Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View This just is not right.....
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 12:58PM #1
mountain_man
Posts: 39,667
Here's the story.

Someone says something nice about Castro and they get suspended? A "community" is offended! If a community is offended by someone saying something nice about someone, then they need to be offended more often.

Ozzie Guillen, or any other American or human on this planet, should be able to say what they want without fear of reprisal from some overly sensitive crybabies.

Although McCarthy would be proud of them.

Castro is no saint, but being punished for saying something nice about him is just un-American. It shows that they don't really get what this country is supposed to be about.
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 1:07PM #2
mainecaptain
Posts: 21,786

Apr 10, 2012 -- 12:58PM, mountain_man wrote:

Here's the story.

Someone says something nice about Castro and they get suspended? A "community" is offended! If a community is offended by someone saying something nice about someone, then they need to be offended more often.

Ozzie Guillen, or any other American or human on this planet, should be able to say what they want without fear of reprisal from some overly sensitive crybabies.

Although McCarthy would be proud of them.

Castro is no saint, but being punished for saying something nice about him is just un-American. It shows that they don't really get what this country is supposed to be about.




McCarthy would be proud. And this country is no longer what it was intended to be. I don't know it ever was, but it certainly is not any more.


Very sad.


It has become a country of crybabies.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 1:16PM #3
rabello
Posts: 21,658

Apr 10, 2012 -- 1:07PM, mainecaptain wrote:


McCarthy would be proud. And this country is no longer what it was intended to be. I don't know it ever was, but it certainly is not any more.


Very sad.


It has become a country of crybabies.




Crybabies....with guns

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 1:45PM #4
Erey
Posts: 18,940

I agree with the sentiment expressed here. 


First, I think anyone who truly praises Castro is dumb.  This guy did it in a failed tounge and cheek manner which was rather clumsy.


However there is no real freedom of speech.  I do believe in freedom of speech and the law of natural consequences.  This guy deserved to be booed I guess or something along those lines but why take it so far? Why destroy someone just because they say something stupid?  I can see not taking them seriously, but this career ending nonsense is over the top. 


It is not the government stealing our freedom of speech as much as it is law suits, terrorism, etc, corporate control, etc. 


You can get away with trashing the president or insulting the senator but say one thing positive about Castro and you are finished. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 2:26PM #5
Girlchristian
Posts: 11,384

Apr 10, 2012 -- 1:45PM, Erey wrote:


I agree with the sentiment expressed here. 


First, I think anyone who truly praises Castro is dumb.  This guy did it in a failed tounge and cheek manner which was rather clumsy.


I agree that it was dumb, but I think some are over-reacting. He has a point when he says stuff like this about Castro (another comment he's made about Castro):


When asked, "Who's the toughest man you know," Guillen named Castro.


He said, "He's a bull ... dictator and everybody's against him and he still survives, has power. ... I don't admire his philosophy, I admire him."


However there is no real freedom of speech.  I do believe in freedom of speech and the law of natural consequences.  This guy deserved to be booed I guess or something along those lines but why take it so far? Why destroy someone just because they say something stupid?  I can see not taking them seriously, but this career ending nonsense is over the top. 


Unfortunately, we don't really have free speech when we're in a prominent position and say something that can hurt the business we work for.


It is not the government stealing our freedom of speech as much as it is law suits, terrorism, etc, corporate control, etc. 


You can get away with trashing the president or insulting the senator but say one thing positive about Castro and you are finished. 





"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 2:50PM #6
mytmouse57
Posts: 9,782

Apr 10, 2012 -- 1:16PM, rabello wrote:


Apr 10, 2012 -- 1:07PM, mainecaptain wrote:


McCarthy would be proud. And this country is no longer what it was intended to be. I don't know it ever was, but it certainly is not any more.


Very sad.


It has become a country of crybabies.




Crybabies....with guns




Right now, I'm busy wiping my tears, before they have a chance to fall on to my Kalashnikov and possibly rust it. Wink


Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 5:31PM #7
arielg
Posts: 9,116

Hilarious.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 9:24PM #8
TemplarS
Posts: 6,865

This is not really about free speech.  What Mr. Guillen said, and the reactions, were the actions of private individuals and private corporations.  If someone says something offensive to the majority of the customers of the business he works for, he can expect management to react accordingly.


That being said, the reaction on the part of both customers and management was preposterous.  It is evident to me that a goodly number of Miami Cubans are plain nuts. These people sit in expectation of moving back and taking over Havana lock stock and barrel once the Communists fall.  It's been, like, 50 years.  Get over it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 10:14PM #9
mountain_man
Posts: 39,667

Apr 10, 2012 -- 9:24PM, TemplarS wrote:

This is not really about free speech.  What Mr. Guillen said, and the reactions, were the actions of private individuals and private corporations.  If someone says something offensive to the majority of the customers of the business he works for, he can expect management to react accordingly.


Of course you're right. The government, so far, is not involved in this so it is not a "free speech" issue.


That being said, the reaction on the part of both customers and management was preposterous.  It is evident to me that a goodly number of Miami Cubans are plain nuts. These people sit in expectation of moving back and taking over Havana lock stock and barrel once the Communists fall.  It's been, like, 50 years.  Get over it.


The reaction has been, as you say, preposterous. These Cubans come here for the freedom yet whine when someone exercises that freedom. They even feel they have the right to dictate our foreign policy. They send a lot of money to congresspersons, vote as a bloc, and expect their hatred to be appeased.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 10:53PM #10
jane2
Posts: 14,295

Apr 10, 2012 -- 10:14PM, mountain_man wrote:


Apr 10, 2012 -- 9:24PM, TemplarS wrote:

This is not really about free speech.  What Mr. Guillen said, and the reactions, were the actions of private individuals and private corporations.  If someone says something offensive to the majority of the customers of the business he works for, he can expect management to react accordingly.


Of course you're right. The government, so far, is not involved in this so it is not a "free speech" issue.


That being said, the reaction on the part of both customers and management was preposterous.  It is evident to me that a goodly number of Miami Cubans are plain nuts. These people sit in expectation of moving back and taking over Havana lock stock and barrel once the Communists fall.  It's been, like, 50 years.  Get over it.


The reaction has been, as you say, preposterous. These Cubans come here for the freedom yet whine when someone exercises that freedom. They even feel they have the right to dictate our foreign policy. They send a lot of money to congresspersons, vote as a bloc, and expect their hatred to be appeased.




Neat posts, Templar and mm..................




 

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook