Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why we call it Faux Noise
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 10:40AM #1
MysticWanderer
Here is an interesting if somewhat long piece documenting the problems of any one sided "news network" and the issues of those who gravitate to single news sourcing.  It is not only misinformation, it is willfully pursued misinformation.

www.alternet.org/story/154875/the_scienc...
"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 10:57AM #2
mytmouse57

In the buffet of information, Fux News occupies the cotton candy section. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 7:53PM #3
REteach

sigh.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 8:05PM #4
mainecaptain

Apr 9, 2012 -- 7:53PM, REteach wrote:

sigh.

Yup.....

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 11:16PM #5
solfeggio

Yeah, well, faux news may be the most distrusted news channel around, but it is also one of the most popular.  So, they're saying something that a lot of people want to hear.

Various studies have shown that people who watch Fox news are generally of a right-wing persuasion.

Gee, what a surprise.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 12:22AM #6
Erey

another thread started by liberal people designed to express judgemenet, hatred and vitrol against people that dare think differently

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 8:10AM #7
MysticWanderer

Apr 10, 2012 -- 12:22AM, Erey wrote:

another thread started by liberal people designed to express judgemenet, hatred and vitrol against people that dare think differently

Did you bother reading the article.   While it was critical of Fox it also pointed out its popularity and a phenomenon called the Dunning Kerr phenomenon which states that people will more likely believe those items of news or science that agree with their current notions rather  than those that can be proven accurate.  It goes on on both sides but those who are authoritarian are more likely to even watch only that which agrees with their own view point.  The fact is I am  not all that liberal but I watch or read four news services including ether the BBC or Al Jezeera.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 10:06AM #8
mytmouse57

Apr 10, 2012 -- 12:22AM, Erey wrote:

I'm not particularly liberal -- at least not in the current sense of the term. 

But I still thinks Fux News is mostly empty air.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 2:23PM #9
mainecaptain

Apr 9, 2012 -- 11:16PM, solfeggio wrote:

Yeah, well, faux news may be the most distrusted news channel around, but it is also one of the most popular.  So, they're saying something that a lot of people want to hear.

Various studies have shown that people who watch Fox news are generally of a right-wing persuasion.

Gee, what a surprise.

Right wing and less informed. More ignorant.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 7:12PM #10
IreneAdler

Most interesting read! Explains alot regarding someone I know.

From article: “if you’re confidently wrong, you’re influencing people.”

Yep.  Many times, one of the guys at the Laundromat tells me about some news story and he gets all irate about it.  From what he tells me, it sounds almost implausible.  But he insists every word is true- nothing omitted. Gets rather in my face over the certainty of his facts.

Example: he actually told me the jive about the Koran containing statements directing Moslems to kill non-Moslems.  I trotted in my Koran and read from it to prove otherwise. This one he conceded.

Example: Recently he got all upset over Barbara Boxer’s bill (Senate Bill 1813) that will revoke passports from anyone who owes the IRS more than $50K.  He owes IRS and likes to go to TJ at times.  Need a passport for that.  I asked if there was any qualifier circumstances here- like non-payment of taxes or risk of flight. He was adamant this was not the case. "They are taking away our freedoms!"

So I looked up the bill itself (which BTW has been approved by the Senate). Bill says if one owes over $50K and hasn’t made arrangements with the IRS to repay this debt- then the option of revoking passport can occur. Exceptions made for humanitarian reasons.

FYI:The first paragraph of article mentions Chris Wallace of Fox - son of Mike Wallace. (!)

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook