would, but I have other priorities. I want our children well-educated so they can think. All of my grandchildren in high school and college can do just that. They will choose how they live--probably upper middle class.


That's the whole problem here; people are making an educated choice on how to live. When that educated choice involves eating meat some just cannot deal with it. They have to preach in a very condescending manner. They cannot let others live as they wish.


I have other priorities too; one of them is to prevent people from being slaughtered or to prevent the Regressives take away women's rights, or to prevent our slide back into the Jim Crow era. Saving cows is way at the bottom of my list.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 12:29AM #232
teilhard
Posts: 50,772

"Hey ... !!! Let's 'Twist' again, like we did last Summer ... !!!"  (Was that Song by "Chubby Checker" or "Fats Domino" ... ???)


Apr 19, 2012 -- 12:22AM, mountain_man wrote:


Apr 18, 2012 -- 10:30PM, christine3 wrote:

Don't "bother" to say anything. It will be a contraction. Your track record...


I see from that reply that you simply cannot come back with a cogent argument without twisting my words. But, with YOUR track record, that's not a surprise. It's funny that you continuously twist my words yet you whine about others twisting yours.





Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 12:57AM #233
rabello
Posts: 20,889

Nobody is preventing anyone here from eating meat or living the way they want to live.  The answer is simple: if you're not interested in the topic, if you think it's a waste of time, or just a fluff piece, then don't post here. Start your own thread about your own priorities. Instead of ruining this one just cause you don't like it (the generic "you").   It's really is that simple.  It's an open forum, there are no "owners" or "gatekeepers" here.


I'm glad the cow escaped!.  I'm sure management will enact even more stingent rules to ensure such human failures don't occur in the future, though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 1:21AM #234
solfeggio
Posts: 9,111

Yes, I find it curious that some of the posters, notably mm, but also Jane and one or two others, continue to put their two cents into this particular thread again and again, day after day, whilst emphatically proclaiming all the while that this particular topic has absolutely no significance whatsoever.


What's that all about, huh?


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 7:48AM #235
teilhard
Posts: 50,772

Well, a Sermon DOES tend to draw some Level of Response, yes ... ???


Apr 19, 2012 -- 1:21AM, solfeggio wrote:


Yes, I find it curious that some of the posters, notably mm, but also Jane and one or two others, continue to put their two cents into this particular thread again and again, day after day, whilst emphatically proclaiming all the while that this particular topic has absolutely no significance whatsoever.


What's that all about, huh?


 





Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 9:31AM #236
arielg
Posts: 9,116

Apr 19, 2012 -- 12:50AM, jane2 wrote:

The cow escaping the slaughter house was a one-day story.



It wasn't even a story, just a bit of fluff to fill news time that could have been put to better use



It was enough of a story that some pèople with nothing to say spent 24 pages trying to poo-poo it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 10:09AM #237
christine3
Posts: 6,972

Apr 19, 2012 -- 12:22AM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 18, 2012 -- 10:30PM, christine3 wrote:

Don't "bother" to say anything. It will be a contraction. Your track record...


I see from that reply that you simply cannot come back with a cogent argument without twisting my words. But, with YOUR track record, that's not a surprise. It's funny that you continuously twist my words yet you whine about others twisting yours.




I'll be your English teacher :) for a wee moment.  Please, give me examples.  For the life of me I don't see how I twist your words.  Arguing my point, trying to clarify my point, is not twisting your words.  Come to think of it, no, I don't whine about anybody twisting my words unless it gets so obvious.  Then I am pushed to say you or somebody twisted.  Nobody that I know enthusiastically purposefully twists peoples' words.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 10:25AM #238
christine3
Posts: 6,972

Apr 19, 2012 -- 7:48AM, teilhard wrote:


Well, a Sermon DOES tend to draw some Level of Response, yes ... ???


Apr 19, 2012 -- 1:21AM, solfeggio wrote:


Yes, I find it curious that some of the posters, notably mm, but also Jane and one or two others, continue to put their two cents into this particular thread again and again, day after day, whilst emphatically proclaiming all the while that this particular topic has absolutely no significance whatsoever.


What's that all about, huh?


 









Sermon perhaps, but I am happy to be on the side of the issue of people who are trying to do something about the problem of suffering.  I believe Gandhi was right when he said a society can be judged by how it treats its weakest citizens.  If he were here and were asked human or animal, I'm sure he'd say "both".  Because one is contingent upon the other.


There simply has to do be something to rectify the situation.  Human intelligence grows, consciousness is expanded when trying to figure these dilemmas out.  I once told a friend that 'animals teach us how to love'.  It is true on many levels.  We do learn how to love other ways of course.


When I was a child I had no business having a pet because I was not educated enough.  The pet suffered for it.  Our family went through dogs like donuts because our family was not educated enough to responsibly care for an animal.  This haunts me to this day.


Now with more education, people are able to recognize responsible ways to care for animals.  People can do things in their own neighborhoods to ensure the safety and care for animals.  Trying to help people get chickens and build chicken coops so they can have chickens is one way I help.  Taking dogs for walks who are tied up all day for walks is another.  No fee.  


Children are very open when talking about animals.  Perhaps I'll become the animal-talk lady and go around to schools teaching them animal traits and how to interact with pets.  They want to learn.  There was a boy over helping me in the back yard last spring and he smiled a radiant smile when he saw the chickens turn around and go into their little house at dusk when I said, "Time to go into your little house."  He had not known chickens understand human language.  That kind of a smile lets me know a light bulb went on in his brain.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 11:11AM #239
teilhard
Posts: 50,772

I agree ... Self-Righteous Sermonizing (Complaining) about what *OTHERS* are doing -- or NOT doing -- *Somewhere *Else* ... rings exceedingly HOLLOW ...


The Ways one actually LIVES one's OWN Life is "The REAL Deal" ... I agree ...


Apr 19, 2012 -- 10:25AM, christine3 wrote:


Apr 19, 2012 -- 7:48AM, teilhard wrote:


Well, a Sermon DOES tend to draw some Level of Response, yes ... ???


Apr 19, 2012 -- 1:21AM, solfeggio wrote:


Yes, I find it curious that some of the posters, notably mm, but also Jane and one or two others, continue to put their two cents into this particular thread again and again, day after day, whilst emphatically proclaiming all the while that this particular topic has absolutely no significance whatsoever.


What's that all about, huh?


 









Sermon perhaps, but I am happy to be on the side of the issue of people who are trying to do something about the problem of suffering.  I believe Gandhi was right when he said a society can be judged by how it treats its weakest citizens.  If he were here and were asked human or animal, I'm sure he'd say "both".  Because one is contingent upon the other.


There simply has to do be something to rectify the situation.  Human intelligence grows, consciousness is expanded when trying to figure these dilemmas out.  I once told a friend that 'animals teach us how to love'.  It is true on many levels.  We do learn how to love other ways of course.


When I was a child I had no business having a pet because I was not educated enough.  The pet suffered for it.  Our family went through dogs like donuts because our family was not educated enough to responsibly care for an animal.  This haunts me to this day.


Now with more education, people are able to recognize responsible ways to care for animals.  People can do things in their own neighborhoods to ensure the safety and care for animals.  Trying to help people get chickens and build chicken coops so they can have chickens is one way I help.  Taking dogs for walks who are tied up all day for walks is another.  No fee.  


Children are very open when talking about animals.  Perhaps I'll become the animal-talk lady and go around to schools teaching them animal traits and how to interact with pets.  They want to learn.  There was a boy over helping me in the back yard last spring and he smiled a radiant smile when he saw the chickens turn around and go into their little house at dusk when I said, "Time to go into your little house."  He had not known chickens understand human language.  That kind of a smile lets me know a light bulb went on in his brain.





Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 11:17AM #240
mountain_man
Posts: 39,105

Apr 19, 2012 -- 1:21AM, solfeggio wrote:

What's that all about, huh?


This is a discussion forum, not a worship you forum.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 24 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 94 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook