3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 6:45PM #1
solfeggio

Matt Damon is soon to begin work on an anti-fracking film entitled 'The Promised Land.'

www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/74884...

If you live in or near Pittsburgh, you might be able to get work as an extra on the film, which will have a plot revolving around the controversial practise of hydraulyic fracturing.   

www.oilgasmonitor.com/top-environmental-...

There are serious risks associated with fracking, which not only generates radiation-laced toxic waste water, but which can cause earthquakes.  

www.ewg.org/analysis/usgs-recent-earthqu...

Drinking water wells near hydro-fracking sites have 17% more methane.  And various studies have shown that fracking contributes as much to global warming as coal.

www.desmogblog.com/fracking-gases-more-d...

Ten countries presently use fracking, and France was the first country, and Bulgaria the second, to ban it.

thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/07/06/261878...  

www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-19/bul...

It seems as if fracking is a very divisive issue amongst Americans these days.

Actor Mark Ruffalo has launched an anti-fracking campaign, and he asks its supporters to 'join in rejecting this dangerous bridge to nowhere and build a newable energy economy.

Sounds good to me.      

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:48PM #2
mountain_man

Apr 7, 2012 -- 6:45PM, solfeggio wrote:

Matt Damon is soon to begin work on an anti-fracking film entitled 'The Promised Land.'

I hope he does it right and leaves out the hype. The truth is that fracking can be done in an environmentally sensitive and responsible manner. It is usually done way below, thousands of feet below, any water table. The problem is what they are currently using as a fracking liquid. They claim it's a "proprietary secret." They do not have to disclose what the liquid is. Why? It's a stew of toxic chemicals that cost a lot of money to dispose of properly so they just inject it down a deep well and call it fracking.

Fracking can be done with just plain water or a special mud that is non toxic. At least that's what a geologist friend of mine told me.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 1:58AM #3
Stardove

I almost started a thread about earthquakes and fracking this morning after reading some news, but I got busy and changed computers.  Such is life!

New USGS Report Links Fracking and Earthquakes

The US Geological Survey (USGS) will be presenting a paper next month at the annual meeting of the Seismological Society of America in San Diego. The paper will directly link an “unprecedented” increase in frequency and magnitude of earthquakes to drilling for oil and gas.

This link is not a new one. The USGS already linked about 50 earthquakes in Oklahoma due to fracking. Their investigation found that the earthquakes had a magnitude ranging from 1.0 to 2.8. In January, a single earthquake of the magnitude of 4.0 was strong enough that it was felt in Toronto. The bulk of these occurred within 2.1 miles of Eola Field, a fracking operation in southern Garvin County.

From the report:

Our analysis showed that shortly after hydraulic fracturing began small earthquakes started occurring, and more than 50 were identified, of which 43 were large enough to be located. Most of these earthquakes occurred within a 24 hour period after hydraulic fracturing operations had ceased. There have been previous cases where seismologists have suggested a link between hydraulic fracturing and earthquakes, but data was limited, so drawing a definitive conclusion was not possible for these cases.

In April and May, two small earthquakes near Blackpool, in England also contributed to suspicions of a link between earthquakes and fracking. Finally, the company responsible,  Cuadrilla Resources, admitted that its shale fracking operations were indeed responsible.

The latest report from USGS states that:

In Oklahoma, the rate of M >= 3 events abruptly increased in 2009 from 1.2/year in the previous half-century to over 25/year. This rate increase is exclusive of the November 2011 M 5.6 earthquake and its aftershocks. A naturally-occurring rate change of this magnitude is unprecedented outside of volcanic settings or in the absence of a main shock, of which there were neither in this region.

Contined at link.

Oil and gas production linked to spike in Midwest earthquakes: study

Oil and gas production may explain a sharp increase in small earthquakes in the nation's midsection, a new study from the U.S. Geological Survey suggests.

The rate has jumped six-fold from the late 20th century through last year, the team reports, and the changes are "almost certainly man-made."
Outside experts were split in their opinions about the report, which is not yet published but is due to be presented at a meeting later this month.

The study said a relatively mild increase starting in 2001 comes from increased quake activity in a methane production area along the state line between Colorado and New Mexico. The increase began about the time that methane production began there, so there's a "clear possibility" of a link, says lead author William Ellsworth of the USGS.

The increase over the nation's midsection has gotten steeper since 2009, due to more quakes in a variety of oil and gas production areas, including some in Arkansas and Oklahoma, the researchers say.

Continued at link. 

We only have one planet, so I believe we need to be very careful how we treat her.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 11:04AM #4
mountain_man

Apr 8, 2012 -- 1:58AM, Stardove wrote:

.....The US Geological Survey (USGS) will be presenting a paper next month at the annual meeting of the Seismological Society of America in San Diego. The paper will directly link an “unprecedented” increase in frequency and magnitude of earthquakes to drilling for oil and gas....

These are small quakes and a large, damage causing, quake is unlikely. There is precedence though, in the early 1970's they tried to get rid of toxic wastes by injecting the stuff into very deep, I think over 10,000 feet, wells. They noticed small quakes, stopped injecting, the quakes stopped, they started again, so did the quakes, they stopped, so did the quakes. A direct correlation.

Instead of injecting poison into our Earth, we need to stop making the stuff. We have huge supplies of natural gas. We don't need to be doing this.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 12:08PM #5
arielg

Well, fracking is how they get the gas out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 12:18PM #6
mountain_man

Apr 8, 2012 -- 12:08PM, arielg wrote:

It is not necessary to do that for most of the gas wells in this country. They're just doing it to get rid of toxic waste.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 1:11PM #7
mytmouse57

Apr 8, 2012 -- 12:08PM, arielg wrote:

Grandpa got the gas out by playing "pull my finger" with us. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 12:01AM #8
Swim4fun

Fracking does no good for the Earth and we need a renewable energy economy. Cannot wait to watch this anti-fracking film " The Promised Land" which I believe would mean somthing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 9:08PM #9
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook