Post Reply
Page 19 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 94 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cow Flees Slaughterhouse
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 8:21AM #181
christine3
Posts: 7,634

Apr 17, 2012 -- 11:27PM, jane2 wrote:


Apr 17, 2012 -- 10:23PM, christine3 wrote:


Apr 17, 2012 -- 10:16PM, jane2 wrote:


christine


You never answer a reasonable reply.





I think I do.




I don't think so. I presented my outlook in moral theology and philosophy and you ignored it even though many of you say you seek a more philosophical discussion--only if you agree. 




You said that you were encouraged to find the best of yourself through the teachings of high dimensional understanding (paraphrased).  That was a statement.  You also put me down by saying that you doubted I'd studied Thomas Merton.  What am I supposed to discuss with.  I'm glad you have studied Thomas Merton and high dimensional understanding.  We have comparable background.




Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 9:06AM #182
christine3
Posts: 7,634

Apr 18, 2012 -- 12:33AM, mountain_man wrote:


Apr 17, 2012 -- 10:52PM, solfeggio wrote:

I agree with you, Christine.  To make jokes about the very real terror that a cow must feel knowing she is about to have her throat slit is not just disgusting but nauseating.....


No, what is nauseating are the highly emotional, and blatantly false, claims like the one above. Most slaughter houses do not slit the throat to kill the animal. They use a pneumatic captive bolt gun" that stuns the animal. The animal has no idea, nor is capable of the concept, of what is about to happen. So, leave out the supercilious and emotional arguments. They just make you look bad and, as you can see, do nothing to further your cause.





MM, you are misinformed.  All animals know death is imminent when they hear shrieks of pain, and smell blood and fear.  Her claims are not false.  


You can't come up with information that refutes what is being said by animal rights activists because there is none.  


If you have a problem with emotions just admit it to yourself rather than finding something wrong with somebody else who allows emotions to inform them.  


"The animal has no idea, nor is capable of the concept, of what is about to happen."  WRONG!    Telling a person their "supercilious emotional responses make them look bad..."  WRONG!  


For readers who are really interested in learning about the brain and emotions of animals, here is an article by Temple Grandin.  


www.grandin.com/inc/animals.make.us.huma...


Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 9:12AM #183
christine3
Posts: 7,634

Apr 18, 2012 -- 12:28AM, mountain_man wrote:


Apr 17, 2012 -- 10:04PM, christine3 wrote:

You say things that are demonstrably untrue about me time and time again.


What I have said is true as I have demonstrated it to be. That you cannot understand that doesn't make what I said to be untrue.




Untrue.  I bring research to demonstrate, you bring denials and criticisms of peoples emotions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 10:05AM #184
teilhard
Posts: 51,822

I don't think we actually KNOW what that Cow was "thinking" when (s)he ran away ...


Apr 18, 2012 -- 1:32AM, solfeggio wrote:


Say what you will to try to defend the practise of cow-killing, but the fact is that the cow ran away because she was scared.  And she was scared because, unlike humans, she has senses that told her others before her were being killed.


As far as bolt guns and other methods of 'stunning' are concerned, they don't always work, and there have been many reported instances in which animals were not dead when they had their throats slit or their stomachs cut open, or even when their hides were being torn off.


Raising animals for food is a barbaric practise, and the fact that so many people have no problems with it shows just how brutal and savagely cruel the average person is today. 





Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 10:17AM #185
christine3
Posts: 7,634


I don't think we actually KNOW what that Cow was "thinking" when (s)he ran away ...[/quote]



Of course we know what the cow was thinking.  Why put " " around the word thinking?  The cow was thinking it needed to get away from being killed.



Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 10:27AM #186
christine3
Posts: 7,634

www.komonews.com/news/national/Forest-Se... Articles like this spread the idea that animals are stupid.  People freeze in their vehicles out in remote areas by being trapped by snow storms and freeze in their homes without adequate heat.  People are no more or less stupid than these animals, just unfortunate in getting trapped by a snow storm.  


They talk about not wanting to contaminate the ground water and then talk about blowing them up.  Sounds like a way to keep busy and therefore employed to me.  Wild animals would take care of the carcass problem.  


Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 11:22AM #187
mountain_man
Posts: 40,190

Apr 18, 2012 -- 1:32AM, solfeggio wrote:

Say what you will to try to defend the practise of cow-killing, but the fact is that the cow ran away because she was scared.


The cow ran away because it could. It only knew it did not want to be where it was. It had no idea why.


And she was scared because, unlike humans, she has senses that told her others before her were being killed.


No, she could not.


As far as bolt guns and other methods of 'stunning' are concerned...


The world is not perfect. Deal with it.


Raising animals for food is a barbaric practise....


That's your biased opinion.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 11:23AM #188
mountain_man
Posts: 40,190

Apr 18, 2012 -- 9:06AM, christine3 wrote:

MM, you are misinformed. ...


Yes, I am misinformed on the propaganda you are pumping out. I am informed on the facts, facts you seem to ignore.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 11:27AM #189
mountain_man
Posts: 40,190

Apr 18, 2012 -- 10:27AM, christine3 wrote:

Articles like this spread the idea that animals are stupid. ...


No, it shows that some people cannot think above an emotional level and are incapable of thinking things through.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 11:44AM #190
christine3
Posts: 7,634

Apr 18, 2012 -- 11:22AM, mountain_man wrote:

The cow ran away because it could. It only knew it did not want to be where it was. It had no idea why.



I heard the same thing when I was growing up.  Indoctrination.  Why didn't you get over it?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 19 of 94  •  Prev 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 94 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook