Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View What The Hell Is Happening In Michigan?
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 4:58PM #11
mainecaptain

Apr 8, 2012 -- 12:27AM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 7, 2012 -- 10:24PM, jane2 wrote:

....And I do wonder why anyone who is not a billionaire votes for them.......

I can't understand why any sane person would vote for any of them.

I can not undersatnd why any SANE person would either.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 5:55PM #12
jane2

Apr 8, 2012 -- 4:58PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Not all those with great wealth are misanthropes, but many are.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 6:04PM #13
mainecaptain

Apr 8, 2012 -- 5:55PM, jane2 wrote:

I agree. But what concerns me is how many everyday people, not rich, think in this selfish way. And do not think tey will be hurt by what is going on. By the time they realise how hurt they themselves will be it will be too late.

I really believe right wingers of all socio-economic backgrounds,  only vote their hate. Rarely voting what is best for everyone.  Obviously not all of them, but too many of them.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 7:03PM #14
mountain_man

Apr 8, 2012 -- 6:04PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I agree. But what concerns me is how many everyday people, not rich, think in this selfish way. And do not think they will be hurt by what is going on. By the time they realize how hurt they themselves will be it will be too late.

They're only doing what they believe they must do to remain part of the herd they selected. All their thoughts are being framed by those heading the Right Wing. They listen to Regressive propaganda on a daily basis and after awhile begin to unquestioningly believe. It's a mindset, a brain washing, that many just cannot break from.

I really believe right wingers of all socioeconomic backgrounds,  only vote their hate. Rarely voting what is best for everyone.  Obviously not all of them, but too many of them.

You have to go back to the philosophy behind the current Regressive leaders; Ayn Rand and Individualism. She did not believe in a "social contract" but in individuals. To her, and her followers, there is no society, but a collection of individuals and that each individual must seek what is best for them. Of course it's an absurd philosophy, but you can see it in everything the Republicans do.

A quote: An individualist is a man who says: “I will not run anyone’s life—nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule nor be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone—nor sacrifice anyone to myself.”

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 7:11PM #15
jane2

Apr 8, 2012 -- 6:04PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Apr 8, 2012 -- 5:55PM, jane2 wrote:

I agree. But what concerns me is how many everyday people, not rich, think in this selfish way. And do not think tey will be hurt by what is going on. By the time they realise how hurt they themselves will be it will be too late.

I really believe right wingers of all socio-economic backgrounds,  only vote their hate. Rarely voting what is best for everyone.  Obviously not all of them, but too many of them.

I'm on the same page as you, mc. Many also vote age-old pipe dreams handed down. I see it all around me where I live. A good friend, very conservative,  is 65, on Social Security and drives a school bus to make ends meet. I'm a proponent of reasonable social programs and I've been fully retired since I was 60--12 years ago.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook