2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 11:25PM #11
rabello

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

(and it wasn't Nurse Ratchitt)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 12:06AM #12
solfeggio

Hordes of people in the world demand meat in their diets every day.

The fact that each year something like 56 billion animals are killed in the world by the meat, dairy, and egg industries means nothing to these people. 

How sad.

www.abolitionistapproach.com/media/pdf/2...

All beings are fond of life,

like pleasure,

hate pain,

shun destruction,

long to live.

To all life is dear.

Acharanga Sutra (Jain)

Moderated by Merope on Apr 14, 2012 - 02:41AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 12:08AM #13
christine3

Apr 13, 2012 -- 10:38PM, jane2 wrote:

christine

Did you stop to think that much of which mm presents obtains?

I said nothing about you...I was talking about MM.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 14, 2012 - 03:01AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 12:22AM #14
christine3
Ken:  What we'r seeing here is, in my opinion, some anthropomorphism.

What we're seeing here is, in my opinion, progress.  Women got to vote in 1918.  It's mostly women who are more naturally the caregivers of the planet will see to it that animals are treated fairly because now we don't have to suppress ourselves about what we think and feel about injustices anymore.  But Rabello is a dear. 

Ken:  Anyway, like mountainman, I'll say if that cow ran onto my land it might end up filling my freezer with good things to eat from pats o it, and some excellent, new leather for oher uses.  A cow running away rom a slaughterhouse, or a pig, or chicken or turkey, is simply making its meat more lean.

Sarcasm will get you nowhere.  That's a callous thing to say anyway.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 12:38AM #15
solfeggio

The remark was not just callous, but stupefyingly ignorant.

There is no doubt whatsoever that mammals not only feel pain, but that they can sense fear in others of their kind and react to it. 

As for trying to imagine a cow's feelings as anthomorphism, so what?  What's so wrong about assigning human emotions and even behaviour to other creatures?  Animals are just as capable of feeling, love, loss, happiness, and other emotions as humans.

How much do we really know about all the forms of animal communication and how animal brains work?

Anthropomorphic assumptions are valid simply because we humans are made of the same 'stuff' as every other living thing.

Anthropomorphism is just admitting that we have commonalities with the animal world.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 12:57AM #16
christine3

I have put myself equal with animals and that is why I feel for them.  In my lifetime I will see great progress where humanity's feelings are concerned.  Everyday I see progress, more feeling, more emotion, and therefore more understanding!! Mahatma Gandhi said "You can judge a society by how they treat their weakest members."

Moderated by Merope on Apr 14, 2012 - 03:04AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 1:14AM #17
rabello

Apr 14, 2012 -- 12:57AM, christine3 wrote:

I have put myself equal with animals and that is why I feel for them.  In my lifetime I will see great progress where humanity's feelings are concerned.  Everyday I see progress, more feeling, more emotion, and therefore more understanding!! Mahatma Gandhi said "You can judge a society by how they treat their weakest members."

The bottom line is that some people just don't care.  There's nothing wrong with being happy/relieved that one cow escaped inhumane slaughter, or posting about it.  And keep in mind: BBQ isn't good for people. 

Moderated by Merope on Apr 14, 2012 - 03:05AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 1:28AM #18
christine3

Apr 14, 2012 -- 1:14AM, rabello wrote:

Apr 14, 2012 -- 12:57AM, christine3 wrote:

The bottom line is that some people just don't care.  There's nothing wrong with being/relieved that happy one cow escaped inhumane slaughter, or posting about it.

I have seen that a few others escaped also.  If I were younger I would join those people that free animals.  They should feel proud.  They have helped to change things on this planet.  So has Greenpeace.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 14, 2012 - 03:06AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 1:43AM #19
christine3

Mooooooooove ahead to great new animal discoveries!  Find ways that animals communicate with us and help us!  They are NOT just for EATING!! The more humans appreciate the exquisite and unique diversity on this planet, the more intelligent humans become.

thecollegianur.com/2010/09/09/animal-int...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 3:10AM #20
Merope

Several posts have been removed without notice and several others edited, due to thread derailment caused by personal insults.

Let's just return to the cows and refrain from attempting to verbally slaughter each other.

Many thanks,
Merope Kiss

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 94  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 94 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook