Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
3 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 9:27PM #11
teilhard

Yes ... Powerful long-range Missiles are a "Dual Use" Technology ...

MANY Nations are worried about North Korea loading-up "Nukes" on a Missile or two ...

Apr 11, 2012 -- 1:13PM, Marcion wrote:

From the early days of space exploration it was decreed that space was open to all nations.

If North Korea plans to launch a weather satellite as they are claiming, why the pucker factor by other nations. Who has the authority to block the peaceful use of space?

www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/11/us-ko...

Please don't give me the old bullshit about potential military use; the US launcehed most of its early satellites using military rockets. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 10:15PM #12
rangerken

Who owns space????... that's an easy question to answer. Just like anything and everything else. Space is 'owned' by whoever has the ability, power, and willingness to use that power to control it.

It is...as with so much more...not the least bit complicated.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 11:02PM #13
jane2

Apr 11, 2012 -- 10:15PM, rangerken wrote:

Who owns space????... that's an easy question to answer. Just like anything and everything else. Space is 'owned' by whoever has the ability, power, and willingness to use that power to control it.

Ken

Indeed..............................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 11:20PM #14
teilhard

Well, yes and no ... There ARE International Treaties that govern Objects-placed-into-Orbit, etc., just as Activities and Claims on Earth-bound "Antarctica" are regulated ...

As of yet, North Korea is NOT -- as I understand -- a Signatory to Space Law Agreeements, hence some of the current Concerns ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 1:29AM #15
rangerken

Apr 11, 2012 -- 11:20PM, teilhard wrote:

Well, yes and no ... There ARE International Treaties that govern Objects-placed-into-Orbit, etc., just as Activities and Claims on Earth-bound "Antarctica" are regulated ...

As of yet, North Korea is NOT -- as I understand -- a Signatory to Space Law Agreeements, hence some of the current Concerns ...

Quite right, Teilhard. And the question is first, is it in our best interests for North Korea to have the capability of using space. And second, if it is not, do we have the ability to deny them the use of space. And third, if we have the ability, will we use that ability?

International aggreements are fine, as long as all signatories abide by them. Then there is, again, the question of what do about those who are not signatories. I freely admit that I look at all of this with the mindset of the professional soldier I was for thirty years, which no doubt puts me at odds with some here.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 5:05AM #16
Ebon

Apr 12, 2012 -- 1:29AM, rangerken wrote:

is it in our best interests for North Korea to have the capability of using space.

Open to question. The problem seems to be that if North Korea has the capacity to launch sattelites (and I question how they could afford that), then what else might they have the capacity to launch?

And second, if it is not, do we have the ability to deny them the use of space.

Legally, no. Under the various treaties and international laws governing space, satelites and so on, anyone who can launch a satelite has the right to do so providing that A) it's for peaceful purposes and B) it isn't going to knock anyone else's satelite out of the sky. Now, that's the legal area. On the practical side, I'm sure the US has the capability to destroy North Korea's satelite before it ever gets off the ground.

And third, if we have the ability, will we use that ability?

I really hope not. Partly because North Korea would be quite right to treat that as an act of war and also because the SF fan in me would like to hope that space is big enough for all of us. The USA has no more right to control space than any other nation.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 7:50AM #17
teilhard

North Korea is just plain simply WIERD ... and a "Pariah" State ... and therefore PARANOID ... and so, DANGEROUS ... 

Who knows what to do with such a Country ... ???

Apr 12, 2012 -- 1:29AM, rangerken wrote:

Apr 11, 2012 -- 11:20PM, teilhard wrote:

Quite right, Teilhard. And the question is first, is it in our best interests for North Korea to have the capability of using space. And second, if it is not, do we have the ability to deny them the use of space. And third, if we have the ability, will we use that ability?

International aggreements are fine, as long as all signatories abide by them. Then there is, again, the question of what do about those who are not signatories. I freely admit that I look at all of this with the mindset of the professional soldier I was for thirty years, which no doubt puts me at odds with some here.

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 8:15AM #18
arielg

If it is 100% military where does NASA fit into your equation. I spent over twenty years in space research and don't agree with your conclusion; was Apollo 100% military

Yes, it was all part of the military.  If you don't like 100% make it 99%.  The science is just a way to achieve results.  Most scientific discoveries are  developped for military use  first.  Then, when  something better is developped, they allow the prior discoveries  for civilian use and further development.  Soon, we will see flying saucers for civilian use. (99%  kidding)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 8:50AM #19
Marcion

Apr 11, 2012 -- 10:15PM, rangerken wrote:

Ken

No kidding, thats why we have Space Policy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 10:33AM #20
farragut

Ah, but we have no Space Police.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook