Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View GOP Convention: Water Pistols Are a Threat, Actual Guns are OK
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:41PM #11
mountain_man

Apr 7, 2012 -- 5:42PM, rangerken wrote:

...So while a water pistol ban may sound silly, it actually makes sense.

Yet they will allow guns that will do more damage than anything you can put in a water pistol.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:52PM #12
jane2

Apr 7, 2012 -- 9:41PM, mountain_man wrote:

Yet they will allow guns that will do more damage than anything you can put in a water pistol.

Indeed................................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 11:20PM #13
Unworthyone

Apr 7, 2012 -- 9:52PM, jane2 wrote:

A strict contructionist reading of the Constitution's second amendment, and it is clear Americans do not have a right to bear squirt guns.  Or rubber bands. Or cap guns.  Or butter knives.  Or plastic spoons.  Or pea shooters. Or sling shots.  Or spit wads. Or bean bags.  Or ping pong balls. 

This is AMERICA, by God!  And we will have ourselves some law and order!

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 11:29PM #14
jane2

Apr 8, 2012 -- 11:20PM, Unworthyone wrote:

Apr 7, 2012 -- 9:52PM, jane2 wrote:

A strict contructionist reading of the Constitution's second amendment, and it is clear Americans do not have a right to bear squirt guns.  Or rubber bands. Or cap guns.  Or butter knives.  Or plastic spoons.  Or pea shooters. Or sling shots.  Or spit wads. Or bean bags.  Or ping pong balls. 

...........    ;)  ...............................

And loaded pistols.............................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 12:22AM #15
mountain_man

Apr 8, 2012 -- 11:20PM, Unworthyone wrote:

A strict contructionist reading of the Constitution's second amendment, and it is clear Americans do not have a right to bear squirt guns.

Also, that strict constructionist reading says Americans don't have a right to own personal firearms.  A strict Re-constructionist reading does. That's the problem with re-constructionists; they always "construct" the Constitution to say what they want it to and to match their regressionist ideology and dogma.

Or rubber bands. Or cap guns.  Or butter knives.  Or plastic spoons.  Or pea shooters. Or sling shots.  Or spit wads. Or bean bags.  Or ping pong balls. 

And the Regressives have done that by creating a bigger government.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 1:20PM #16
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 1:28PM #17
Roodog

Regarding water pistols...I'm a chemist...and if I do say so myelf a very good one specializing in analytical inorganic chemistry. And I know of literally dozens of things that could be put inside a water pistol that if 'fired' into a person's face could cause death or blindness...and most I could make in my basement withOUT sophisticated lab equipment, and using only materials easily, and legally bought in supermarkets or hardware stores.

So while a water pistol ban may sound silly, it actually makes sense.

Ken

Banning water pistols may seem silly but so does allowing firearms (other than with security personnel) at the convention. People DO shoot politicians in this country!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 7:02PM #18
Mostyn32

Regarding water pistols...I'm a chemist...and if I do say so myelf a very good one specializing in analytical inorganic chemistry. And I know of literally dozens of things that could be put inside a water pistol that if 'fired' into a person's face could cause death or blindness...and most I could make in my basement withOUT sophisticated lab equipment, and using only materials easily, and legally bought in supermarkets or hardware stores.

So while a water pistol ban may sound silly, it actually makes sense.

Ken

Ken, I'm sure we'd all concede that you have a point about chemicals that can blind or main being loaded into water pistols, and that it makes sense to ban water pistols to prevent any such chemical warfare. But what about the bullets that can blind, main or kill that are loaded into handguns, which will be permitted on the convention floor? Stands to reason that guns of any shape or description have no place at a convention.  

As for six inches of string, strangulation wouldn't be possible. I'm not a big-boned woman, but an assassin would need more than a six-inch piece of string to strangle me! Six inches of string won't even go all the way around the average adult wrist.

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook