Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View GOP Convention: Water Pistols Are a Threat, Actual Guns are OK
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 2:31PM #1
Stardove
I heard this from a friend last night and sure enough what he told me is correct.  It is a puzzle to me what could a person do with string over six inches long? 

Could the GOP actually do something to prevent guns at the GOP Convention?  Or is it a matter of not wanting not wanting to look like the GOP isn't for gun rights?

GOP Convention: Water Pistols Are a Threat, Actual Guns are OK

Florida’s lax gun laws, as written by the National Rifle Association, will mean that water pistols are banned during the August Republican National Convention. But the concealment of actual guns is fine.

Tampa’s Mayor has produced a list of items that will be considered security threats during the week-long event.

The list runs from air pistols to water pistols and also includes items such as masks, plastic or metal pipes, hair spray, mace, placards and string more than six inches long.

Guns will be banned from the security zone the Secret Service will set up around the convention site, but not immediately outside that perimeter. So protesters cannot wield a piece of wood larger than a ruler but they can carry a concealed handgun.

Permitted handguns will be allowed in RNC's 'clean zone'

TAMPA --

Hoping to head off violent protesters during the Republican National Convention, Mayor Bob Buckhorn has proposed a litany of items that will be considered security threats during the week-long event.

The list runs from air pistols to water pistols and also includes items such as masks, plastic or metal pipe and string more than six inches long.

Conspicuously absent from the list of potential weapons: Firearms.

That's because state law bans local governments from placing any restrictions on the carrying of guns in public spaces.
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 2:47PM #2
BDboy

Not the brightest idea....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 2:48PM #3
Ken

Apr 7, 2012 -- 2:31PM, Stardove wrote:

I heard this from a friend last night and sure enough what he told me is correct.  It is a puzzle to me what could a person do with string over six inches long? 

Strangulation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 3:19PM #4
TPaine

Could the GOP actually do something to prevent guns at the GOP Convention?  Or is it a matter of not wanting not wanting to look like the GOP isn't for gun rights?

GOP Convention: Water Pistols Are a Threat, Actual Guns are OK

Florida’s lax gun laws, as written by the National Rifle Association, will mean that water pistols are banned during the August Republican National Convention. But the concealment of actual guns is fine.

Tampa’s Mayor has produced a list of items that will be considered security threats during the week-long event.

The list runs from air pistols to water pistols and also includes items such as masks, plastic or metal pipes, hair spray, mace, placards and string more than six inches long.

Guns will be banned from the security zone the Secret Service will set up around the convention site, but not immediately outside that perimeter. So protesters cannot wield a piece of wood larger than a ruler but they can carry a concealed handgun.

Permitted handguns will be allowed in RNC's 'clean zone'

TAMPA --

Hoping to head off violent protesters during the Republican National Convention, Mayor Bob Buckhorn has proposed a litany of items that will be considered security threats during the week-long event.

The list runs from air pistols to water pistols and also includes items such as masks, plastic or metal pipe and string more than six inches long.

Conspicuously absent from the list of potential weapons: Firearms.

That's because state law bans local governments from placing any restrictions on the carrying of guns in public spaces.

I can understand the ban on water pistols. After all, Sarah Palin will be there and I remember what happened when Dorothy threw water on the Wicked Witch of the West. I guess they don't want to take a chance of having that repeated. I do wonder if people will be arrested in the RNC "Clean Zone" if their shoelaces are over 6 inches long.

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 4:19PM #5
Stardove

Good points Tpaine.  No tennis shoes allowed at the convention.

As to the string it would have to be some strong string to strangle someone.

No kite flying for sure! Tongue Out

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 5:42PM #6
rangerken

Regarding water pistols...I'm a chemist...and if I do say so myelf a very good one specializing in analytical inorganic chemistry. And I know of literally dozens of things that could be put inside a water pistol that if 'fired' into a person's face could cause death or blindness...and most I could make in my basement withOUT sophisticated lab equipment, and using only materials easily, and legally bought in supermarkets or hardware stores.

So while a water pistol ban may sound silly, it actually makes sense.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 6:09PM #7
solfeggio

Don't squirt guns have 2nd Amendment protection?

But, of course, why shouldn't the NRA get whatever it wants from the Florida Legislature.  After all, when the NRA speaks, the Florida Republicans genuflect.

And, people with concealed weapons permits can bring their firearms into the Florida State Fair, can't they?

But Tampa City Attorney Jim Shimberg admitted that 'if we'd tried to regulate guns, it wouldn't have worked.'

Hey, why not have all the delegates carry their guns into the convention?  Then there would be a level playing field.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 7:40PM #8
jane2

Apr 7, 2012 -- 6:09PM, solfeggio wrote:

Don't squirt guns have 2nd Amendment protection?

But, of course, why shouldn't the NRA get whatever it wants from the Florida Legislature.  After all, when the NRA speaks, the Florida Republicans genuflect.

And, people with concealed weapons permits can bring their firearms into the Florida State Fair, can't they?

But Tampa City Attorney Jim Shimberg admitted that 'if we'd tried to regulate guns, it wouldn't have worked.'

Hey, why not have all the delegates carry their guns into the convention?  Then there would be a level playing field.

I'm for the super-soakers, water only. We had them at our inground pool for our grandchildren. Dive, splash, swim and get your sibs or cousins with the super-soaker. Meanwhile Nana will bring you fresh strawberries and pineapple bits in the spa !!!

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:32PM #9
mountain_man

....The list runs from air pistols to water pistols and also includes items such as masks, plastic or metal pipes, hair spray, mace, placards and string more than six inches long....

Many places are like that. It's insane, but that's what you get when you let ALEC write your laws for you. Just remember; guns don't kill - string does.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:33PM #10
mountain_man

Apr 7, 2012 -- 3:19PM, TPaine wrote:

I can understand the ban on water pistols. After all, Sarah Palin will be there and I remember what happened when Dorothy threw water on the Wicked Witch of the West. I guess they don't want to take a chance of having that repeated. I do wonder if people will be arrested in the RNC "Clean Zone" if their shoelaces are over 6 inches long.

I wouldn't wear a hoodie there either.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook