Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Why we call it Faux Noise
3 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 3:34PM #21
DotNotInOz

I still cringe at the fact that the local Fox station does a whole lot more comprehensive and professional job of covering local news than the other network affiliates. Their traffic watch updates are more timely and thorough, too.

I don't watch national or world news on Fox so no worries here about its deficiencies, deliberate or otherwise.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 9:17PM #22
rangerken

Apr 19, 2012 -- 3:34PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I still cringe at the fact that the local Fox station does a whole lot more comprehensive and professional job of covering local news than the other network affiliates. Their traffic watch updates are more timely and thorough, too.

I don't watch national or world news on Fox so no worries here about its deficiencies, deliberate or otherwise.

Because Fox has more viewers Fox can command higher advertising prices. Because Fox gets those Fox can afford to do more proessional work at all levels. Capitalism works!

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 11:16PM #23
solfeggio

The one or two times I have stumbled onto Fox news whilst channel surfing, I've had the misfortune of seeing those right-wing nutjobs O'Reilly and Hannity, and the truly creepy Krauthammer once, which was enough to make me switch to another channel as fast as I could.

Fox is cable channel 92 here, with BBC 93.  And switching from 92 to 93 is a study in contrasts, from loud fascist idiots to intelligent, thoughtful news readers talking in normal voices about real news.

What continually mystifies me is why Fox is so popular.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 11:21PM #24
DotNotInOz

Apr 19, 2012 -- 9:17PM, rangerken wrote:

Apr 19, 2012 -- 3:34PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Because Fox has more viewers Fox can command higher advertising prices. Because Fox gets those Fox can afford to do more proessional work at all levels. Capitalism works!

Ken

I'm not sure that more affluent advertisers has that much to do with it where we now live.

Fox local news where we used to live was pathetic in both coverage and professionalism.

I'm guessing it's more likely an HR person and news director who managed to assemble a quality news crew from reporters to anchors. Sure, the money to do that would be a factor but wouldn't count for much if the people hiring couldn't readily identify talent. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook