Switch to Forum Live View Teacher Fired over Trayvon Martin fundraiser
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 6:48PM #31
Cesmom

Apr 11, 2012 -- 6:42PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Apr 11, 2012 -- 6:39PM, Cesmom wrote:

Apr 11, 2012 -- 5:40PM, Marcion wrote:

Apr 11, 2012 -- 4:49PM, Cesmom wrote:

Apr 11, 2012 -- 4:40PM, Marcion wrote:

She deserved to be fired.If she waited until there was a ruling by the special prosecutor then it would be proper to collect funds for the family. She jumped the gun and took sides on an unresolved issue thereby biasing the opinions of her students.

You are kidding, right?  

Here's something that's resolved...a kid is dead....his family is grieving...it's commendable for these students to want to do something to support that family.

She wasn't staging an 'anti-George Zimmerman' rally for God's sake.  

Are you suggesting that there is "a side" that would prohibit someone from fundraising for a victim's family.  Are you suggesting that, short of a ruling by a special prosecutor, Trayvon Martin and his family should not be considered victims???

Ridiculous.

She doesn't need to bias anyone's opinion.  Anyone who's heart does not go out to this family is a heartless bastard.  If she wants to encourage her students to not be heartless bastards, more power to her.  There were no grounds for her to be disciplined in the first place, much less fired.

Don't let emotion cloud reason. Any lawyer who gets emotionally involved in a clients case usually ends up losing.

Okay, whatever, I'd make a piss poor lawyer then.  Any parent who can read about this case and not feel emotionally involved would surprise the hell out of me.  You don't even have to think George Zimmerman is guilty in order to feel emotionally involved.  You just have to feel for senseless loss that the Martin family is experiencing.  These kids felt for it, and wanted to do something to help.  Their teacher got fired for wanting to help them do it.

I'm the parent of five -- including three teens.

I've never tried to use that as an exuse for throwing rationality out the window. 

I've never thrown rationality out the window, so I wouldn't use it as an excuse for that either.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 6:53PM #32
mytmouse57

Apr 11, 2012 -- 6:48PM, Cesmom wrote:

She deserved to be fired.If she waited until there was a ruling by the special prosecutor then it would be proper to collect funds for the family. She jumped the gun and took sides on an unresolved issue thereby biasing the opinions of her students.

You are kidding, right?  

Here's something that's resolved...a kid is dead....his family is grieving...it's commendable for these students to want to do something to support that family.

Are you suggesting that there is "a side" that would prohibit someone from fundraising for a victim's family.  Are you suggesting that, short of a ruling by a special prosecutor, Trayvon Martin and his family should not be considered victims???

Ridiculous.

She doesn't need to bias anyone's opinion.  Anyone who's heart does not go out to this family is a heartless bastard.  If she wants to encourage her students to not be heartless bastards, more power to her.  There were no grounds for her to be disciplined in the first place, much less fired.

Don't let emotion cloud reason. Any lawyer who gets emotionally involved in a clients case usually ends up losing.

Okay, whatever, I'd make a piss poor lawyer then.  Any parent who can read about this case and not feel emotionally involved would surprise the hell out of me.  You don't even have to think George Zimmerman is guilty in order to feel emotionally involved.  You just have to feel for senseless loss that the Martin family is experiencing.  These kids felt for it, and wanted to do something to help.  Their teacher got fired for wanting to help them do it.

I've never tried to use that as an exuse for throwing rationality out the window. 

I've never thrown rationality out the window, so I wouldn't use it as an excuse for that either.

Depends upon the posistion one is in. An attorney or journalist should not get emotionally involved. And really, in all fairness, it really should not drive our impression of cases like this. 

I don't know any of the people involved personally. For me, it raises issues that need to be considered from a detached point of view. Such as, what are the reasonable parameters of self-defense.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 7:31PM #33
Cesmom

Apr 11, 2012 -- 6:53PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Apr 11, 2012 -- 6:48PM, Cesmom wrote:

You are kidding, right?  

Ridiculous.

Depends upon the posistion one is in. An attorney or journalist should not get emotionally involved. And really, in all fairness, it really should not drive our impression of cases like this. 

I don't know any of the people involved personally. For me, it raises issues that need to be considered from a detached point of view. Such as, what are the reasonable parameters of self-defense.

My compassion for this family, and the compassion this 8th grade class feels, have nothing to do with what the reasonable parameters of self defense are.  I don't believe that Zimerman's actions were justified, but even if I did, it wouldn't change my compassion for this family.  As I said before, any parent who can hear about the senseless death of someone else's child and not feel the least bit emotionally involved truly surprises me.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 2:55PM #34
Unworthyone

According to the article, it was the kids who suggested the fundraiser, not the teacher.  She just wanted to turn this incident into a writing asignment, which she probably intended to take off points for spelling and grammar.  The teacher sought permission on the behalf of her students, and it was denied.  She accepted that, and was guiding the students to come up with alternatives.  Now she is being punished.  What is the message this principal is sending to these young minds?

"You do as your told, don't make waves.  We don't give a damn what you are passionate about. Now shut up and sit down."

Personally, I'd like each one of these students to write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper, saying how they felt about their teacher getting canned for doing her job.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

Here's the difference between a capitalist society and a communist society:  Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's the other way around.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 9:22AM #35
arielg

Apr 17, 2012 -- 2:55PM, Unworthyone wrote:

According to the article, it was the kids who suggested the fundraiser, not the teacher.  She just wanted to turn this incident into a writing asignment, which she probably intended to take off points for spelling and grammar.  The teacher sought permission on the behalf of her students, and it was denied.  She accepted that, and was guiding the students to come up with alternatives.  Now she is being punished.  What is the message this principal is sending to these young minds?

"You do as your told, don't make waves.  We don't give a damn what you are passionate about. Now shut up and sit down."

Personally, I'd like each one of these students to write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper, saying how they felt about their teacher getting canned for doing her job.

So, what is the "message"you want to send? Don't give a damn about rules and just do whatever you want to do?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 9:36AM #36
Girlchristian

She got suspended for the fundraiser issue. She got 'canned' for then coming on to school property while suspended, which is against the rules.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 10:23AM #37
Unworthyone

Apr 18, 2012 -- 9:22AM, arielg wrote:

So, what is the "message"you want to send? Don't give a damn about rules and just do whatever you want to do?

My research indicates there was a major personality conflict between the teacher and the super who fired her.  She was first suspended for two days because she dared to challenge the super (in private, in her office).  She was then suspended for a additional two weeks for bringing some paraphernalia on campus, totally unrelated to the Martin situation.  When she expressed her 'uppity' attitude with the super again (in private) she was fired.

This teacher was never given any due process, or any appeal opportunity.

And here is the kicker:  We are not talking about some borderline deadwood burnt out teacher.  She was "TEACHER OF THE YEAR" at that school the previous two years!

Yeah, let's get rid of THAT teacher!  Let's make an example of her!

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

Here's the difference between a capitalist society and a communist society:  Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's the other way around.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 10:29AM #38
Cesmom

Apr 18, 2012 -- 9:36AM, Girlchristian wrote:

She got suspended for the fundraiser issue. She got 'canned' for then coming on to school property while suspended, which is against the rules.

She got suspended for a reason that was completely unjust and unreasonable.  She got fired because someone was looking for a reason to fire her.  Although it may have been 'technically' acceptable to fire her over stepping on school property after being told not to, it certainly wasn't right.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 10:41AM #39
Girlchristian

Apr 18, 2012 -- 10:29AM, Cesmom wrote:

Apr 18, 2012 -- 9:36AM, Girlchristian wrote:

She got suspended for a reason that was completely unjust and unreasonable.  She got fired because someone was looking for a reason to fire her.  Although it may have been 'technically' acceptable to fire her over stepping on school property after being told not to, it certainly wasn't right.

Not saying it's right, but if you've been suspended even for a bogus reason you don't then break the rules and expect to keep your job. She handed them a reason to fire her, which, IMO, was stupid. She should have fought the suspension through the right hierarchy and not broken any rules during that time.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 11:03AM #40
Unworthyone

There are those who cannot, under any circumstances, tolerate having their authority challenged. And that is just too bad.

I've always looked at it this way: When someone is fired, it is a failure every time.  It was either a failure to hire the right person for the job, a failure to effectively train the hire, a failure to get the hire to buy into the culture, a failure to establish and maintain a relationship with the hire so that unacceptable behavior can be modified, or a complete breakdown of respect and/or trust.

When you fire Teacher of the Year, that says failure in spades.

Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook